Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
(SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule

(SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/safe-final-rule

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today released the final Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule setting corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) and CO2 emissions standards for model years 2021-2026 passenger cars and light trucks.

>

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Meh, rather have gray market laws reversed.

I don’t see this as doing much
Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Meh, rather have gray market laws reversed.
Harmonizing safety regulations with Europe and Japan would have the same effect, while enabling American automakers to develop competitive models which would have a broader appeal on export markets.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
JSH (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Harmonizing safety regulations with Europe and Japan would have the same effect, while enabling American automakers to develop competitive models which would have a broader appeal on export markets.
Oh the impossible dream. When I was making instrument panels for Mercedes SUVs we had 6 versions of each model.

RHD - USA
RHD - EU
RHD - Rest of World
LHD - UK
LHD - Japan
LHD - Rest of World

There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
... There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.
Do you mean that the Japanese are going to start RHD?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
When I was making instrument panels for Mercedes SUVs we had 6 versions of each model.

RHD - USA
RHD - EU
RHD - Rest of World
LHD - UK
LHD - Japan
LHD - Rest of World
Seems like you're confusing the location of the cockpit with the sense of traffic on each region. Left-hand drive for right-hand traffic, right-hand drive for left-hand traffic is the usual.

Quote:
There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.
Makes me wonder how easier it would make for someone living in Europe to get a JDM grey-import.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Yup, massive typo in that post. Switch RHD and LHD in that list. More to the point, we had 3 different versions of LHD and 3 different versions of RHD due to different crash standards around the world which increases design, tooling, and manufacturing costs.

No, Japan isn't switching from RHD to LHD. The are adopting EU emission and crash standards so Japan will get the same spec car as the UK. So for my former colleges that means only 5 instrument panels instead of 6.

In the future is should help someone in the UK get a grey-import Japanese car. Don't know why anyone else in Europe would want a RHD car.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
... No, Japan isn't switching from RHD to LHD. The are adopting EU emission and crash standards so Japan will get the same spec car as the UK. So for my former colleges that means only 5 instrument panels instead of 6.
The trans-pacific partnership that the United States pulled out of in 2017 would have brought US and Japanese standards closer together, from what I understood about the policy. I wonder if that would have made it easier for us in the United States to get grey market Japanese cars. I wonder if the 2019 EU-Japan trade deal took something away from the United States that it had won in the TPP. The bilateral United States Japan trade deal negotiated last year and still incomplete, apparently does nothing much with the auto industry.

Quote:
In the future is should help someone in the UK get a grey-import Japanese car. Don't know why anyone else in Europe would want a RHD car.
I wonder why Brexit wouldn't affect Britain's participation in an EU trade deal. Perhaps they did some special side negotiation.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The trans-pacific partnership that the United States pulled out of in 2017 would have brought US and Japanese standards closer together, from what I understood about the policy. I wonder if that would have made it easier for us in the United States to get grey market Japanese cars. I wonder if the 2019 EU-Japan trade deal took something away from the United States that it had won in the TPP. The bilateral United States Japan trade deal negotiated last year and still incomplete, apparently does nothing much with the auto industry.
TPP would not have effected emission and crash standards it was more focused on tariffs and internal barriers to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I wonder why Brexit wouldn't affect Britain's participation in an EU trade deal. Perhaps they did some special side negotiation.
As of today there is no real Brexit. Wikipedia sums it up well:

As of February 2020, the United Kingdom's post-Brexit relationship with the remaining European Union members remains to be negotiated. Following the UK's secession from the EU on 31 January 2020, the UK continues to conform to EU regulations and to participate in the EU Customs Union during a transition period that the UK Government says must end by 31 December 2020. The EU side has said that this timetable in unrealistic.

The EU and the UK just kicked the can down the road again.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Once you give liberty away to "smarter people" you never get it back.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread