Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #151 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Hey Fabio! I want some parts!

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #152 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But most of us - ok, some of us - don't live lives that involve doing only one particular thing. But I can also drive up the mountain on a snowy winter day to go skiing, or ford streams on dirt roads out in the desert.

I worked it out as about 17 HP, from the fact that it'll hold about 65 mph on a 6% downgrade.
No offense but I think this is part of the problem with the US, there really is no need to be able to go 65mph fording streams going up a mountain.

My 82 suburban pulling 2 trailers weighing in at a total of 10,000lbs would climb a mountain, I see no reason that going 65mph up the mountain was a necessary requirement, but it could go up any legal grade, albeat slowly.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #153 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
...but it could go up any legal grade, albeat slowly.
Which would be fine, if you had the (un)common courtesy to pull over in the turnouts and let other people by. Most people who pull trailers like that (or who just can't handle the idea that roads might have curves) don't.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #154 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Such seriousness with the seat belts.
I'm not trying to talk anyone else into shredding their seat belts of course.. I am clearly in the wrong, but it's not like my irrationality is challenging an issue any more rational.
My actual logic in not wearing my seat belt is that if I drive my Prius and I wreck it, I would be ejected before I could be protected by any of the safety precautions that I despise so.
Well, I'm curious about the status of this project too... unfortunately it looks like his ebay auctions are shut down... and a websearch showed that his name might be "Brent Springer"... and I found this article which stated an Ohio man named Brent Springer was in critical condition from an accident (where nobody was wearing their seatbelts)... unfortunately the full text of the article is behind a paywall.. does anybody have access to their archive for free? Perhaps from a library or something? Local news | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

NOTE: I have NO IDEA if his name actually is Brent Springer, or if he is the same person mentioned in this article, although I assume it is a rather rare name.

I hope he is well and on his way to recovery... I couldn't find an obit, so that is good at least.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #155 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Two problems, the person in the article is listed as 33, Fabio's lists his age as 22 on the forum. And the accident was near Cincinnati, but Fabio said he lives in Toledo.

Now it would still match if he lied about his age here and was visiting or moved to Cincinnati area... but it becomes less likely.

http://www.fox19.com/story/16013358/...shes-into-semi
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Gray Jellybean - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 62.76 mpg (US)
Hmmm, interesting thoughts on proper generator size/type. On the wankel: how efficient is a rotary if it only has to one one rpm? I'd bet it's efficiency goes way up. Another thought is a 2 cycle. VERY efficient from a power to weight ratio standpoint, and direct injection advances could make it less polluting and more fuel efficient. Finally, what if we used the ICE in a volt way? Charge the battery most of the time, then switch it to add power for acceleration. Granted, probably beyond the shade tree engineer, but an extra 14 hp that could be a good bit of torque if geared short enough.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #157 (permalink)
wrx4me...

no worries - '91 Subaru legacy L
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)

weevee - '08 suzuki vstrom dl650
90 day: 61.22 mpg (US)

wrx - '09 Subaru wrx sedan
90 day: 29.8 mpg (US)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine - '09 kawasaki ninja 250 se

Connie - '09 kawasaki concours
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
I just disable and rip out the extra safety equipment.

I do this in the shop as well. I ask customers if they want their extra airbags. The say no I rip them out. Customers who have a broken AC system and don't ask for it to be repaired I ask them if they want me to rip it out and put a shorter belt so they can save gas( I explain it won't be much but it cools their engine better(which is ALWAYS better in the summer) and its not added weight or pulley problems). I also ask if they want their tires inflated to max sidewall and then explain that its reasonably safe and not an issue. I would be careful advocating this for anyone else. people here are really nice and if something went wrong and it wasn't because something I had changed they are very unlikely to sue, whereas I'm not sure if thats the case in your areas.
All of us Tennesseans are nice folks, even after transplanting to Va... :-)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #158 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
With a start-stop system (performing like a kill-switch, but all automatically) the inner-city mileage would be not so much unfavorable comparing to the hybrid driveline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
Another thought is a 2 cycle. VERY efficient from a power to weight ratio standpoint, and direct injection advances could make it less polluting and more fuel efficient.
I'm also favorable to 2-stroke engines due to their lighter and more compact design.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #159 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh YEAH! I love Problem 5 - 3 ton SUV's are fine but 1/2 ton Diesels are BAD JU JU

Reply  Post New Thread