Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion210 View Post
I stop at all the stops. What savings in money or gas is pretty minute as in small.
Actually, the savings would be pretty massive if the US ditched its silly 4-way stops !

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
In my opinion some speed is better tha none. As you have to slightly rev the engine when fully stopped and disengage the clutch, that causes more fuel burn and wear on the clutch. So even 1 mph has quite a bit of an advantage.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Actually, the savings would be pretty massive if the US ditched its silly 4-way stops !
Yes, roundabouts might work better. Except on major roads.

Failure to yield ROW across a four-way is a sure predictor for high fatality rate accidents. T-Bone Junction.

Bad habits don’t work out. Especially ugly when it’s easy to show selfishness is the justification.

In trucking I’ve found it a sure thing to go after drivers yammering on the CB about the “fast lane for trucks” on multi-lane expressways. The inner lane next to that from which they are barred is the reference.

Many or most drivers are paid per mile. So I bring up that as they tailgate cars or other trucks (under 100’), they’re risking the lives of those others for pennies. Wives with their children.

And that they’d best hope it’s never a relative of mine gets killed by their actions. For pennies. “Who do you run for, hand?”, is my next question. (Hand = hired hand; standard lingo. And anonymity is somewhat pre-requisite). “I’m old, I’m tired of working. Watching TV ain’t the thing. Family is what’s left. And very few of them exist. So are you certain, ARE YOU POSITIVE, that you and your family would live out that week?

The CB goes silent on that one.

The “game” with stop signs isn’t a single stop. It’s two. The first as far back as the law permits. The second at the line denoting the intersection (usually back from the curb). Call it a skill test. Discipline.

I run a manual transmission in a four ton pickup. The clutch is original at 220,000-miles. No signs of slippage. My city MPG is higher than the freeway average of most owners. No stunt driving, but driving for longest term reliability and longevity. Both trump fuel economy. FE is only a gauge to the larger picture.

The problem is internal to the driver: A snowflake and his feelings. A soyboy with the heart of a slave. Forever on his masters business.

One can glide smoothly around town. Or can’t. In which case, get to work. Quit treating the road as if it were the problem.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-05-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Yes, roundabouts might work better. Except on major roads.
Roundabouts stop working when 1 oncoming direction has heavy traffic - as that either blocks the other directions getting on, or is blocked by them.

Quote:
Failure to yield ROW across a four-way is a sure predictor for high fatality rate accidents. T-Bone Junction.
4 ways stops are illegal in the EU
We have junctions with either priority from the right, or with a sign-indicated priority for one direction.

And waaay lower fatality rates than the US ...

Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I had a 25-year-old relative who was killed on a rural road one night and left behind a husband and two small children to live on without her. She would be in her 60s today and have seen her two boys grow up, marry, and give her grandchildren.

The guy who killed her ran a stop sign and pole-axed her car. He had just left a bar about a mile away. I'm sure he's long been let out of the penitentiary by now.

Since there had been serious, similar accidents at that location before, the county's solution was to put a 4-way-stop there.

Predictably, there were complaints about the four signs, but no more accidents. The reason: a 4-way-stop legally forces every driver to stop and look. Had there been a 4-way-stop at that intersection when my young relative drove that road that night, hopefully she would have made her required stop and would have seen that drunk barreling toward her at high speeds and watched as he harmlessly zoomed right through his stop sign.

So, I've come to realize that there is an argument in favor of such stops at some problematic locations.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
So, I've come to realize that there is an argument in favor of such stops at some problematic locations.
I don't intend to shift any of the blame onto the woman, but this is precisely why defensive driving means paying attention to other drivers and not assuming right of way laws will be obeyed. My motorcycle safety class taught me to always be aware of the vehicles around me, and to have plans in place for people who either don't see you, or fail to yield right of way. It's not foolproof, but it helps tremendously. The sad fact is there is no such thing as justice on earth. Justice would mean a restoration of the lost life, which is not possible.

I'm constantly annoyed by traffic control that is unnecessary. Left turns should always have the yield option when oncoming traffic has a green, but often they restrict left turns to only go on protected green. It's so inefficient.

Perhaps that alone will allow autonomous vehicles to improve the efficiency of the flow of traffic.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 11-13-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
That is very sad to hear. I am sad for your loss.

Irresponsible people are a real pain, it should not be illegal to get rid of them in my opinion. Over here we have an abundance of them. Real retards, no regard for other people, they drive like zombies filling your safety gap. And the are supposedly muslims (the one thing that is never forgiven is you consume the rights of another, yet to steal a few seconds from you they will thrash their clutch engine and brakes), it would be safer to ride a motorbike among a heard of bison.
The Following User Says Thank You to teoman For This Useful Post:
slowmover (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Roundabouts stop working when 1 oncoming direction has heavy traffic - as that either blocks the other directions getting on, or is blocked by them.

4 ways stops are illegal in the EU
We have junctions with either priority from the right, or with a sign-indicated priority for one direction.

And waaay lower fatality rates than the US ...
You need to look at fatality rates with reason. We will export all of our tens of millions of minorities to you, and then require all of you to drive as far as we do on average. (Nothing is available on foot or bicycle. Public transportation serves a fraction of the population).

Or we will simply statistically collectivize all Europa driving stats (including European Russia PLUS all NATO signatories) and then draw conclusions.

Areas in this country populated almost exclusively by NW Europeans also have dimishingly small fatality rates.

So we will also put your poorest examples of THAT class in the cars they cannot now afford. Worn-down vehicles, ready for the knackers yard. You’ll love that learning curve. Can’t get to work or buy groceries without a car.

1). What is the constituent background?

2). What is the rate of ownership?

3). Why are they different?

It’s the same for gun crimes. Other categories.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
The guy who killed her ran a stop sign and pole-axed her car.

the county's solution was to put a 4-way-stop there.
One can just as easily run any of those 4-way stops as the one that lead to the accident though.

Last edited by euromodder; 11-16-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread