Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Lol, well it is more expensive anyway I don't see all those SMD's being particularly DIY though.

edit: check that, the STM32F4Discovery is like $14!, I've only looked briefly at the ST processors, and would be eager to push it to its limits with asm blocks, 6ns per cycle?!? You might need that for CDI/GDI

FYI, someone made a diesel ECU (audi TDI) from an arduino
Arduino powered ECU for diesel engines - Arduino Forum

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I don't see all those SMD's being particularly DIY though.
Why?
Through-hole is done, it's over. Nice components with good characteristics are SMD only now.

If you buy a $5 syringe of soldering paste SMD soldering is pretty doable. 1206 and SOIC is trivial, 0805 and MSOP is doable. 0603 is not an option for DIY.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
check that, the STM32F4Discovery is like $14!, I've only looked briefly at the ST processors, and would be eager to push it to its limits with asm blocks, 6ns per cycle?!? You might need that for CDI/GDI
One step at a time. Step by step.

Do you know C? Would you like to help with some coding? Eventually time would come to do CDI/GDI, I believe this platform has the potential to support it.

I've poked the Finn if he would be interested to try rusEfi on his test engine.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm just saying through hole is a lot easier in a diy kit, SMD is like soldering grains of sand at times. It is far from "dead". I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would appreciate ease of assembly and not really care about the ease of modifying the code.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusefi View Post
Do you know C?
I do, but I don't really understand the scope of this project. How are you going to deal with all the vehicle specifics to make it easier to get running?

settings/maps/sensors/hookups database by year/make/model or something? In some ways making it easier to code is the least of the issues. If you don't know the operating parameters of your car then you have to do like tdi guy and reverse engineer it from scratch. You don't even want to look at all the ecu connections on my prius
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wiring diagrams are sensor info is available for most of the vehicles. There are at least two options how to build a map for a vehicle, that's unless this info is already available:

You can start by making an educated guess about the base values (10 degrees BTDC is a common start for timing, and fuel amount directly correlates to engine output/displacement, and injector capacities are also known usually), or you can put the original ECU on a bench, stimulate it with fake signals and record the reactions - that's the way I did it.

If you think you might be interested in playing with all this you should check the http://rusefi.com/ wiki and rusefi.com • Index page forum.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't see an O2 sensor in the pinout, not sure this is terribly fuel efficiency related (already have kill switches and alternator cut-outs), especially with the current focus on forced induction. I don't really understand the goals of the kickstarter project here as it relates to fuel efficiency.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Do you think there is any overlap between a DIY ECU for forced induction and a DIY ECU for fuel efficiency?

Do you think that existing OEM and aftermarket ECUs are providing all the features beneficial for eco modding?

You do not see O2 in the pinout because well, it's not a product on a shelf but a kickstarter project
Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Efficiency folks and performance meat-heads don't usually overlap much in personality is my point, and since O2 sensor wasn't even listed in the priorities while speed density is, my gut tells me this is targeting the performance crowd. I can't help them.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh, I did not realize that this is all about personalities

Sounds to me like you are more interested in revealing the sins of the performance crowd then in a DIY ECU then. I do not know why O2 is not on the pinout you are looking at, but we both know that a O2 (Wideband O2 usually) is an essential tool for engine tuning, and it does not matter which goals you have. You would find a configurable WO2 decoder in ego.c

Once again, please excuse me for daring to post about this project here. Since I am a noob here and you are a regular, I submit myself to your judgement.

Reply  Post New Thread