Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You can also change final gearing by changing gears

https://scooterswapshop.com/collecti...-gear-set-zuma

Or you can buy variators and clutches with different ramps for different ratios.

GY6 150 Rear Torque Plates

It isn't as easy as changing a sprocket on a motorcycle and adjusting the chain but you can change overall gearing on a scooter with a CVT.
The regearing is rather engineering intensive and likely would not be available for many models, so don’t count on it being available. I just looked for a Honda metropolitan, and i found a modified variator, but they didn’t say how much it can change the gearing. That is good to know that some models do have aftermarket gears available though.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (04-07-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
I just looked for a Honda metropolitan, and i found a modified variator, but they didn’t say how much it can change the gearing.
If it could increase the gear spread without compromising the lower ratio, would be good. Or if it increased the gear spread both ways, even better. Trading off low-end acceleration is something I wouldn't feel comfortable with.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
The regearing is rather engineering intensive and likely would not be available for many models, so don’t count on it being available. I just looked for a Honda metropolitan, and i found a modified variator, but they didn’t say how much it can change the gearing. That is good to know that some models do have aftermarket gears available though.
I don't think the modified /aftermarket variators change the gearing range much if
at all. Their main intent it seems is to improve acceleration... (low end acceleration
mostly I believe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
If it could increase the gear spread without compromising the lower ratio, would be good. Or if it increased the gear spread both ways, even better. Trading off low-end acceleration is something I wouldn't feel comfortable with.
Regearing would have an effect on final drive ratio... Presumably for fuel efficiency
purposes with a taller ratio than stock as the aim. Engineering intensive possibly,
but I do think a competent shop could cut new gears... might be expensive though.

Ideally IMO, (another engineering intensive idea) having a way to manually control
the variator would be very useful. I came across this:

https://www.pattakon.com/pattakonPatBox.htm

It looks like it would be effective but it also looks kind of clunky IMO. But I do have a
couple ideas with basically the same end result that I think might work. But it would
require some modifications that many probably wouldn't want to risk doing to their
scooter CVT. One of the ideas seems better than the other and they both involve using
rollers instead of another belt. This summer I may try one of those ideas on an older
basket case Honda Reflex scooter I have. If it grenades, then no great loss. If it works
then I would likely implement it on my streamlined scooter project.
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by stiletto2; 04-06-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Old 04-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

See craigvetter.com for his experience in gearing change. There is a clearance limit on going to a larger diameter wheel. Reducing air drag is a big first step.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
ASV
weirdo

130/70-13 will fit well in a standard gy6 150 and 250 long case and it will bring the speed you start to climb rpm up about 7 mph
10 if you have a new belt. It also usually fixes the over proud speedometer problem with the Chinese scooter if you use it in front. I think it's the tire size the scoots are engineered for but the 130/60/13 makes a scooter a little quicker.
I have also found sliders are good for about 5mph over rollers

so if you add all that together it's fairly significant as they multiply against each other

you can get a real boost in launch capabilities if you cut the clutch weights significantly enough to have the clutch grab at a higher rpm
than the variator stabilize at but before it begins to shift

Last edited by ASV; 04-10-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Old 04-25-2020, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiletto2 View Post
Ideally IMO, (another engineering intensive idea) having a way to manually control
the variator would be very useful.
Might not be so much of a rocket-science approach, since some CVTs meant for cars already emulate gears for a sequential manual operation.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[QUOTE=I have the Australian version of this motorcycle NBC110 Honda Super Cub. It's a hassle to deal with the foot controls which is why I am considering a scooter.[/QUOTE]

If you can't extend the existing gear change , you could try a hand operated 'suicide shift'. Rear brake can be made hand operated by using a pitbike clutch lever and a scooter rear brake cable of the correct length.

https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartson...ch=RRBRK%20026

Last edited by Ironside; 04-29-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Old 04-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
If you can't extend the existing gear change , you could try a hand operated 'suicide shift'. Rear brake can be made hand operated by using a pitbike clutch lever and a scooter rear brake cable of the correct length.
What about the CombiBrake system now fitted to some small-displacement Honda motorcycles? It's now fitted to a similar model in Brazil. With some adjusts, single-lever operation could be improved.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
What about the CombiBrake system now fitted to some small-displacement Honda motorcycles? It's now fitted to a similar model in Brazil. With some adjusts, single-lever operation could be improved.
Needs hydraulics and disk brakes, I don't think either exist on OP's bike.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Might not be so much of a rocket-science approach, since some CVTs meant for cars already emulate gears for a sequential manual operation.

Well yes, the Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter has something like that already. But it uses a different type CVT which is more car like with a metal belt. The more common "rubber band" kind of drive belt found on scooters below 650cc in size are the kind I am talking about.

Without having something presently ready made to give some amount of manual control over a CVT of the reinforced rubber type, one would need to have it engineered/fabricated. Something that the average home tinkerer may not have the skill set or tools to do. That is the kind of help that I most likely will need for my idea.

I know what I want and how it would work, I mostly will need help building the thing with my info on distances, angles, depth/length of movement, etc. I may need assist on best materials, fabrication methods and parts that will stand up to expected friction experience and wear, crank case temperatures etc. So yeah, engineering. (that could end up being a little more expensive than I would really like)

Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Reply  Post New Thread