Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just got an email notification of the latest response to this thread.

Hard to believe it's been nearly eight years.

The main reason I scrubbed the project was that I needed the truck to be a truck. Attachments over and on the bed were a real pain because I need to be able to throw stuff in the bed. Animal feed, building supplies, etc. I also built a cage that my wife and daughters use to haul their goats. It fills the whole bed.

All of that aero stuff just got in the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-29-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-29-2020, 01:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Hard to believe it's been nearly eight years.
Which makes an eight hour response time impressive.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
The question remains, was there a better way to test the results?

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 12-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

little jona - '91 Dodge D 250 first gen cummins LE
Team Streamliner
90 day: 23.4 mpg (US)

Little Jona airo modded - '91 Dodge RAM 3/4 TON D 250 2×4 AUTO
Pickups
Team Cummins
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

The Salted Hound Jenny. - '87 Dodge Ram 50/D-50 5sp 4X4
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)

Jona Allison aero - '91 Dodge Ram D-250 Le
90 day: 20.76 mpg (US)
Is gravity not the most consistent power input known to man?
It takes out many of the variables that impact the engines power output at a consistent throttle position( yes these are variables /inconsistency that are relatively small ,so are some of the changes that are being chased).

Sounds like the OP did throttle stop testing.
setting there stop at 0 % throttle position. , in Neutral (this negates weather the computer is programmed to lock the torque converter clutch or have it in free spool for slower speed testing. Eg. GMC/Chevy Allison program running the TCC open till 5th[1st overdrive 0.71:1 ])

Gravity Drop Testing aka a more consistent version of Throttle Stop Testing was what I used to determine the air dam prototype that I built had a negative impact on my aero. I noted a reduction in speed on my 6% grade that is 3 miles long, this test was confirmed when Arrowhead ran my truck at Darko. Ditto for the bug deflector big negative (negated the 24% Improvement of my 3D boat tail canopy)

I thought his answer was pretty clear on additional testing is no.
For 2 reasons
1 Julian hook wasn't published yet nor was he participating in sharing his knowledge on this website yet . As well as Julian gets mad at me when I try and talk to him about pickup trucks as his book and I quote was specifically written for cars nowhere in the title does it say anything about trucks leave me alone." (Bitter taste words off most predators)

2 the concept proved unusable/ too troublesome in real life therefore was abandon.

The white paper is a good starting point for Research into where someone elce thought to look to correct the deficiencies of the produced 3 box pickup done to SAE standard, and of course lots of testing on these and more variables to find your best use case scenario of Form and Function.
Best mpg : 31.32mpg 100mi 3.193 USG 5/2/20

Former
'83 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2door 2wd O/D auto 3.73R&P
'79 Chevy K20 4X4 350ci 400hp msd custom th400 /np205. 7.5-new 14mpg modded befor modding was a thing
87' Hyundai Excel
83 ranger w/87 2.9 L FI2wd auto 18mpg on the floor
04 Mitsubishi Gallant 2.4L auto 26mpg
06 Subaru Forrester XT(WRX PACKAGE) MT AWD Turbocharged 18 plying dirty best of 26mpg@70mph
95Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 14-18mpg
04 Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 16-22mpg

Last edited by gumby79; 12-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Fix typo (s)
Old 12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
Is gravity not the most consistent power input known to man?
It takes out many of the variables that impact the engines power output at a consistent throttle position( yes these are variables /inconsistency that are relatively small ,so are some of the changes that are being chased).

Sounds like the OP did throttle stop testing.
setting there stop at 0 % throttle position. , in Neutral (this negates weather the computer is programmed to lock the torque converter clutch or have it in free spool for slower speed testing. Eg. GMC/Chevy Allison program running the TCC open till 5th[1st overdrive 0.71:1 ])

Gravity Drop Testing aka a more consistent version of Throttle Stop Testing was what I used to determine the air dam prototype that I built had a negative impact on my aero. I noted a reduction in speed on my 6% grade that is 3 miles long, this test was confirmed when Arrowhead ran my truck at Darko. Ditto for the bug deflector big negative (negated the 24% Improvement of my 3D boat tail canopy)

I thought his answer was pretty clear on additional testing is no.
For 2 reasons
1 Julian hook wasn't published yet nor was he participating in sharing his knowledge on this website yet . As well as Julian gets mad at me when I try and talk to him about pickup trucks as his book and I quote was specifically written for cars nowhere in the title does it say anything about trucks leave me alone." (Bitter taste words off most predators)

2 the concept proved unusable/ too troublesome in real life therefore was abandon.

The white paper is a good starting point for Research into where someone elce thought to look to correct the deficiencies of the produced 3 box pickup done to SAE standard, and of course lots of testing on these and more variables to find your best use case scenario of Form and Function.
Not sure how I come into this but I describe using gravity testing in my book (page 104).

Reply  Post New Thread