Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting comments from those who criticize oldmech for not turning the other cheek more effectively.

Irony?

a few weeks ago I was at a gas station with the suburban pulling a trailer with a car on it. I could only use 2 pumps becuase of how the station was laid out, and both cars were facing me. So, I gave a bit of space for the car to exit, and waited.
eventually the car pulled out, and a 20 year old dip**** in a mustang cut in behind the car.

So I nosed head on up to the mustang. Owner mouthed off, then I stepped out of the car (I'm 6'2 and 280). So the dip**** went into the store to pay, and wander around the store.
I struck up a convo with his girlfriend and friend in the backseat. She had piercings so I asked her how the fishing has been. I was friendly, and she mouthed off.
When all done, it was pretty funny.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
15 seconds from the exit I would have just put on my left turn signal and let off the gas.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I think the speed limit is 65 on that stretch, right? You were doing 72. That guy has anger management problems. Maybe chemical dependencies to go with it. But you make a mistake in pivoting to return his plumage. You're not the old one [edit: "only one"] armed in Virginia. I had a friend get a gun pulled on her on I-64 once. Be careful out there.

[EDIT 2: I don't mean to judge... I have also lost my cool with aggressive people on the road... gave one the bird last year too. I'm not proud of that.]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-01-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I recently had the pleasure of being a passenger in an SUV... one where the "driver" seemed to be about 70% engaged with his "smart" phone/30% engaged with driving. Every vehicle that came into view on the horizon was simply a reason to speed up a little more so it could be passed. And the "music" on the radio... that country "music". Oy. I thought my head was going to explode. Uncharacteristically, I said nothing, for fear that once those floodgates opened, the fury would sweep us all away. And to think this is the "norm" around here. That is why I have so little respect for people as a group.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I move over in the lane to the left edge, which usually gets the idiot to just go around me, but not this clown, he pulls up beside me and gives me the finger. I return the favor, so his next move is to run me off the road. The crazy thing is as he is pulling into my lane with his left rear tire next to my right front,
HE HAS HIS TURN SIGNAL ON!
It's still unwise for a motorcycle operator to return the hostilities being projected by an overly aggressive driver, regardless.

I routinely drive anywhere from 6 to 15 miles above the speed limit, following the flow of traffic as much as I can. When traffic is light, I generally settle for 7 miles above the speed limit. Even at those speeds, I still on a daily basis manage to get somebody who apparently loves my rear end. What to do? I generally ignore them.

It used to be that I did not like having somebody riding my butt. However, I got stationed in Italy for a good number of years. Over there, I quickly learned that riding one's butt isn't aggressiveness, as such. It's just how they drive. Also - straddling lane lines, backing up on a highway to turn off at a missed exit, being passed by motorcycles because they didn't even pretend to follow the lane markers, using the breakdown lane as a driving lane, having an Italian-style conversation on the cell phone (lots and lots of gesturing)... All sorts of things happened there every day, and Americans driving over there would either quickly get used to it, or get into a serious car wreck trying to respond to what they perceived as aggressive behavior. (I did mention that I was stationed there? That implies a continuing presence of some 10000+ American servicemembers and their families.)

Point is, responding in kind to aggressive behavior seldom solves anything on the road. Better to just ignore it or get out of the way. I know it's sometimes hard to ignore such behavior from the occasional jackanape. However, it surely beats getting plastered all over the road, especially if you're driving a motorcycle.

Last edited by t vago; 05-01-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
These stories make me grateful for the sleepy corner of the province I live in. I haven't seen any driving worthy of a "me too" post for quite a while.

(Not counting a near-right-hook on my bicycle last fall.)

The city where I live was noted for being "safest" Ontario place to drive in 2011 by the Allstate insurance company. It's not uncommon for people to pull over and stop at the side of the road out of respect when a funeral procession is passing the other direction, or remain stopped at a fresh green light to let a procession get through an intersection unbroken.

(Should note that the average age here is about 75 though )

Still can't beat Nova Scotians for courtesy (IMO).

But I avoid the interprovincial freeways generally, rarely drive at "rush hour" (such as it is), and that probably removes 90% of the red-mist "gotta get there NOW" potential ragers from my experience, automatically.

Not everyone can be so lucky, obviously.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Wow. Every time I've seen a loser on your highways, a closer look shows that they've got US plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Hey, I drive somewhat fast, but within reasonable limits (PSL comes to mind). That said, I don't cut people off, or drive aggressively, and generally change my "attitude" for the locale to save grace for everyone else on the road.

When you drive like a Yorker in Pennsylvania, Vanians think you're an idiot. If you drive like a 'vanian in York, Yorkers think you're an idiot. Spend enough time in either, and you tend to learn the nuances of driving style, so the opposite thinks you /less/ of an idiot. Courtesy is universal, though. Even when it hurts (inside) to do it, just let 'em go.a

I try not to go to New York, though, for personal reasons related to their laws and that I have to disarm myself to cross the state line, as well as some mix of personal experiences that were less than worthy of my continued venture there.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...the only "safe" driver is a TANK driver.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
t vago -

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post

Quote:
I move over in the lane to the left edge, which usually gets the idiot to just go around me, but not this clown, he pulls up beside me and gives me the finger. I return the favor, so his next move is to run me off the road. The crazy thing is as he is pulling into my lane with his left rear tire next to my right front,
HE HAS HIS TURN SIGNAL ON!
It's still unwise for a motorcycle operator to return the hostilities being projected by an overly aggressive driver, regardless.

I don't think Old Mech was riding his motorcycle. As you quoted, Old Mech is inferring he has two tires up front, or is his reverse trike already built?!?!?

I think the only "mistake" is reciprocating the bird, but I would guess we're all capable of that.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
t vago (05-01-2012)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread