Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #361 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
That could work though I prefer to see more. just make sure whatever GLUE you use is ethanol compatible. I really have yet to find anything it can tolerate. do NOT use Epoxies. it eats the resins.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #362 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
For storage and separation see if you can get two large gas tanks for a flex fuel vehicle.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG

Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #363 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
true but then you can't SEE it :-) hence the desire to use glass so we can SEE it phase separate and then drain off the parts we don't want

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #364 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nerys- I happened on this thread while surfing, and found parts of it quite interesting. E10 came to Maine last January, and caused a lot of people trouble, especially the two-stroke and marine communities. I had lots of trouble with my '49 Power Wagon carb- I had to buy a $120 rebuild kit for the Ball & Ball just to get the main & stepup jets. After drilling these out 1 thousandth inch at a time for road testing, I got the mileage back up to 8 mpg from 4- it had been 10 mpg pre E10- the gas suddenly went to E5 everywhere, major distributors and off brand stations! Now I was pig rich, and had to go back to my original jetting. The only consolation was finding out that President Bush's cigarette boat Fidelity was stopped dead in the water by E10 corrosion and rubber fuel line destruction. You need to be careful what you're signing in the Rose Garden- what goes around can come around!

I've been monitoring my gas ethanol level, and find that it's still dead on 5%- somebody isn't splash blending anymore! I got the PW mileage up to 13 with radial tires and a Fish M-3 carburetor, but now I hear EPA has approved a partial waiver for E15 for road use. The PW used 70 octane, so washing my gas won't cause me any problems, and the Fish can be adjusted fairly easily for air/fuel ratios, since it has no needles or jets. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with other older car owners.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #365 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
I guess its also their way of FORCING people to buy new cars. I mean as is destroys the older cars or renders it too expensive to update them.

alas they fail to comprehend that this CAN NOT force people to buy new cars since that requires you be able to AFFORD a new car.

all that will happen is people's lives will be ruined as they are either forced to put more and more of their money into gasoline on a car getting worse and worse fuel economy or they will be forced to do without a car and the impacts that will have on their lives and their ability to get work.

fun all around ehh.

now sure it won't get THAT bad most likely but you see my point. all they see is the lobbying dollars for the corn industry and being able to "proclaim" themselves "green" even though its anything but and screw us folks.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #366 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Nothing wrong with dropping backwards fuel compatibility on new cars. Resale on newer used cars is low enough. And if you like the classics, especially if you want to retain inefficient carburated engines, be prepared to accept the consequences. At the very least it gets the dirtier vehicles off the road.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #367 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
so its not about cleaner or independence for you UFO its about forcing people to buy new cars? what right do you have to do that? what right do you have to dictate people replace a perfectly good functional car for a new one that gets NO BETTER FUEL ECONOMY than the old one for all intents and purposes? You going to buy the car for him?

my metro burns less fuel than a prius. EVEN ON E10. your telling me its dirtier? what planet did you get that data from? seriously?

"Resale on newer used cars is low enough"

THATS THE POINT UFO. people can not AFFORD new used cars hence why resale is LOW.

DUH.

I would still like some data on what percentage of the country drives PRE 1999 vehicles (that is the oldest car the EPA tested in their ethanol legacy car program)

"Nothing wrong with dropping backwards fuel compatibility on new cars."

YES their is. who gave them that right? I sure as hell know I did not and I sure as hell know no on currently suffering the results of that decision gave them that permission.

so tomorrow we start making babies that only breath argon and all you oxygen breathers update or die. oops sorry you can't afford to update. too bad for you.

see how stupid that sounds?

you don't just wholesale switch fuels and say screw you to a significant portion of the population as their costs skyrocket and there is NOTHING they can do about it because the skyrocketing fuel costs are STILL cheaper than buying a new car that WILL NOT get any better fuel economy than their current car did pre Ethanol.

so your saying they should be forced to update JUST to get back to exactly where they were.

How nice of you.

Oh I guess we should just all buy $40,000 prius' even though they are factually DIRTIER CARS than non hybrids. (and YES its $40,000 after you add fiance charges and significant increases in insurance charges that are mandatory with a new car)

instead of mucking with the fuel and PRETENDING to be doing something good while actually making it worse and just shoveling our tax dollars to Monsanto how about actually doing some governing and putting the foot down to car makers.?

How about that? how about we FORCE them to make good simple proper electric cars instead of this "crap" they are pushing out now that is overpriced and short lived and NO GOOD for our bank accounts of the environment?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #368 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Hey Nerys, I have to breathe air too. It belongs to all of us. Please don't pee in our pool.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #369 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
so then why is your solution to RUIN the fuel economy of our vehicles MAKING THE AIR YOU HAVE TO BREATH WORSE UFO. ???

You have two VERY conflicting perspectives here that you really need to resolve within yourself.

I drive a Geo metro because it burns the LEAST AMOUNT OF FUEL OF ANY CURRENTLY AVAILABLE GASOLINE ENGINES VEHICLE.

Its even cleaner than a PRIUS OR A LEAF when construction is taken into account (hey you said AIR you breath so you have to count THAT pollution too)

SO any more bright ideas?

Since we are talking about peeing in pools how about you stop wasting my water. I prefer to drink it instead of shoving MILLIONS of gallons of it into ETHANOL production that is not the tinest bit cleaner than gasoline.

so you STILL get stinky air and now we have less WATER too.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #370 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Beast - '82 Honda V45 Sabre Vetter Fairing
90 day: 39.38 mpg (US)

The Wife's bike - '82 Honda CM450E Red
90 day: 57.22 mpg (US)

Yellow Submarine - '04 Dodge Neon SXT
90 day: 28.71 mpg (US)
Nerys: What do you do with the water you drain off? I hope you are not just dumping it down the drain or into a septic field. (It is considered hazardous waste.)

Closed Thread  Post New Thread