Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?
Toyota Prius 22 34.92%
VW TDI 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I would advise against running veggie in a TDI, especially the newer ones >03. Unless you're very anal about it, you WILL end up with very costly repairs. Go with biodiesel instead, much safer.

$750 must be for a rebuilt turbo, else you have to tell me where you get them! You have to add labor to that, roughly 3 hours. You can even do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, there are very good howtos on tdiclub.com.

If you drive the car hard now and then, to make sure the vanes do not stick with soot the turbo should last for a very long time.

Pretty often the turbo is replaced when it did not really needed to. If your vanes are sticky your might just need to have it disassembled and cleaned, a 5 hours job. Still less expensive than a new turbo. Oftentimes the vacuum actuator fails, if you go to the dealership they'll replace the whole turbo unit, as the actuator alone is not a part they have. However, vacuum actuators can be bought aftermarket for roughly $100.

Injection pumps failed en masse when usld was introduced. Lubrication packages in the fuel have improved since and you don't hear much about those failing anymore. If you're still worried you just add a bit of ashless 2 cycle oil, or even better 2% biodiesel, and your pump won't fail.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
to answer both of those...my wife and I want to get a larger car, because we (especially she) do not feel that the mirage is a safe car to take our son around in.
If you are really concerned about safety, you might want to do some research into what cars are actually safest, instead of going with your feelings. Size is only one factor, and far from the most important. That (provably false) gut feeling that bigger equals safer is part of what got us into the SUV mess.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
I voted for TDI if you convert to bio-diesel and do lots of highway traveling. I'd vote for Prius though if you do mostly in town driving.

The vote for TDI is because those motors can last 300K+ miles and if you convert to bio-diesel the operating costs would be much cheaper than the Prius (Prius having to have the battery pack replaced after roughly 5 years of service under heavy use)

EDIT: I added a poll to help visualize the votes.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Binger -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
to answer both of those...my wife and I want to get a larger car, because we (especially she) do not feel that the mirage is a safe car to take our son around in.

I've considered the new insight...and I think that we would like to stay around $15,000ish...this would be just over our price range...yet its a good option. However in nebraska you really bend over and take it on taxes when you buy a "brand new" car.
Ok, that makes sense. You've been doing some number crunching and a (new) Insight didn't fall into your price window. Yeah, I always imagine the little kiddie in the center-rear of the car for maximum safety. Get him two big super-soft cuddly stuffed Panda-bears as passengers for each side.

(I voted Prius)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tobaloula Rusttbukkitt - '95 Citroen Ax Elation
90 day: 44.11 mpg (US)
I've given a vote for the TDi, simply because, if you treat it right, it'll last donkeys years (the turbo notwithstanding).
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
TDI Turbo swap is easy; I've had one off on a Bug before; 1~2 hours for the entire swap.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Do TDIs eat turbos? I never heard that. I've driven diesels since 1983 and never had any turbo problems. Any OHC engine needs timing belts changed from time to time. If I could fold myself up into one, I'd prefer the VW.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
TDI all the way. I'm a little biased though, hehe.

Seriously though, I've owned my TDI since 2005 (2nd owner), and the only maintenance I've EVER done is oil and filter changes. I am getting ready for my 100k maintenance items though, which should run me about a grand. Then I am set for another 100k. Not bad at all.

There is no particular reason why the turbo or injection pumps should ever fail. Loads of people make it to 300k miles on the originals, though you hear more often from those who don't. New turbos can be found everywhere for around $900. Most of the people who think that TDIs are junk drove them like little old ladies all day long. You do have to exercise the engine to keep it running clean. To me this only means one nice full throttle pull after my highway cruising is over. This keeps the turbo clean and freely moving, and gets everything nice and hot. Also, the electrical gremlins vary widely from year to year, which is exactly why I bought a 2003. My engine and vehicle had been exactly the same since 99.5 so all the bugs were mostly worked out.

I would not advise veggie oil in any TDI, it can work, but only for so long. Bio-diesel for sure though!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
If I were to run biodiesel which is better to run B20? B50? B100?

From what I have found most places in the omaha area use bio diesel that is made from soy rather than recycled resturant stuff.

For those of you who are against using veggi oil kits...what are your reasons? I have read alot of bad...but it seems that most people who complain the most about them use poorly constructed kits that don't have enough heat in the oil by the time it gets to the rail. Or they were put on an engine that already was on its way to failure and they blame it on speeding up the failure process...which theres really no way to tell.

I like the idea of grease kits. My drive is 40miles both ways...and the really cool thing is that there are good stretches at the begining and end to drive on for the purge cycle.
5 min from home to the highway...50min on the highway...5min through town to work...the the opposite way. This is exactly how the companys selling these kits recomend they be used.

Still up for debate...

I really like the newer jetta wagon. Very nice car with lots and lots of cargo space.
I also like the prius...but I do feel like im in a luxury car when in the jettas.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Do TDIs eat turbos?
If you listen to the dealer. . . . .
My car has 190,000 miles on it original turbo. The dealer told me (last week) that the turbo was completely shot, and I needed an injector pump ASAP. LOL

Quote:
Any OHC engine needs timing belts changed from time to time.
Well some have chains that do last very long time.
That said you can get the 100,000 mile timing belt setup for the TDI no problem. Only "issue" is you need several special tools to swap the belt.

Quote:
If I could fold myself up into one, I'd prefer the VW.
If you don't mind my asking, how big are you?
Don't forget you can buy a Passat TDI.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread