Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackel View Post
My question is, what is the cost of propane or natural gas? I have no clue...
In Tacoma, WA, sort of near my house there's a CNG fueling station. It costs $2.89/gallon equivalent (equivalent to gasoline for distance traveled???). Or is it per gallon at like 3000 psi, or what. I don't get it.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
In Tacoma, WA, sort of near my house there's a CNG fueling station. It costs $2.89/gallon equivalent (equivalent to gasoline for distance traveled???). Or is it per gallon at like 3000 psi, or what. I don't get it.
Generally they charge you per equivalent to a gallon of gas, otherwise it would say FT^3

You should note that because CNG is generally not well researched by most people and that prices vary A LOT from one pumping station to another (much like the overpriced E85 I encounter occasionally) It would be sort of like gas being $4.99 at one place and $2.50 5 miles away.

The best way around this is to get the older faster at home filling stations as the gas is almost always much cheaper at home than through a station. Even with the cost of the "disposable" pump.

Quote:
gotta have a licensed installer AND you have to have an emissions approved conversion kit for your specific vehicle.... sounds like lots of red tape.... wonder why?.
LoL, is that a joke? the reason is quite obvious, if we got enough normal people to force the issue maybe the reason would start giving up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Is it hard to convert an old car to CNG? That way, there may be no emissions requirement. But where I live there aren't any emissions issues anyway. I had no idea that a regular car could be so easily converted to CNG. I thought it would be a major engine change.
No more difficult than propane, just need higher pressure lines and equip and an old car is much easier than a new car because it already has a carburator which is needed for propane or CNG, no fuel injection for you! The motor actually runs exactly the same on gas as it does on gasoline, just much cleaner, no modifications at all except the obvious carburator fractioning setup needed.

As for those $100-$200 kits they are generally big enough to run a lawn mower, maybe a motorcycle if your lucky and also very illegal.

I would think one could buy a used CNG pumping system from someone and install it yourself (as complex as repluming and installing a gas water heater) and buy a used car with CNG already there or a Mexican special and just not talk about it and get away with it.

Main issue though is that you could never fill up with natural gas at a legit station if your car isn't certified and like many things the wrong word to the wrong person at the wrong time might result in a $10k per day fine.

Whats the deal with non EPA conversions? [Archive] - Natural Gas Vehicle Owner Community

We need to work to get the price reduced dramatically and get exposure out there so people know CNG is a legit solution.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking cng conversion

I'd like to get my hands on one of those $100-$200 conversion kits. Maybe I missed it in the thread. Do you have a url or a name? The only company i have found so far is CNGoutfitters.com. You can get a kit for $1500-2k. I hear the trick is getting a tank. There are some out there that are not certified, out of China, and some people think you can use a propane 'tank' - that's just asking for a lot of trouble.

I think these Mexican installations could give cng conversions a bad name. They need to be done by certified installers (the above website certifies people as well).

It will be interesting to see how this alternative fuel thing plays out in the next year.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenson View Post
I think these Mexican installations could give cng conversions a bad name. They need to be done by certified installers (the above website certifies people as well).

It will be interesting to see how this alternative fuel thing plays out in the next year.
I highly doubt the Mexicans who are in MEXICO doing conversion for MEXICANS will give CNG a bad name, just like the Brazillians they have been installing CNG systems for many years, longer than we have in the US.

You should also note that many of the parts they use are identical to the ones used on certified versions in the US (some are actually thicker).

Given that Mexico has more installations than we do and Brazil has us beat by a long shot I would think they are probably giving it a better rep than the restrictive setups here in the states. How often do you hear of a CNG car blowing up in Mexico or Brazil for that matter?

If I could I would have one of my beaters converted in Mexico with the best components they have and install my own compressor here at home. I would be willing to take the risk if I had the resources to drive almost to central america without getting robbed and beat. Some of their systems are more flexable and impressive than what you can get here, they just aren't legal here.

I do NOT believe at all that CNG has to be as expensive as it is in the US, with volume I think the price could easily be dropped by at least a fourth even with the restrictive inspection scheduals, trouble is someone really big has to push for it. CNG is actually a VERY simple system, tanks should not be very expensive since they are just a metal cylinder, ditto on the carburator and lines. Its just shamefull how our country has to treat anything remotely outside the main stream.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
CNG is the classic chicken-and-the-egg syndrome. Or better yet a Catch-22. People won't buy CNG cars without an infrastructure in place. CNG suppliers won't invest in the distribution infrastructure without more CNG cars to sell to. Congress would have to decide to fund the infrastructure, then it might happen.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
CNG is the classic chicken-and-the-egg syndrome. Or better yet a Catch-22. People won't buy CNG cars without an infrastructure in place. CNG suppliers won't invest in the distribution infrastructure without more CNG cars to sell to. Congress would have to decide to fund the infrastructure, then it might happen.
Yes it is like the chicken and the egg but for different reasons, not infastructure but simple awareness that it is an option.

All CNG folks I have met have dual fuel and the infastructure is in most peoples homes already (at least in town and city) There are a lot of people interested even with the %%%% price for an in home unit but because there is so little exposure there isn't the demand there would be should a nationwide campaign toute it. In fact if you want a legit system with all the costs it is downright frustrating to go through the red tape to get it on, your local housing commission or neighborhood board can determine if you can have one in your house or on your property. This kind of BS is what really turns people off. That and the companies that sell systems commonly are downright disinterested in installation their systems, never could figure out how they are in business without wanting to sell anything.

The main issue though for a huge response beyond hobbiests again is price and without the knowlege there won't be the demand to make the price of equip come down. Nice chicken and the egg. But again even at current demand the price would not have to be anywhere near where it is now; should some relatively minor changes be made for certification. It doesn't need to cost the amount it does to get certified, much like effective crash tests could be done for much less money to allow for smaller car companies to come in the picture.

Such is the world we live in, only mainstream is OK all others will be taxed and regulated out of existance.

Last edited by rmay635703; 09-20-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

living in the great red state of texas, where oil is the blood of the economy, its my firm opinion that anything that can reduce or eliminate this nations dependency on expensive oil ( CNG ) will be bought out by the oil companies.

then they will raise the price to near or above the price of gasoline to discourage usage, and once again, the cheapest option is paying 4.00 per gallon for gasoline. they already did it with ethanol, which is only .20 cents cheaper than gasoline in my neighborhood, and at 10-12 mpg in my taurus on ethanol, it then becomes more expensive than gasoline.

if CNG becomes popular enough i fear the oil companies will dip into their never ending depths of wealth, buy out the natural gas companies, place a surcharge or tax on each gallon equivalent of CNG, and raise the price of natural gas in our homes to make at home filling as or more expensive than filling in their taxed filling stations.

then -- given the cost of converting, to save little to no money at the pump, the majority of americans will say "#### that, (insert blasphemous rumor about inefficiency or danger of cng powered cars here), ill keep my hummer running on gasoline!!"

oil companies have a monopoly over us, and to make things worse they have enough money to buy out our alternative fuels, and enough power to force legislation enacting a web of red tape keeping us from cheaper, more eco- friendly fuel options.

the united states isnt just dependent on oil, its run by the people who depend on our oil dependency to keep rich!

call me a conspirist, but this is what i believe
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwaterguide View Post
Even the Water Fuel Conversion Kits - How Using Water As Fuel Helps Cut Your Gas Consumption Recently,there is increased awareness among many drivers of a technology that uses plain water tosupplement the cars' gasoline consumption. Called a water fuel conversion kit, it is a simpleadd-on to your current car engine that uses your car battery to carry out an electrolysis on water to produce Hydroxy gas (HHO). This Hydroxy gas is used to supplement the burning ofgasoline in the car's engine.You can truly get better mileage ......carwaterguide.blogspot.com

Hydrogen generator kit for car can be better than gasoline or oil additives to raise gas mileage. When you make or do it on your own, you can save money on gas but will save lots of dollars on the kit and reproduce the system for other automobiles on your own.
Have you tried this on your vehicle? If so what was the outcome?
I have read that this is a fraud in articles but who knows if it is just dis-info from the oil companies. If anyone has tried this please tell us if and how well it worked.

Last edited by sweethe; 10-03-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethe View Post
Have you tried this on your vehicle? If so what was the outcome?
I have read that this is a fraud in articles but who knows if it is just dis-info from the oil companies. If anyone has tried this please tell us if and how well it worked.
I doubt it's disinformation from oil companies.

Here's a fairly good write up from someone in industry
Fuel saving gadgets - a professional engineer's view
Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
LPG is forbidden for road use in Brazil, but it's not so uncommon to find backyard conversions. Often, it just has a hose connected to the carburettor (or the throttle-body if it has a TBI) and a valve to be connected to an average home LPG bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Given that Mexico has more installations than we do and Brazil has us beat by a long shot I would think they are probably giving it a better rep than the restrictive setups here in the states. How often do you hear of a CNG car blowing up in Mexico or Brazil for that matter?
I've only heard about CNG cars exploding in Brazil when the owner was trying to fill a home LPG bottle with the gas. An average LPG setup pressure is 225psi while CNG goes from 3000 to 3600. Also, the maximum pressure an average CNG tank is certified to hold up is around 13500psi.

Reply  Post New Thread