Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2022, 11:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Thoughts on just deleting the passenger side mirror altogether? With a panoramic rearview mirror, you might not need the passenger side at all.

How big are the mirrors?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
I'm not willing to delete the passenger mirror, because that could be a safety issue. I drive in an urban environment, often with heavy traffic. Being able to see into my blind spots is pretty important.

That said, a camera setup might fill the role. But I'm not sure where to put the screen. Also, there's the question of cost-to-benefit. For example, if replacing the mirror with a camera only improves fuel economy by 1%, is the juice really worth the squeeze?
Old 04-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
With my corolla I saw a sizable gain, I think it was something like 3-5%. It was enough for me to keep it off. I tried the little mirror just inside the window and it didn't work too great. Visibility was good in the corolla, just had to look over my shoulder when changing lanes like you should already be doing. It's called the blind spot because you can't see it in your mirrors! The only issue I had with removing the mirror was for backing up, you can't see how things line up on that side of the car. It took a little bit to get used to, I drove through Detroit rush hour (to and from work) two days in a row for work with no problems, bumper to bumper traffic and you better be in the correct lane a good mile ahead of time kind of traffic.

The Following User Says Thank You to ps2fixer For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-26-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 03:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For me, removing mirrors is not an option. My driving is mostly urban, including plenty of parking lots. So in addition to watching out for vehicles, I also have to watch out for pedestrians who will brazenly step into your path and dare you to hit them (so they can sue you).

Replacing a mirror with a camera might work, but that may be more time/effort/cost than I care for. I'm mainly looking for cheap easy stuff that will have a measurable effect.

I already have a "real" project car (an older BMW). So the stuff I'm doing with the Prius is just a few minutes here and there, when I have some free time. Actually, pretty soon I'll be launching into a complete suspension overhaul of the BMW. So I may not have time to tinker with the Prius for awhile.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Mirror is probably not worth it. My passenger mirror has been off for 6 years now and its kinda annoying.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
I'd remove my passenger mirror except I use it when backing into parking spots where my passenger side is right next to a planter box island. This is my preferred parking lot location because it is often in the shade and gives my driver's side the most room between other cars which prevents door dings and scratches.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just a quick update: another fillup since installing the smaller mirrors. And this was my best fillup to date! It came out to 63.45 mpg! That's 3 fillups since installing the motorcycle mirrors, with an average of 62 mpg. The 3-tank average before installing the mirrors was 60.8 mpg. So the mirrors seem to be making a difference. So I guess I won't be reinstalling the stock mirrors. Next up will be the pizza pans.

That said, driving conditions can have a huge effect on fuel economy. Over the course of several hundred miles, that can add up. And it can wash out any gains (or losses) from modifying the car. So I wouldn't take these mpg results as gospel.

I'm thinking of doing a coast-down test. That might provide more conclusive data. But coast-down testing each individual mod will be very tedious. And to be blunt, I just don't have time for that. So I would like to do a "stock vs eco-modded" test. For example, I would test the car completely stock, then install some eco-mods (grille block, mini-mirrors, wheel covers) and compare the results. At the very least, we should be able to see if eco-modding is worthwhile.

Let me know what you think about that.

And last but not least, my youtube channel reached 1000 subs! To celebrate, I'm doing a giveaway. If you want to win some free swag, check out the video below.

Last edited by Blacktree; 05-04-2022 at 02:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacktree For This Useful Post:
woodstock74 (03-23-2023)
Old 05-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Summer has arrived in Florida, and I'm using the A/C every day. As a result, fuel economy has dropped. Before, I could easily get mpg in the low 60s. Now I'm struggling to get mid 50s. So I'm thinking I should run out a couple tanks of gas before continuing the mods, so we can have a better comparison.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Temps up here in the extreme north (Michigan) are hitting 60's and in a few days it's going to the 80's, crazy how it went from basically just above freezing to boom middle of summer lol.

AC takes a lot of energy, not sure if much can be done to lower the load besides putting less cooling demand on it (higher temp setting). Pretty sure it's electric in your car, so it won't need to run the engine, but it's quite a draw on the hybrid battery.

If you have a grill block, you might see gains opening it back up some since the heat from the heat pump action of the AC system is pushed to the condenser up front

Another idea I just had, when you first get in the car, turning the AC on would help warm the engine up a little faster (heat pushed into radiator), but it's also likely will be loading the engine indirectly when still not up to operating temp. Couple ideas to play around with at least.

The steering wheel has an AC button, you can turn it on/off as needed, but I suspect the auto controls work fairly well at cycling the pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to ps2fixer For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
AC takes a lot of energy, not sure if much can be done to lower the load besides putting less cooling demand on it (higher temp setting).
Phase brought this up recently in his thread ( https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post666421 ), but using a higher temp setting usually uses more energy because most cars use the heater to warm the air conditioned air.

From Toyota's "neural network" AC diagram, we can see that in addition to controlling the compressor, blower speed, recirculation setting, etc Toyota uses the "air mix damper servo" for "temperature control correction." I.e. it can send varying amounts of air conditioned air through the heater core to achieve the desired cabin temperature.

I only recently started using my scangauge on my gen3 Prius, but it does have a gauge for the number of watts used by the air conditioner. So far the temperature has been mild so I haven't experimented with it yet, but I suspect seeing AC on max low and adjusting the fan speed will be best. If that is too cold, manually alternating between AC on and AC off will probably beat the "neural network." But we'll see this summer...

The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (05-13-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread