Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #191 (permalink)
The PRC.

Congratulations on the impending arrival Do you know what "make" it is yet ?

I know you want to avoid the parking lot syndrome but actually having both types available especially whilst you need to drive instead of bike might work out better in the medium to long term but its marginal. You may get better FE with the extra use you will be making of the car and the types of trips but you lose on the expense of upkeep, tax, insurance etc.

Its a difficult one to decide because the amount of upkeep is impossible to predict even with a brand new car.

Do you have the ability to transfer tax and/or insurance only to the car you are using at the time ?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #192 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Congratulations on the impending arrival Do you know what "make" it is yet ?
Hopefully - mine
Nah, we don't care at this point. We'll take whatever we get.

Both cars would have to be insured The law here doesn't really allow an unused car to be uninsured, in exceptional cases there is lots of paperwork and hassle.
Plus both cars would have to go to (= pay for) registration inspection each year.
And both would have to get driven every few weeks so they don't grow into the grass, and so that the rust on the brake discs will have fresh metal to bite into.

Now, IF one of us had a job which required a car, while the other needed a car for errands, then it would be a no brainer.

One option which came up temporarily was to get a small car and share it with our sister-in-law, who lives 2km away. She complained about needing a car part-time (she has two kids, plus her office was supposed to move to a harder-to-get-to place), but then her husband finally found out that taking the train/bus to work is simpler, faster and cheaper than driving.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Congrats on the small child

someone you can train shortly to reach the hard to get at bits in the back of the engine bay!

As for your car- sounds like you're still continuing to see good progress in your consumption- I think that Arragonis may be right- my best tanks in the iS happened when I had 3 people plus luggage in the car on the motorway.

Thinking about your need for a smapll car, would it be possible for you to book a hire car on the days that your wife has appointments?

That way you'd be paying a little, but avoiding the costs of actually owning the car?

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #194 (permalink)
The PRC.

Or, do you have a local city car club ? These are cars you can hire by the day or even by the hour as and when you need them.

If not maybe you could start one EDIT - and get your local authority to put in the designated parking etc.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
My last 3 tank average is 3.9 l/100km (60.7 mpg)!
WOW !
Any manufacturer would be quite happy to have that as a NEDC value !

Quote:
I have been perfecting technique.
It shows !

Quote:
First of all, I assumed that the engine is most efficient at 1700-2000 rpm (max torque is at 1750),
Since the ripped intake ducting on Hägar was replaced, he seems to like the low-rpm regions far better.
At least the short-term results are stunning - now I have to translate that into a full tank

Idling in gear (when warm) is very efficient in 3rd @ 40km/L or 94 mpg - better than trying to use the CC.
I'll have to try 4th and see if it's repeatable

Going 85 kph (53 mph) @ 43.5 km/L (102 mpg) - doing ??? rpm - with a bit of drafting. I'll try to repeat it tomorrow in the wee hours.

What will Svetlana do in these conditions ?

Quote:
the Wife is pregnant
Congratulations

At least you're giving me a chance to catch up on your FE

Quote:
On one hand, Svietlana is so big and powerful that the Wife don't want to drive her even when I'm sitting next to her
A 307SW surely isn't that big
I often see frail women getting out of monster-SUVs that would swallow Svietlana whole

Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #196 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Idling in gear (when warm) is very efficient in 3rd @ 40km/L or 94 mpg - better than trying to use the CC.
I'll have to try 4th and see if it's repeatable

Going 85 kph (53 mph) @ 43.5 km/L (102 mpg) - doing ??? rpm - with a bit of drafting. I'll try to repeat it tomorrow in the wee hours.

What will Svetlana do in these conditions ?
I'll have to remember to check next time.

Quote:
A 307SW surely isn't that big
I often see frail women getting out of monster-SUVs that would swallow Svietlana whole
The P307sw is pretty large for a station wagon (the only larger one which comes to mind is the Citroën C5), it's almost a minivan. A eurovan, in fact. But the Wife learned to drive in a 3-door Yaris with a tiny little engine. One of the things she can't get used to in our diesel is that it just keeps going in 2nd or even 3rd when she takes her foot off the gas. It freaks her out. Another is all the attention Svietlana tends to get, which doesn't make the situation around us any safer
But little blonde women in big SUVs are a totally different story...

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #197 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
One of the things she can't get used to in our diesel is that it just keeps going in 2nd or even 3rd when she takes her foot off the gas. It freaks her out.
Because it coasts better ?
Going off the gas with a diesel should give some healthy (if somewhat inefficient) engine braking.

Quote:
Another is all the attention Svietlana tends to get, which doesn't make the situation around us any safer
The mods are reversible, you could consider removing them while your wife uses the car more.

On the experimental front :

- I couldn't repeat the 85 kph (53 mph) @ 43.5 km/L (102 mpg)

- 30 while idling (about 800 rpm) in 4th works though it's seriously lugging the engine when going up the slightest incline ; level or even slightly downhill it copes surprisingly well

Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #198 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Because it coasts better ?
Going off the gas with a diesel should give some healthy (if somewhat inefficient) engine braking.
No, what scares her is the torque which keeps the car going at low speeds in idle. In the Yaris she learned to drive, trying to idle in any gear above 1st would make the engine die. She can't get used to the car still pulling in 2nd, going much faster than she planned. Now she doesn't even drive it, which doesn't help getting used to it

Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
No, what scares her is the torque which keeps the car going at low speeds in idle.
Any car does that if you're gentle enough.

Push in the clutch - sorted.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #200 (permalink)
The PRC.

The torque aspect at idle and the sudden loss of speed due to the higher compression when changing gear catch people out when swapping Petrol -> diesel. It also happens the other way - I have stalled loads of times since swapping back or had the kangaroo jump when running higher revs and swapping 1st->2nd when the petrol engine doesn't slow as fast as I'm used to.

Tags
grille block, kammback, peugeot, wheel skirts