Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Restore Engine Restorer

Anybody on here ever use Restore engine restore and see good results? Until here recently I've never really been a high mileage guy besides the $700 civic which I promptly sold when they alternator kept going out. Now that the Prius is up to 165k and is a 2010 consuming 2qts of oil every 10k miles I think it might be interesting to see if it does work.
()
(https://www.amazon.com/Restore-00009.../dp/B00HJVEWVG)

I'm know I can always just add oil forever but I'm interested to see the effects on the next oil change and would like to keep the pcv and egr cleaner to keep the idle problems away. Planning to keep this Prius until it blows up and it seems like the engine blow by is probably the worst part of the car.
Now I wanna preface this by saying I don't believe in any additives besides this one...possibly. Hit me up with your experiences below!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I’ve used it before and it actually brought compression up some on the engine in question. Not by a massive amount but it helped nonetheless

My last Ecotec project...
Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A quart of oil every 5K miles is nothing to worry about, a lot of new engines burn more than that. I say try it if you want to though, what's the worst that could happen? A lot of people including myself have used it with good results and I have never heard of any problems from using it. I would suggest adding it to relatively clean oil though, so if you are about due for an oil change I would wait until then to add it.

I don't know much about these Prius engines, but bad valve stem seals often cause oil consumption issues and from my experience go bad more than piston rings. The rubber gets hard and cracks with age and no longer seals effectively, allowing oil to get past. The good news is that on a lot of engines replacing the valve stem seals isn't a big deal and can easily be a DIY job depending on the tools you have and your mechanical skills.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
True. Technically if this was an american car this oil consumption amount would be pretty normal. I'll have to take some time out of the day and compression test the Prius.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Great minds have similar YouTube profiles... I posted this same thing a few days ago:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post626518

My take would be concerns about gaskets. What effect will it have on the gaskets that the oil come in contact with. Stop Leak seemed to alter the texture and quality of all the gaskets. They're fine, but they're gummier in some cases. Looks weird.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-24-2020 at 10:25 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
I don't know much about these Prius engines, but bad valve stem seals often cause oil consumption issues and from my experience go bad more than piston rings. The rubber gets hard and cracks with age and no longer seals effectively, allowing oil to get past. The good news is that on a lot of engines replacing the valve stem seals isn't a big deal and can easily be a DIY job depending on the tools you have and your mechanical skills.
It's a known piston ring issue on the 3rd gen Prius. Toyota issued a TSB a few years ago; the fix is replacement of the pistons and rings to the updated MY 2015 version. But it only applies once consumption reaches 1 quart/1,300 miles for vehicles in-warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
It's a known piston ring issue on the 3rd gen Prius. Toyota issued a TSB a few years ago; the fix is replacement of the pistons and rings to the updated MY 2015 version. But it only applies once consumption reaches 1 quart/1,300 miles for vehicles in-warranty.
I didn't realize that, good to know.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
I didn't realize that, good to know.
I wish I'd known it before I bought a Prius! But mine isn't consuming any oil yet at 90,000 miles. If it starts I'll probably throw in a can of this stuff just to see if it does anything.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I wish I'd known it before I bought a Prius! But mine isn't consuming any oil yet at 90,000 miles. If it starts I'll probably throw in a can of this stuff just to see if it does anything.
If you want to prevent piston ring problems, use a high quality synthetic oil and change it regularly. I wouldn't go over 5K miles, especially since these engines have a known problem with the rings. Oil is cheap compared to rebuilding the engine.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if there would be any use in throwing in a can pre-emptively? In other words, is it the kind of issue where catching it earlier can prevent the problem from becoming significant? Could pre-emptive use somehow protect the rings from wear?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread