Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #341 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Well, yes and no -- the first cameras were great, but one of them started cutting out randomly, so I replaced it. The new camera shows almost all white on the screen when it is completely dark -- so that one is too bright at night. The other one, though is fine, and you get much less glare than with optical mirrors, from headlights and such.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #342 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Well, yes and no -- the first cameras were great, but one of them started cutting out randomly, so I replaced it. The new camera shows almost all white on the screen when it is completely dark -- so that one is too bright at night. The other one, though is fine, and you get much less glare than with optical mirrors, from headlights and such.
So the combination of the "right" camera and screen works just fine at night? I am sure you already posted this before but mind posting again which camera & screen you'd recommend now after "trial & error"?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #343 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Yes, they are fine at night if the camera doesn't "open up" too much. In fact, the lack of blinding glare from headlights behind you is a big advantage. They have infrared LED's that light things within 15' or so; without having any visible light.

I actually have the same camera (more or less); the better and the worse ones are ostensibly the same. The one that is too white at night (because it's 'F-stop' circuit lets in too much light?) also has some green lines superimposed on the image (to try and assist with depth perception); but I don't think that is the cause for the problem.

All the cameras are challenged at the other end of the light strength: when in direct sunshine, they get overwhelmed -- the 'F-stop' stepping needs to be able to work in direct sunshine. Also, the screens I have get darker as they heat up -- they produce a fair amount of heat from the backlight and so in bright sunshine, they are not easy to use.

The video mirrors are best in situations when optical mirrors are weakest: at dusk and in the rain.

So, the bottom line is, I still use a small optical mirror on the driver's side, for when the car isn't running (like when I have parked in a parallel space, and need to see traffic to open the door), or when the screen is hard to see because it is in direct sunshine and/or the camera is washing out the image.

I've been running these video mirrors for over 2 years now, and they work, but I certainly see the need for various improvements. Another one that I have not mentioned in this post is the need to optically correct for the barrel distortion that these very wide angle cameras have.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #344 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
So, the bottom line is, I still use a small optical mirror on the driver's side, for when the car isn't running (like when I have parked in a parallel space, and need to see traffic to open the door), or when the screen is hard to see because it is in direct sunshine and/or the camera is washing out the image.

I've been running these video mirrors for over 2 years now, and they work, but I certainly see the need for various improvements. Another one that I have not mentioned in this post is the need to optically correct for the barrel distortion that these very wide angle cameras have.
...so as a conclusion one could even question the benefits vs the disadvantages?

Has anyone ever done any experimenting with prisms?
Prism (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somehow my head wants to think there should be some such solution that should work fairly well, one could even get a fairly large reflection area with minimal external area (outside the car), no? anyone?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #345 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Something LIKE this
Cheshire Innovation | Other Innovations - Safer Motoring
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #346 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
On balance, they help with my fuel mileage, and they work well enough to keep me driving safely. I will probably put some on my CarBEN EV, though I will also try to do some sort of inside optical mirrors -- the tapered shape could help these be a little more useful.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #347 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
On balance, they help with my fuel mileage, and they work well enough to keep me driving safely. I will probably put some on my CarBEN EV, though I will also try to do some sort of inside optical mirrors -- the tapered shape could help these be a little more useful.
Do you have numbers as to how much you save without stock mirrors? What's CarBen?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #348 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
I don't have hard numbers, but my memory is that my high mileages went from 48-49 to 53+ and my average went from ~46-47 to over 50MPG.

CarBEN EV is my open source design for a super efficient 5 seat electric car:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ter-11969.html

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #349 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
I don't have hard numbers, but my memory is that my high mileages went from 48-49 to 53+ and my average went from ~46-47 to over 50MPG.

CarBEN EV is my open source design for a super efficient 5 seat electric car:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ter-11969.html
Have you played with the idea of putting the cameras in some non conventional location? Like this for instance:
Side view cameras now available on BMW 7 Series – ultraGADGET

Looks like a great project!
Personally about electrical cars I have a big hangup for now on DIY solutions for now. Cause on engine swaps (like what I am about to do) it's still a car engine into another car. Yet on electrical setups there's plenty of parts that are non-automotive being used
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #350 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Interesting on the camera topic

Panorama view - multiple cameras - Page 2 - MP3Car.com

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
grille block