Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Rudolf Diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection

No emissions requirements in 1893.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetter View Post
The Aprilia 125 looks very promising and it may be possible to leave it as a motorcycle, too. Take a look at how the first Vetter Streamliner Kit is fitting on a Kawasaki 250 Ninja:

We will be doing a test run between Las Vegas and Barstow November 20, 2011. Anybody want to ride with us?

Craig
Sorry to hijack this thread.... but CRAIG!!!!!! You finally are using a Ninja 250!!! AWESOME!!!!

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alan is away on a trip right now but I have forwarded your comments to him. I am anxiously awaiting his report. In the mean time, will you be able to ride with us Nov 20, between Las Vegas and Barstow? It may be tough!

Craig
Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Alan is away on a trip right now but I have forwarded your comments to him. I am anxiously awaiting his report. In the mean time, will you be able to ride with us Nov 20, between Las Vegas and Barstow? It may be tough!

Craig
I assume you are responding to my PM with that post.

Vegas is a far ways away from New York!

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I expect to hold another Vetter Challenge at Mid Ohio next summer. July 20-22. See you there?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
My understanding is that EFI is mostly to meet governmental emission requirements
One of the big advantages of FI is being able to alter the fuel mixture "map". Instead of having a mixture set for idle (pilot jet), midrange (needle jet), and WOT (main jet) like a carb has, a FI system can breakdown the metering into smaller adjustments based on the specific needs of the engine at a certain RPM.

I'm pretty sure an injector will atomize the fuel better as well, and meter small amounts of fuel more accurately. Current automotive FI systems also go into Deceleration Fuel Cut Off (DFCO) mode that stops fuel flow during coasting to increase FE.

Overall it's more flexible, accurate, and efficient.

Chances are if the same engine makes more power or gets better FE with a carb, the FI is not adjusted properly.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
Patrick – yeah, the “jackshaft” was an unintended consequence, and I acknowledge that it will reduce my driveline efficiency, but its there now and fabrication has finished with reasonable solution, so I’ll stick with it! But if I posted images and weights, I would be interested in how big you think the losses will be. My stock motor gives (supposedly) 7.5hp, and I’m aiming to up this to 10hp to reach the 100mph target – would another 0.5hp cover the losses?
I think I saw a table that did a good job comparing chain drives and adding a jackshaft. I think I remember their being a fairly large penalty for adding a second set of sprockets and another chain, something the Land Speed motorcycle racers consider when building an enclosed bike for Bonneville.

Check out Landspeedracer.com, there is a section devoted exclusively to motorcycles. Check out posts by "Seldom Seen Slim" IMO a huge asset to the LSR community. Others as well.

One side note: Guys like Craig Vetter are very uncommon. If he gives you advice on building something, your ears should perk. He knows a little about drawing board vs. real world experience. You are very fortunate to have him participate in this thread, and should be very slow to dismiss said advice, even if you disagree.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
Check out Landspeedracer.com, there is a section devoted exclusively to motorcycles. Check out posts by "Seldom Seen Slim" IMO a huge asset to the LSR community. Others as well.
They also run one of the only turbo 250 Ninjas around. The wife actually rides it.

I think it has gone 120-ish at Bonneville.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #89 (permalink)
Stick your neck out...

Update

Update 009
Here we are at the halfway stage!

The inlet is working its way down to the carb, section by section, but its a slow tedious process. Each section has to be welded, then the internal bore cut for smooth flow and polished, before the next section can be welded.

It looks like a real Frankenstein part on the outside but the bore is quite smooth, better than the rough cast original. The bore is also about 2mm bigger, so it should flow as well.

The big question (as Jay pointed out) is how bad will the fuel drop-out be. All inlet ports have some degree of drop-out (where atomized fuel particles fall out of suspension) but most avoid “pooling” because the port runs “downhill” into the combustion chamber. My “drop-out” will be greater than most due to the large vertical climb and the cool port wall, which makes “pooling” a serious problem. One advantage that I have is the ability to test the port on the standard C90 and see how bad it is.

As an interesting “aside”, earlier in this thread Patrick mentioned the Honda CT90 trail version which I note has a similar carburettor location, although much less extreme

Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Polished intake port, are you sure that's a good idea? Standard practice is to smooth out inperfections but to leave a rough surface.

Reply  Post New Thread