Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #41 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
It's making me want to cut up my hood and put a small gaping hole in it.
As long as your 'small' hole is 15% bigger than your radiator opening...
-----
Aerohead, that car looks aeroynamically sound, but I don't see any extractors (or holes of any kind). Can you elaborate in layman's what they are doing?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
layman's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
As long as your 'small' hole is 15% bigger than your radiator opening...
-----
Aerohead, that car looks aeroynamically sound, but I don't see any extractors (or holes of any kind). Can you elaborate in layman's what they are doing?
If you look directly above the front wheel,near where the windshield edge would be,you'll barely make out a slot which is oriented with the color dye solution.
I believe that there are corresponding slots below as well.
Morelli divided the cooling air coming out of the engine bay into 4-different streams and experimented with duct size and geometry such that the air escaping out these slots blended perfectly with the surrounding flow field.
An isobaric/velocity contour map was created by pressure tap and velocity pressure measurements (you see this today in color CFD mapping),and working with Bernouli's Theorem,arrived at duct sizes which provide the air volume at a matched velocity,given the pressure environment its flowing into.
This cannot be modeled analytically yet and must be done by trial and error in the tunnel.(very expensive!)
If you get it wrong:
*air can flow into the exits
*jets can be formed which trigger shear-induced vorticity,eddies,turbulence
*Transverse-vectored jets can contaminate the boundary layer,trigger separation,along with the formation of form additional vorticity.
My opinion is that 'nailing' this sort of thing is completely outside the scope of what individuals can pull off without major money.
*air can stall within the duct
jeff88 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
If you look directly above the front wheel,near where the windshield edge would be,you'll barely make out a slot which is oriented with the color dye solution.
I believe that there are corresponding slots below as well.
Morelli divided the cooling air coming out of the engine bay into 4-different streams and experimented with duct size and geometry such that the air escaping out these slots blended perfectly with the surrounding flow field.
An isobaric/velocity contour map was created by pressure tap and velocity pressure measurements (you see this today in color CFD mapping),and working with Bernouli's Theorem,arrived at duct sizes which provide the air volume at a matched velocity,given the pressure environment its flowing into.
This cannot be modeled analytically yet and must be done by trial and error in the tunnel.(very expensive!)
If you get it wrong:
*air can flow into the exits
*jets can be formed which trigger shear-induced vorticity,eddies,turbulence
*Transverse-vectored jets can contaminate the boundary layer,trigger separation,along with the formation of form additional vorticity.
My opinion is that 'nailing' this sort of thing is completely outside the scope of what individuals can pull off without major money.
*air can stall within the duct

Did he "tune" the vehicles aerodynamics to a particular speed or range of speeds? I've been reading about ducting inlet/outlet size and it's impact on matching exhaust of the duct to external air speeds... So far everything I have read about it says that you would only be matching in certain situations. For example, when I posted earlier from the thread about designing duct work, it pertained to the student race cars that don't see high speeds. The consensus with them, was that exit speeds didn't matter because they didn't obtain speeds where a difference is air speeds would be noticed. I'm on my phone right now, I'll try to post something more substantial tomorrow from my computer.... But I was just wondering if you knew off the top of your head? I mean that would be a lot of variables that would need to work perfect to even match a single speed, much less all speeds??

-C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
Did he "tune" the vehicles aerodynamics to a particular speed or range of speeds? I've been reading about ducting inlet/outlet size and it's impact on matching exhaust of the duct to external air speeds... So far everything I have read about it says that you would only be matching in certain situations. For example, when I posted earlier from the thread about designing duct work, it pertained to the student race cars that don't see high speeds. The consensus with them, was that exit speeds didn't matter because they didn't obtain speeds where a difference is air speeds would be noticed. I'm on my phone right now, I'll try to post something more substantial tomorrow from my computer.... But I was just wondering if you knew off the top of your head? I mean that would be a lot of variables that would need to work perfect to even match a single speed, much less all speeds??

-C
Above 20-mph,the coefficients of drag for all the components of the car would be fixed,up to around 250-mph,when compressibility effects started to show up,so all their individual behaviors would be constant.
As long as you tuned in a turbulent boundary layer,everything would track in the same proportions.
chillsworld (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #45 (permalink)
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Above 20-mph,the coefficients of drag for all the components of the car would be fixed,up to around 250-mph,when compressibility effects started to show up,so all their individual behaviors would be constant.
As long as you tuned in a turbulent boundary layer,everything would track in the same proportions.
That makes perfect sense. Their cars are run on tracks where they rarely get over 20mph (from what I gathered)... So their comments would make sense given that context from you
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
The only thig I can see that might complicate things would be intermttent cooling fans that don't track with vehicle velocity.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The only thig I can see that might complicate things would be intermttent cooling fans that don't track with vehicle velocity.
Yeah,we're kinda stuck with them until material technology allows an adiabatic engine with zero cooling.
For continuous highway driving we don't need a fan at all.CAR and DRIVER illustrated that one back in '74.
I drove the Dodge 100-mile round trip without one,running the heater on high for auxiliary cooling on surface streets 'til I got home.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
So, here's a question. I'm actually at the point where I'm ready to cut the hood, however, the upper radiator hose is significantly in the way. Does it matter if this is 1) off center and not symmetrical, or 2) only half (or less) the width of the radiator?

Old 12-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
So... Bring us up to date since 08-16-2014, 06:44 AM.

MMY? [make, model, year]
Old 12-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So... Bring us up to date since 08-16-2014, 06:44 AM.

MMY? [make, model, year]
If you're asking about mine, its a 2003 Honda Civic (see in my sig)

Reply  Post New Thread