Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Do people know the difference between E10 and E85??? One can expect a 20% fe drop on strong blends or 100% E85, but NOWHERE NEAR that with E10, emphasis on nowhere.

Thought experiment: OK lets go nuts and say if he put ethanol free gas in, it improves 20%. Well that means his lil 4 banger mini truck is getting 14-17, which still sucks so bad we know something else is wrong. It should be pushing 30 on the highway and well over 20 in town.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
One more question: Based on your experience, routes, and driving habits, what mileage would you expect for this vehicle?
Don't know about this vehicle, just got it three tanks ago. But, comparing apples to oranges. My 2003 Mercedes C-240 (4-matic) gets 20-22 in town and 29 hwy if that helps with my driving habits. I have 129,000 miles on it with normal tire pressure (32) and no mods what so ever. I just would have thought I would get more out of this little 4 cylinder Nissan truck.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Yeah, I would also expect a small truck to get similar mileage to the Mercedes. Here's a few things that will kill mileage 30 or 40%:

1) Ignition timing retarded about 10 degrees. I don't know how this could happen with a computer controlled engine.

2) Fuel mixture always on full power enrichment. I don't know how this could happen with a computer controlled engine - maybe a WOT throttle switch failure?

3) A really bad burned exhaust valve. A compression test will diagnose this.

4) A seriously dragging brake. You would feel the heat radiating just standing near it.

5) (Maybe) Camshaft out of time - worn chain (does your truck have a timing chain or a timing belt?) or belt/chain jumped a tooth or two.

6) (Maybe) Worn lobe or two on the camshaft. This happened to me years ago. I know it will reduce power, I don't know if it kills gas mileage.

7) Something I haven't thought of.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatMat View Post
Just received the truck as a gift from my daughter, have NO idea of prior history or maintenance. I do know it was a delivery truck for her business. 15 miles or less round trip is my use.
Can't you get her to give something more fuel efficient ?

Seriously, if you don't absolutely need a truck for what you do, sell it on or trade it in and get something that uses half or 1/3rd the fuel.

Being broke and driving a gas guzzler will only make things worse.
I'd spend the money on fixing a more worthwhile ride.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Can't you get her to give something more fuel efficient ? Beggars can't be choosers.

Seriously, if you don't absolutely need a truck for what you do, sell it on or trade it in and get something that uses half or 1/3rd the fuel. I do enjoy working on it, and the fuel problem is as much a challenge as it is a problem. I will beat it somehow.

Being broke and driving a gas guzzler will only make things worse.
I'd spend the money on fixing a more worthwhile ride. The Mercedes is a fine ride, thinking about bumping up the tire pressure to help with that mileage. Good forum here and lots of good suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Drive the Mercedes.

The 96 Nissan is a D21 Hardbody with their 2.4 liter engine. I read all the posts here and I think it is an automatic, since it was not confirmed to be a manual.

Typical problems are mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor, both of which can be an issue but not bad enough to light off the CEL. I do think it is OBD2 so you can get it scanned for free at Advance Auto Parts.

Twin cam port injected engine, same as the Altima of the same era which does about 32 highway, so your mileage is pitiful. If it was running right I would expect mid 20s highway and about 20-22 city seriously depending on your trip length stops and traffic congestion.

Just had a thought, check your temp gauge, those year Nissan's are notorious for bad thermostats. They go bad wide open so the engine never warms up and your temp gauge will probably barely get off the cold mark.

THAT SINGLE PROBLEM MAY BE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD GET FIXED IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should warm up very quickly, in less than 1.5 miles if it has a factory thermostat that is working properly. If I were a betting man I would put my money on a bad thermostat as your problem right now and it's easy to replace and fairly inexpensive.

I WOULD USE OEM NISSAN THERMOSTAT! I have had much experience with aftermarket and almost universally they will not work as fast and as well as OEM.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Get a job driving a school bus for some cash and insurance.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Do people know the difference between E10 and E85???
I once was at a talk by a state legislator. During the talk, several times the legislator confused the fact that E10 was 10% ethanol (they thought it was 90% ethanol). And this legislator was the chair of the state alternative energy committee! In Indiana (one of the largest ethanol producing states)!

And we wonder why our politicians can't come up with a coherent energy policy!

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
JatMat (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Drive the Mercedes. I do and love it, but I am going to get even that mileage up.

The 96 Nissan is a D21 Hardbody with their 2.4 liter engine. I read all the posts here and I think it is an automatic. It is ,Since it was not confirmed to be a manual.

Typical problems are mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor, both of which can be an issue but not bad enough to light off the CEL. I do think it is OBD2 so you can get it scanned for free at Advance Auto Parts. I have an OBD2 scanner that reports NO codes.

Twin cam port injected engine, same as the Altima of the same era which does about 32 highway, so your mileage is pitiful. If it was running right I would expect mid 20s highway and about 20-22 city seriously depending on your trip length stops and traffic congestion.

Just had a thought, check your temp gauge, those year Nissan's are notorious for bad thermostats. They go bad wide open so the engine never warms up and your temp gauge will probably barely get off the cold mark. It never gets a quarter of the way up on the H/C gauge.

THAT SINGLE PROBLEM MAY BE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD GET FIXED IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go, Nissan thermostat is on its way.

It should warm up very quickly, in less than 1.5 miles if it has a factory thermostat that is working properly. If I were a betting man I would put my money on a bad thermostat as your problem right now and it's easy to replace and fairly inexpensive.

I WOULD USE OEM NISSAN THERMOSTAT! I have had much experience with aftermarket and almost universally they will not work as fast and as well as OEM.

regards
Mech
Thank You so very much, I had not even thought of that, but had noticed that the gauge rarely comes up to mid point.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Truck is hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Get a job driving a school bus for some cash and insurance. I wish I could.

regards
Mech
Right now that is not an option, I am the only care giver for my wife of 47 years that is recovering from breast cancer, radiation and chemo. She is on a lot of meds and I can not risk leaving her alone for long periods, I was once in the yard for 4 hours mowing and weeding, came in and found her on the floor, unable to get up. I worked all my life since age 14 to age 64, lost my business when housing industry crashed, lost nearly 500K of my personal money and all savings. I am use to work, it kills me to be idle, that is why I enjoy working on the truck, it is in garage near den so that I can check on her often.

Reply  Post New Thread