Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PeterS,

The only reference I could find regarding the Cd of dustbin fairings suggested it would be around .44. Using this figure, together with the known bhp, frontal area, weight and performance, seems to agree quite closely with the calculator.

Don't be afraid to make you own fairing, it's not rocket science. I found a photo of the one that I made but never used. Basic shape made out of chickenwire, then covered with fibreglass, there are plenty of instructions on the web. It wasn't as lumpy as it looks in the photo, the plan was to smooth it out with body filler.

Get yourself a donor and make a start, it doesn't have to be finished in weekend. In the worse case scenario you can put it back to standard and sell it on. Take a look at Craig Vetter's build, Chapter 47 (I think), there's a photo of David Hyatt with his recumbent Honda passport.

Ironside

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
.44 ? That's quite good for the project so far . Do you think you could improve the rear section further ?

I'm quite sure I can build a fairing , it's just the time involved that is hard to find at the moment. I seem to never get beyond half way down my "to do " list !

As you say a cheap donor bike is the first step.... I'll do that .

Something like this .Honda CT110 Postie Bike Custom Cruiser in Riverton, SA | eBay
Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Careful that you're not paying for 'tricked out' bits that you won't use. Another solution to the fairing could be based on one of these :-

NEW 2012 Universal 450L Aerodynamic Roof Rack Luggage BOX POD Carrier in Dandenong North, VIC | eBay

Full enclosure on the cheap.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Postie bikes here are usually just base models as sold of by Australia Post with about 30,000 km on them. Quite good condition and going.

I'd like to build a fairing based as closely as I can on Craig Vetter's Zero although your would do me very nicely too!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thus far Ironsides little Honda is looking the most practical. His cd is around .44 by his calculation and this without much work yet on the rear section and with open sides.

Frankly that's a very good result and yesterday I was mentally comparing it to Jacob's ultimate Velomobiel and thinking about the rear of Jacob's bodywork and wondering if it was too rounded. A heretical thought of course but as Ironside and Jacob are running superficially similar machines although the Velombiel had fuel injection and is fully enclosed while Ironside's is quite open .

The Vetter body above has a hard rear edge and from my reading this appears to be very important and possibly a fault with the Velomobiel ???

Any comment ?

Ironside . Do you have a finished rear fairing shape in mind ?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kamm tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Thus far Ironsides little Honda is looking the most practical. His cd is around .44 by his calculation and this without much work yet on the rear section and with open sides.

Frankly that's a very good result and yesterday I was mentally comparing it to Jacob's ultimate Velomobiel and thinking about the rear of Jacob's bodywork and wondering if it was too rounded. A heretical thought of course but as Ironside and Jacob are running superficially similar machines although the Velombiel had fuel injection and is fully enclosed while Ironside's is quite open .

The Vetter body above has a hard rear edge and from my reading this appears to be very important and possibly a fault with the Velomobiel ???

Any comment ?

Ironside . Do you have a finished rear fairing shape in mind ?
Hi Peter,

I too have wondered about Allert's rounded tail. It seems he is loosing the benefits of the Kamm effect as I understand it. I notice his and Theo's (they are business partners) velomobiles have rounded back ends too. Theo may be able to expound on the reasoning if any. My attempts to email Allert at the address Theo gave me failed several times and I gave up.

I think Allert's rounded tail is more for appearances although tastes in styling differ. I wonder more about the swoopy creases on the sides. They COULD be for lateral lift spoiling but as I said, I couldn't ask Allert in my email attempts. If Theo is reading this, he could clear this up.

Terry Hershner's Zero with the Vetter nose has a classic Kamm tail. Obviously he (Terry) is of a different opinion than Craig about long tails. I notice too that Terry's transition from the cockpit back opening is rounded compared to Vetter's sharp edges. I think Terry is on the right track in that regard. Reading the recumbents.com site, some of the HPV folks also have rounded edges on their transition from the open cockpits to the tails.

The Kamm effect works as I have a day sailing catamaran (Nacra 5.2 -- 5.2 m long) with a stern that is cut off like a Kamm back. At speed, the hole in the water can be seen to close up about 10' or so past the edge, effectively making the hulls that much longer. For boats, hull speed is a direct function of waterline length. A boat operates in water of course where skin friction is very important. A catamaran goes fast largely from having a lot power driving it. A brick can be pushed fast too, the Space Shuttle was such an example. Had the glide ratio of one too!

-- Teri
Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Recent images show the Zero with a tail, there are probably advantages but I would be unlikely to attach one if just for ease of parking in motorcycle parking zones.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ironside, would you have a photo of yourself on the bike with the fairing fitted ? I'm trying to get a scale ... the Honda 90 is a small bike and I keep comparing it to a larger one in my head .
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If you look in this directory on my website

Index of /graphics/MotoGuzzi

you'll find a number of photos of the Guzzi GP dust bin fairings that were developed in Guzzi's wind tunnel.

The fairing use on this Honda is an aftermarket item designed to appeal to the cafe racers of the period (late 50s early 60s) and could probably be improved a fair amount. NACA ducts instead of those air scoops would be a good start. The fairings on the Guzzi flat singles didn't need scoops like that:

cheers,
Michael
renault_megane_dci (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I appreciate that Michael , it's just that Ironsides' Honda is a very small bike (a lot smaller than a Guzzi) and with the lowered seat and ff position it would be interesting to see his riding position.

Reply  Post New Thread