Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Did it used to get better mileage and power? If so, check compression and timing chain. If not, how short are your short trips?
Just received the truck as a gift from my daughter, have NO idea of prior history or maintenance. I do know it was a delivery truck for her business. 15 miles or less round trip is my use.

Last edited by JatMat; 09-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Sounds like it's time to get serious. Two areas - the driver (known here as the nut holding the steering wheel) and the vehicle.

VEHICLE
Check for something dragging. You should be able to push it by hand on a level smooth surface. If not, check everything that rotates, especially brakes. You have three separate brake systems - front wheels, rear wheels, and parking brake (connected to the rear wheels). Tire pressure is a biggie.

Check the engine from one end to the other. Timing chain, exhaust restriction, loose things that should be tight.

Transmission - manual or automatic? If automatic, is the torque converter working correctly and is it shifting correctly?

DRIVER
Are you timing traffic lights? Minimizing idling? Practicing what we call DWB - Driving Without Brakes? Studied the Master List of 65+ Mods in Ecomodding Central? Driving techniques can improve mileage by as much as 100%.

Good luck and keep trying.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Sounds like it's time to get serious. Two areas - the driver (known here as the nut holding the steering wheel) and the vehicle.

VEHICLE
Check for something dragging. You should be able to push it by hand on a level smooth surface. If not, check everything that rotates, especially brakes. You have three separate brake systems - front wheels, rear wheels, and parking brake (connected to the rear wheels). Checking today Tire pressure is a biggie. And going up today.

Check the engine from one end to the other. Timing chain, exhaust restriction, loose things that should be tight.

Transmission - manual or automatic? If automatic, is the torque converter working correctly and is it shifting correctly? Will have that checked today.

DRIVER
Are you timing traffic lights? Yes Minimizing idling? Never use a drive through. Practicing what we call DWB - Driving Without Brakes? Yes, since age 17. I was taught that way. Studied the Master List of 65+ Mods in Ecomodding Central? Yes Driving techniques can improve mileage by as much as 100%.

Good luck and keep trying.
Jim
Thank You says
The nut behind the wheel
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
One other thing to try is to make sure you are putting gasoline in it, not 10% ethanol, most people I talk to only see a 15% or so drop in their mileage with ethanol in the gasoline but I've talked to some people who see a much greater drop.

When you changed the spark plugs, how did they look? where they all colored the same on the tip? if you are driving short trips like it sounds like and never hauling a load you might try the next hotter plug.
It might also be time for new transmission fluid, after 15 years and fluids start to cook down and get thicker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
One other thing to try is to make sure you are putting gasoline in it, not 10% ethanol, most people I talk to only see a 15% or so drop in their mileage with ethanol in the gasoline but I've talked to some people who see a much greater drop. No choices around here, all have 10% corn added.

When you changed the spark plugs, how did they look? where they all colored the same on the tip? Yes, looked all the same, if you are driving short trips like it sounds like and never hauling a load you might try the next hotter plug. Will check for hotter plug, even if these are new.
It might also be time for new transmission fluid, after 15 years and fluids start to cook down and get thicker.Have the 9 quarts and new filter ready to change, just not the courage yet.

Thanks for your feedback, any suggestions on overcoming the corn additive with other cost effective additives?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One more question: Based on your experience, routes, and driving habits, what mileage would you expect for this vehicle?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Oh for god's sake, the ethanol thing again?!?

If I had that truck I would get more than 12-14 out of it feeding it 100% E85- hell, I get more than that feeding a V8 F150 E85, SO THAT AIN'T IT.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Oh for god's sake, the ethanol thing again?!?

If I had that truck I would get more than 12-14 out of it feeding it 100% E85- hell, I get more than that feeding a V8 F150 E85, SO THAT AIN'T IT.
That's because you're pushing it with one of your other four cars.

As to fuel: start a logbook. Buy the same fuel consistently down to the same station, same time of day, same fuel pump. Fill to first click-off. Start a fuel log on this site for your truck.

This is a post where I set up a record book for my diesel truck. Book, pen, solar calculator in glovebox.

Also, look at the cost of ownerhip & operation. Two different things, just as with maintenance and repairs. AAA has a .pdf online to help understand the calculations, as well as EDMUNDS ("True Cost of . . . ").
Taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs, inspections, etc. Then fuel.

At the age of that truck depreciation has bottomed out. The dollar value of the truck will rise slightly. This is offset by age-related repairs and that the chain stores/dealers start to drop stuff from the system with 15-year old vehicles.

I'd be making lists of what to replace and when, doing the homework before problems arise. Then consult list and seller.

Last edited by slowmover; 09-05-2011 at 05:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-06-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frank is right, it ain't ethanol. When they went to 10% ethanol around here, I did not see a mileage change. I'm sure that I would have seen a 3% change. My truck is, and has been, running 10% ethanol.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Frank is right, it ain't ethanol. When they went to 10% ethanol around here, I did not see a mileage change. I'm sure that I would have seen a 3% change. My truck is, and has been, running 10% ethanol.
I suggested it because I see a drop in my mileage if I use E10 as do my parents, the two people I work for also avoid it in their work trucks because they have said they have seen mileage drops as much at 20%, one of them has a very stable route and uses his truck very lightly, so I think it's worth checking to see if you can find premium that doesn't have ethanol and see if it helps, if it doesn't help you are out and extra $.10 a gallon? I know you said you were on a tight budget, but think about it anyway.

Reply  Post New Thread