Register Now

View Poll Results: Nuclear plant in YOUR town
Support it 30 58.82%
Oppose it 16 31.37%
Don't Care 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I'd be fine living right next to a wave power machine, a solar array (PV or heat), a wind farm, and even a geothermal power plant. A methane digester would be fine at a reasonable distance -- outside the range of an explosion.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A friend of mine once said that humanity is socially immature, meaning that civilization and technology have run away at the speed of light, but our DNA has hardly changed in the last 10.000 years.
There's no reason at all why our DNA would need to be changing to better use technology.

DNA decides what a living creature will look like and how it'll function.
It doesn't decide how that creature behaves.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
What that friend meant was that DNA determines how fit we are (both physically and mentally) for the environment we live in, so 10.000 years ago we were built to live a not too complicated life, using not too complicated tools. Our DNA hasn't changed much at all since then, but we're living in places, using tools and doing things that "we weren't built for". Just because we (i.e. humanity as a whole) know how make a nuke bomb doesn't mean that we (i.e. certain individuals or groups of individuals) can handle that responsibility.

Just because a 2 year old who knows how to open the drawer and take a knife out doesn't imply that (s)he will handle it in a safe manner.

Well, this is heading off topic, sorry.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Funny thing about power plants in general. Many times do not supply power to surrounding community but to the customers of the power company.

I would want the owners of company to be local. Someone who will share the pain of any mishap. A nuclear power plant would bring a lot of technical jobs to my rural community.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #55 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A friend of mine once said that humanity is socially immature, meaning that civilization and technology have run away at the speed of light, but our DNA has hardly changed in the last 10.000 years. Genetically, we are cavemen who have iPods and nuclear warheads. We have toys and tools that our great grandparents couldn't have even dreamed about, but we are still too dumb to use them in a safe and responsible way.
"we're barely out of the jungle on this planet, what we are is semi-civilized beasts with baseball caps and automatic weapons" - George Carlin

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
NES Collector

Tom Baker - '03 Toyota Echo
90 day: 44.53 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 Dodge Caravan 2WD
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)
Ok I’m going to catch a lot of flack for this post, but here it is. I did not poll witch type of plant you would want in your town because well duh everyone, including me, would pick solar. If I had to pick nuclear or coal I would pick coal. At least if the coal plant had a catastrophic failure it can be cleaned up and I could still live in my town after the disaster. As far as wind power I live in Massachusetts and they have been trying to put a wind farm of the coast for the last 10 years. They have done all kinds of studies on its “impact” on the environment. They have cited that it will kill some seagulls. Now don’t get me wrong I care about the environment, but to a point. If some birds die from flying into the wind turbines so be it. Now if the plant were to kill off a keystone species, then I would have a problem with it. Other wise humans come first. Same thing goes for hydro. Some fish species will die but the lake that supplies the plant will allow other species to thrive. I also agree the conservation of energy is very important, but controlling the price to try to get people to use less. I don’t like the sound of that, only in emergencies, otherwise let the free market set the price.

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I understand. A state of reclusion is that of being marked by withdrawal from society (which essentially is what you are describing). Opting out or avoidance of it is a form of it.
Not at all the same thing. A small town or rural area is far more social than any city. Indeed, if I really wanted to avoid all meaningful human contact, I'd move to Manhattan.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by echomodder View Post
At least if the coal plant had a catastrophic failure it can be cleaned up and I could still live in my town after the disaster.
The difference is that nuclear plants are only a "disaster" in the very rare cases when they suffer catastrophic failure, so it comes as a surprise. The coal plant is a disaster every day it operates, so you don't notice the ongoing disaster because it has become normal.

Care to guess what's the ecologically healthiest place in Europe? The 20-mile exclusion zone around Chernobyl :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (03-31-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #59 (permalink)
NES Collector

Tom Baker - '03 Toyota Echo
90 day: 44.53 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 Dodge Caravan 2WD
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Care to guess what's the ecologically healthiest place in Europe? The 20-mile exclusion zone around Chernobyl :-)
Yes but there's a reason that it's an "exclusion zone". I wonder if you would move into that zone or feed your family with food grown or hunted there.

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I answered "support" with the following caveats:

1. It needs to be a safer design than the old 50 year old designs we have now. Something self-regulating, like pebble bed.

2. We need to get the political clout together to actually create reprocessing plants. We have the technology to reprocess spent fuel over and over again until there's pretty much nothing left but a tiny bit of low-grade material that's much easier to dispose of (and much less of it!)

3. The NRC needs teeth to actually enforce safety, and Congress needs to leave them the hell alone.

Oh, and I want an RTG for my basement.
I see your caveat 2 and 3 as being contradictory...

The NRC has a history of being obstructionist to nuclear energy production in general, particularly the chair Gregory Jaczko. In order to support nuclear energy in the short term, you have to have a secure place to store spent fuel. NRC has effectively killed the Yucca Mountain storage facility and redacted all their documents made public through FOIA related to it. If they are given more authority, it will likely eliminate nuclear energy in the US altogether.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread