Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Maybe the DMV doesn't know either? If I was doing it, I'd just keep the car registered as a car. So what if it has a bit of custom bodywork, at what point does it become fundamentally different from the kid who jacks up the suspension on his pickup? You'd be keeping the same engine & drivetrain, no? Keep the part of the body that has the VIN on it too, and logically you should be set.

I don't live in California, but here you just take the car to a smog check place every year, they plug in the OBDII connector & check the VIN, and the rest of a registration renewal can be done on-line. One year I even had my neighbor take the car for the check, and did the rest while I was at work - in Switzerland.
Good points but I specifically want to avoid smog checks. I hate them. Iv'e failed many a smog check in my day (then, again, I've owned 120+ vehicles in the last 29 years). I haven't done one for over 8 years because I drive diesels or pre-1976 vehicles. CA recently changed the law so that 1998 and newer diesels will start testing next year and 2000 and newer MC's seem to be next.

This is what I drive to work. It is a 1974 Honda Civic body on a shortened RT4WD 1989 Honda Wagon chassis. JDM D15B, OBD1, smog exempt. I've put 90K miles on it since I converted it. Used to get 30-32 mpg with the OBD0 d16a6 but now gets only 25-27. Obviously I don't really have it working right yet on OBD1.

You can see this and other wierd conversions at engineconversions.org

But, back to my question. Does anyone know what year will be assigned to a car that is converted to a trike in CA?

Last edited by Carwhisperer; 04-29-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Most states go off the vin number, unless you call it a "home built vehicle" then it would be newer, unless your state has special rules for hobbyist vehicles but normally that is only for vehicles that are over 20 years old and modified to look like something else.
Again, I highly recommend you read your state statutes, they are alot of fun and they will very clearly spell out what is allowed in each class of vehicle.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Most states go off the vin number, unless you call it a "home built vehicle" then it would be newer, unless your state has special rules for hobbyist vehicles but normally that is only for vehicles that are over 20 years old and modified to look like something else.
Again, I highly recommend you read your state statutes, they are alot of fun and they will very clearly spell out what is allowed in each class of vehicle.
I have read my state's laws. There seems to be nothing that specifically addresses what I want to do. But based on my reading of the laws the year will be assigned as the year when the vehicle is registered and the make will be listed as SPCN. But emissions requirements will be based on the year of the engine. So will it be a smog exempt motorcycle with a 1990's based emissions year or will it be a 2009 MC which will no longer be smog exempt when the new law inevitably passes?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What I would do is then find out what I would have to do to register it has a motorcycle, I'm sure your state is different then mine, but in my state as long as I use part of a motorcycle and the vin number of the motorcycle and it fits all the guidelines of a motorcycle, then it's a motorcycle.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
What I would do is then find out what I would have to do to register it has a motorcycle, I'm sure your state is different then mine, but in my state as long as I use part of a motorcycle and the vin number of the motorcycle and it fits all the guidelines of a motorcycle, then it's a motorcycle.
And, I'm assuming, would retain the year of the MC used?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
And, I'm assuming, would retain the year of the MC used?
Yes, because it's a modified motorcycle, or so you are telling them, double check this with your own research in your state statutes and you might check in to the guidelines for hobbyist plates in your state, as it might be a good idea to get that type of plate so cops will have less of an issue with it, as they are normally put on vehicles that are modified, that way you will be fallowing as many rules as possible.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Yes, because it's a modified motorcycle, or so you are telling them, double check this with your own research in your state statutes and you might check in to the guidelines for hobbyist plates in your state, as it might be a good idea to get that type of plate so cops will have less of an issue with it, as they are normally put on vehicles that are modified, that way you will be fallowing as many rules as possible.
Would you happen to be able to point me to the language in Wisconsin's laws that describes this process? Have you built and registered a car based RT?

Brian
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Well that's why I said ask DMV. I HAVE checked into it- several times- BUT sometimes these laws do change, what was true last year might not be true today. And there are state-to-state differences too, for some of the fiddlier details.

I have to go to the statutes and/or DMV to figure it out... that's just how ya do it. It's not like "tipping your hand" will hurt anything; it will need to be inspected in order to get licensed anyway.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Well that's why I said ask DMV. I HAVE checked into it- several times- BUT sometimes these laws do change, what was true last year might not be true today. And there are state-to-state differences too, for some of the fiddlier details.

I have to go to the statutes and/or DMV to figure it out... that's just how ya do it. It's not like "tipping your hand" will hurt anything; it will need to be inspected in order to get licensed anyway.
OK then can you "figure it out" for me? These are the pertinent laws from the CA DMV website, edited for some brevity:

580. A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

Specially Constructed Vehicles- Emission Control

What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?

Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned model year, they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the model-year for future inspection purposes.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year.

After the first 500 vehicles have been registered in any calendar year, all others will be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination.

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).

Motorcycle

400. (a) A “motorcycle” is ( )1 a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground( )2.
(b) A motor vehicle that has four wheels in contact with the ground, two of which are a functional part of a sidecar, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).

These are the most pertinent statutes as near as I can tell. My vehicle would meet the definition of a motorcycle but would also be a Specially Constructed Vehicle, I think. If the DMV would keep the model year and change the designation to "motorcycle" I would be cool.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It seems that my RT would be assigned two model years. One, for emissions purposes which would match the year of the engine, which would be 199x, the other would be 2009 or whenever I get it done. A 199x is not smog exempt but a 199x motorcycle is. So where does that leave me? I got a summary of the regulations I posted in my previous post here, but it doesn't really seem to say anything I don't already know:
SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Reply  Post New Thread