Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I did not make it up, I just recall what others call apex.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Mr. Scary - '07 Ford Mustang GT Race Car

The Truck - '12 Ford F-150 Scab EcoBoost FX4

The 5.0 - '12 Ford Mustang GT Vert Brembo Premium

Da Foci - '14 Ford Focus SE
This is how you want to hypermile a corner if you can't take the corner at the same speed as the entry/exit straight. This will give you the best "roll" through the corner.

Constant radius as smooth as possible.

The faster you take the corner the less energy you use.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Volvo 360 - '85 Volvo 360

Peugeot - '01 Peugeot 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
This is how you want to hypermile a corner if you can't take the corner at the same speed as the entry/exit straight. This will give you the best "roll" through the corner.

That is what I explained in the second post, only without the image. So the racing line is the same as the hypermiling line, the braking and stepping on the gas is ofcourse completely different. But the lines are the same, in both situations one is looking for the ideal line through a corner.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris View Post
That is what I explained in the second post, only without the image. So the racing line is the same as the hypermiling line, the braking and stepping on the gas is ofcourse completely different. But the lines are the same, in both situations one is looking for the ideal line through a corner.
On a very basic level yes. But you will find that most corners are not shaped like that.

Don't forget that the most important thing is feel though. A diagram will not get you through a corner 100% correctly. Only feel will do that. You need to build an internal database of what works and what doesn't based on feel.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

grey panther - '02 Mercury Grand Marquis
Team Panther
90 day: 27.15 mpg (US)
Racers accelerate through the later part of the corner and out of it to maintain max speed and momentum when FE is not a concern. For eco I think it is better to coast to the outside and delay accelerating until after the minimized turn scrubbing is complete and the wheels are straighter.

Also, some more minutia. This week I added some tape(actually a sticker strip from my postage stamp pack) to the top center of the steering wheel, ala NASCAR, lol.
It is amazing how much I now notice the amount of rowing and steering input I used. This has helped a bunch in minimizing the amount of input and over steering and correcting that I do. I was turning a bit too much, too soon and then over correcting. The tape really has helped my technique. I look further down the road now, like 200 yards and point the steering wheel there. It takes a moment, but the car finds its way there with less tire resistance and a much smoother ride
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronasauras View Post
Racers accelerate through the later part of the corner and out of it to maintain max speed and momentum when FE is not a concern. For eco I think it is better to coast to the outside and delay accelerating until after the minimized turn scrubbing is complete and the wheels are straighter.
I've been playing with cornering techniques for eco since I last posted in here. Lots of playing with it. I have a pretty good system down now. It's not a "racing" system, but I used racing feel to come up with it. They do have some things in common, but for eco there are some tricks. You statement above is one of those tricks. It's a good "tool" to have in your "toolbox".

I am planning on writing something up, but it will be really time consuming and I have been slammed busy.

We just took delivery of one of these for some testing and product development which has been keeping me busy:

Yeah, I'm showing off a little! I really like the new car though. It makes my previous generation Mustangs feel like they were made with a nail gun. This one is like it was carved out of billet. It may not even be a muscle car anymore. It reminds me a lot of my friends Aston Martin Vantage, but a whole lot faster!

Quote:
Also, some more minutia. This week I added some tape(actually a sticker strip from my postage stamp pack) to the top center of the steering wheel, ala NASCAR, lol.
It is amazing how much I now notice the amount of rowing and steering input I used. This has helped a bunch in minimizing the amount of input and over steering and correcting that I do. I was turning a bit too much, too soon and then over correcting. The tape really has helped my technique. I look further down the road now, like 200 yards and point the steering wheel there. It takes a moment, but the car finds its way there with less tire resistance and a much smoother ride
I love that piece of tape! I have it on all of my performance cars. It's amazingly helpful. And also is good if you do your own alignments.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

grey panther - '02 Mercury Grand Marquis
Team Panther
90 day: 27.15 mpg (US)
Can't wait for your compendium on it.
Nice 5.0

I work in A2 also
Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post

Yaaay...I am doing it right!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I propose a slight alteration. As a hypermiler/ecomodder, I'm not interested in powering out of the corner, just getting through it while maintaining the most momentum. (I'm in neutral, engine off ) Going through the corner, I will be losing speed. Therefore, I can take the later part of the turn tighter than the first. This leads me to adopt a slightly "early apex" approach where I come in straighter and tighten the turn as I come around.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Admitting that you're going to lose some speed in the turn is the first step toward taking a line that loses less speed in the turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread