Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Ohio drivers are some of the worst drivers I have been next to.
I've seen worse, far worse than Ohio.

My all-time favourite is people pulling out right in front of you while they should yield, then drive at an annoyingly slow speed, and make a turn 100 yards down the road.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
I've seen worse, far worse than Ohio.

My all-time favourite is people pulling out right in front of you while they should yield, then drive at an annoyingly slow speed, and make a turn 100 yards down the road.
Some do it deliberately, or at least automatically. Same thing happens in business establishments: after waiting in a long line for service some people will dawdle, wasting time now that it's their turn, knowing full well that everyone behind them is still waiting.

Back in the '70's, with the maximum 55 MPH speed limit, some of these types had bumper stickers that said: I may be slow but I'm AHEAD of YOU. (It amounted to 'rubbing it in'.) Unfortunately, driving at unreasonably slow speeds often doesn't save any fuel; often the vehicle is more fuel inefficient in the lower gears.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I had someone blow right through their stop sign to pull out in front of me, then come to a complete stop. I very nearly rear-ended them.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Oh God I could write a book on this.

There is the classic blow-my-doors-off on the freeway only to brake 30 feet in front of me and zoom over to just barely catch that exit they could have easily gotten had they stayed behind me.

The madness starts before the thing even gets on the road! Here in the frozen north, running to the office window and pointing the autostart to the lot half an hour before quitting time is common. Wouldn't want to have to actually use a window scraper or put on gloves now would we???

You should see how screwed up the "rows" of cars get in parking lots when the lines are covered with snow. It's nothing short of astonishing.

On a similar note, there is a line at intersections that you are supposed to pull up to with your front bumper. No, not halfway through the crosswalk and no, not 30 feet back from the line. Bumper over line. Yeah. I guess that's too much to ask... or, there is a widespread depth perception problem.

Oh yeah- stoplights. In my state, it is legal to take a right on red. Has been for probably 100 years. How many times have I been trapped behind someone that is sitting in the right turn lane at a light, waiting for the green, and no cross traffic? MANY.

See someone ya know? By all means, stop right in the middle of the road and have a lil conference. Oh noooooo- don't mind us, don't pull over or anything; we'll all go around.

Do that in parking lots too. Oh, and don't forget to leave the engine running, even when your vital conference runs 40 minutes.

If you see a small animal on the road, aim for it. That'll learn 'em. Bwwwahahahaha.

First snow of the season, or rain: Nooooo, don't slow down any, don't drive for conditions. What is that anyway? Nature must conform to our desires, and our desire is to have the equivalent of a perfectly dry paved surface at all times, so that we never have to slow down, and we can still approach stop signs at full speed and only start braking 30 feet in front of them.

Rainy roads: well it is necessary after all to commute on smooth level roads in a lifted PU or SUV with aggressive tires (can 90% of the people be wrong???); it's also necessary to pass everyone else on the road in order to "win", and it's also necessary to pull back into the right lane about 7 inches in front of the passee, in order for the passee to get the maximum benefit of all that road slop being stirred up and thrown onto the windshield.

Cell phones are practically worthy of a whole nother rant.

I will say that the Californians are much better than the Midwesterners in just about every respect. They have much higher traffic density so they have to be. I could bicycle all over out there and not feel that my life was in danger the way I do out here in the middle of Bum****, Egypt. (See above re: aiming for things in the road instead of avoiding them)

Last edited by Frank Lee; 09-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: fix my smilie
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Frank - You must be talking about a different place named "California" than the state I live in...

Either that, or you were in a more "civilized" part of California...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Santa Cruz. Dedicated bike lanes. Traffic actually lets the bikes use 'em. None of the nonsense I listed above except for the cell phone baloney.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
On a similar note, there is a line at intersections that you are supposed to pull up to with your front bumper. No, not halfway through the crosswalk and no, not 30 feet back from the line. Bumper over line. Yeah. I guess that's too much to ask... or, there is a widespread depth perception problem.
Hmm, I always thought you were supposed to stop with your bumper just behind the line, or the crosswalk, or where the crosswalk would be if there's sidewalks but no markings. Oh well, it's close enough.

Quote:
I will say that the Californians are much better than the Midwesterners in just about every respect.
Perhaps in terms of driving, but I wouldn't miss SoCal if it were to drift off into the sea. Hollywood is bad for America, and the Los Angelenos I've met live up to the region's reputation.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Oh God I could write a book on this.
I thought it would make for a fun rant topic. The older we get, the longer the "book" becomes.

Quote:
I could bicycle all over out there and not feel that my life was in danger the way I do out here in the middle of Bum****, Egypt. (See above re: aiming for things in the road instead of avoiding them)
Gee, Frank, I didn't know you were Egyptian! <ROTFLMAO> I couldn't tell from your signature photo. Give my regards to King Toot!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

I walk like an Egyptian too!

That reminds me... my legs work for locomotion but I must be in the minority, as it is evidently too much effort to go ring the doorbell upon pulling up to someone's house; better to lay on the horn for a while so that the entire neighborhood knows someone there is being summoned.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Santa Cruz. Dedicated bike lanes. Traffic actually lets the bikes use 'em. None of the nonsense I listed above except for the cell phone baloney.
Ah... I've heard of such "islands of paradise" ... I hear Davis is another one. Those kind of places drive the "Egyptians"* out to places like where I live... meaning that I get to deal with a much higher concentration of them

At a minimum, a cyclist is a target for a beer can (or bottle), if not an entire lifted rock-crawler-style pickup truck.

*No offense meant to people actually from Egypt

Reply  Post New Thread