Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #71 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I can see the definite benefits of a foil insulator on the sunroof. With my car I could mount it to the moonroof.

But then again, I could install a solar panel there and reduce my dependance on the alternator, and maybe even wire it up so it could run the blower to keep the car cooler in the hot summer sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #72 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
More air!

We have a heat wave here that doesn't want to go away and tomorrow we're driving to the mountains again. Since we're taking our car I did a little math: Climbing hills + 5 people + baggage + 35°C (95°F) + A/C = more air going through the radiator. So I cut more holes in the grille block, doubling the open area in front of the radiator.

Previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I can see the definite benefits of a foil insulator on the sunroof. With my car I could mount it to the moonroof.
It appears to be working somewhat. Since the "reflective insert" spans the front 60% of the length of the glass roof, I touched the inside panels today after 6 hours in the sun. The rear panel was hotter than the middle and front panels. It's not much, but with the heat wave every bit counts. Hopefully by year's end we'll have a roof over the car, keeping both the sun and the snow off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6206.jpg
Views:	2619
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	6427  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 07-22-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I love it! It looks like a message written in some ancient / alien script.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #74 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I love it! It looks like a message written in some ancient / alien script.
You guessed it!

I won't reveal what alien language it is, but it's writen backwards and says "If you can read this in your mirror, you're driving too slow!!".

Just kidding I drive too slow for anyone to notice...

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I like the Kamm you built and think I will try to build a template for my car this weekend if the weather is decent. You have the benefit of having a hatchback so attachment is a bit easier. The route I will be going for final attachment is going to be double sided foam tape and adding tabs for attachment otherwise the template should turn out like your pre-bent kammback.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #76 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Here is a close-up of the grille block's workings:

The screws in the above picture are only to hold the sliding parts in place. Normally they also hold the block itself on top of the sliding parts.

Here you can see that the screw holes are elongated to allow sliding. A small strip of aluminum attaches the sliding part to the power lock motor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6266.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	6699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6269.JPG
Views:	880
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	6700  

The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Weather Spotter (08-26-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #77 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Brought to you by...

And now, Ladies and Gents, I present to you the mod which will hopefully double my milage:

I mean the EM window cling. It's about time I put it on, been in the drawer for months. Since this is the side of the car that gets photographed most often, then hopefully this will get more poeple interested.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering about the green leaf sticker on the front and rear windows, I can admit that I am not a maple tree grower In Poland (not sure if there is something similar in the rest of Europe) the green leaf sticker means that others should watch out, because the driver recently got his license. I have mine for more than a decade, but the wife got her's a year ago and doesn't drive much. But the real reason is not that we just got our licenses, but for others to think we did. That way hopefully there will be less flashing and honking when we drive slow.
Plus you can always interpret it as an eco thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	em_svieta.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	6870  

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 09-13-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #78 (permalink)
The PRC.

My stickers still havn't arrived.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #79 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

A month from now I have to get the car examined (registration), plus the time has come to replace the cam pulleys and belt. The water pump and coolant will also get replaced. Since the mechanic will have to drain the coolant and almost lift the engine, that will be the best moment to install the block heater, which I hope to order today. I just can't wait! Why oh why is this taking so long?

After having a good, long look at my engine and comparing it to all sorts of official documentation, I've noticed that the newer version has three extras:
  1. An air doser,
  2. An EGR cooler,
  3. A diesel particulate filter.
The newer version of my engine passes EURO 4 emissions standards, while mine was designed for EURO 3.

Today I'll ask the mechanic if he can install an EGR/coolant heat exchanger from the newer model while he's fooling around with the engine. Hopefully, this will shorten warm-up times (when not using the block heater) while slightly cleaning up my emissions and reducing fuel consumption.

Installing an air doser is also on my list, but will take some time to figure out how to control it: it is usually controlled by the ECU in a very complicated way, to allow better warm-up, EGR and DPF use. My ECU was made for the non-doser version, and reprogramming it isn't an option.

Adding a DPF is out of the question, until a retrofit kit produced. Way too complicated, and way too many problems.

I am temped to ask the mechanic to replace my alternator with one with a field wire, but maybe next time...

I also found my crankshaft position sensor, opening the way to an engine kill switch (I was already looking for a 4-pole relay to kill the signal to all of the injectors).

Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
The PRC.

From what I have read a DPF seems more hassle than it is worth, especially if ecodriving with low RPM as it never gets 'blown out' to clear.

For example TDI Taxis on the Channel Isles sometimes have trouble as they never get to go over 30 MPH (the island limit) to blow it out.

Of course on the Isle of Man out of town there is no speed limit. Oooh.

For these (and other) reasons we specifically avoided a DPF on Mrs A's TDI.

Tags
grille block, kammback, peugeot, wheel skirts