Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
10° is a relatively small angle - 12 or 15 are still OK.

To get a good photo to start from, take one from a considerable distance, using a telephoto lens.

Next target : under 6L/100 km (over 39mpg) or a more ambitious under 5L/100km (over 47mpg) ?
For such a small car, both should be possible.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Your fuel log is headed in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczo View Post
Sooo... is around 10 deg deviation from the roofline an acceptable amount?
A 10°, or even 12-14°, angle from horizontal is good, but adding that to your roof's slope may be too much. Also, what you need is a smoother transition between roofline and Kammback.
Make a template of the transition with the correct angles and tape it to a level ruler:

BTW, have you considered an MPGuino or other instrumentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Next target : under 6L/100 km (over 39mpg) or a more ambitious under 5L/100km (over 47mpg) ?
Remember that the small car has a huge (for it) engine under its hood - Seicentos came with a 900 or 1100 cm3 engine, Maczo squeezed a 1200cm3 engine with almost twice the power of the original

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

scrapcento - '99 fiat seicento
90 day: 30.15 mpg (US)

fokus - '08 Ford Focus
90 day: 31.15 mpg (US)

tdm - '95 Yamaha TDM 850
90 day: 27.72 mpg (US)

vespa - '04 Piaggio Vespa ET4
90 day: 57.6 mpg (US)

PCX - '10 Honda PCX
90 day: 78.33 mpg (US)

avensis - '13 Toyota Avensis
90 day: 40.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
To get a good photo to start from, take one from a considerable distance, using a telephoto lens.

As for theory of photography - I knew that. I only have my phone with a camera, so I tried to move back somewhat and keep the car in the center of view. Just as with so many things, I took a half-a**ed approach and the result was what it was...

I'd love to see 6L/100 km but I'm not too optimistic as to whether this is likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
from horizontal
Also, what you need is a smoother transition between roofline and Kammback.
Make a template of the transition with the correct angles and tape it to a level ruler

BTW, have you considered an MPGuino or other instrumentation?

Remember that the small car has a huge (for it) engine under its hood - Seicentos came with a 900 or 1100 cm3 engine, Maczo squeezed a 1200cm3 engine with almost twice the power of the original
Thanks for the tips. I knew I was missing something and the word "horizontal" put things in the right perspective

The transition is of course sloppy, I think I'll have to re-do the mod with something more durable anyway. But that will come after the tuft testing, I want to have at least some data (even if it's not really positive) from the mod first.

The engine itself is not really physically huge, actually the block of the 1.2 is hard to distinguish from 1.1! The 1.2 does run different for sure though; a mere head swap (1.2 head onto a 1.1) gives instant umpteen bhp (well, 10 maybe, up from 55). I think my 1.2 has some FE potential, but I'd need to re-adjust the timing back to stock or even a deg. or so in the other direction, so it has more punch in the low RPMs. For now it's just not meant to be a FE machine.

As for instrumentation - AFAIK the car does not have an OBDII interface, just some "3-pin FIAT" one, which will require an adapter, which will not only require $$$ for the adapter itself but also for installation (wouldn't want to hurt myself now, would I?). Then there is the instrumentation itself - either SG/MPGuino/UG or the Torque app - again all costing $$$. With me driving as little as I do, I think it doesn't make much economical sense. I know there are a few guys here that would do it anyway just for the fun / out of curiosity, but my priorities are different.

Anyway, I'm pretty busy at my new job (first week coming to an end; it's tough!) and there are serious chances that the engine will need solid repairs (think: AndrzejM's Berta), so I might not be reporting back in a while.

Thanks for the interest and tips again!

The Scrapcento thread
Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

fokus - '08 Ford Focus

tdm - '95 Yamaha TDM 850

PCX - '10 Honda PCX

Great news
The engine is not dead. The low oil pressure warning that made me panic was caused by a faulty sensor, not the engine dying \o/

Good news
Since the engine is OK, I'm heading for Rally Wyszkow 2012 this weekend

Edit: I just found this on the interwebs:
I sure hope I can beat those guys if they show up this year

Also, I finally got the tachometer installed. I knew I could get away with low RPMs with my oversized engine and short gearing, but now I learned that most of my driving is in the 1500-1900 RPM range. And that I can maintain a steady 45 km/h in 5th gear at ~1300RPM

I had a chance to do a street sprint vs a friend's 1.6 (115hp?) Ford Focus (station wagon) and it was a close call (I had a slightly better start, then he was slowly gaining on me). Pretty much what I'd expected

Did an antenna delete. Partly to optimize aero (yeah, I can see those instant gains coming), partly because it looked funny/lame/stupid.

Bad news
No tuft testing of the Kamm. It got even softer and started to collapse on itself, so I took it off and threw it away Lesson learned: do the waterproofing perfectly or don't bother at all.

Trivia
I can find this thread by googling for my car. Hey, my first ever google #1 result \o/
But seriously, is there an option for finding the threads that I started?

The Scrapcento thread

Last edited by maczo; 09-19-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Edit: I just found this on the interwebs:

That delivery Škoda definately has worse aero than your Scrapcento, and its weight is greater and centered higher.
You could ask the Rally's organizers to add points for whoever uses the least amount of fuel

Quote:
But seriously, is there an option for finding the threads that I started?
  1. Click on Advanced under the search box. At the top right is "Search by User Name". Enter the user name and change the box under it from "Find Posts by User" to "Find Threads Started by User".
    Or,
  2. Go to your public profile, click on "Statistics", and then "Find all threads started by maczo"

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
RRC
EcoModding Lurker

Skodillac - '97 Skoda Felicia Hatch. MPI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Toyota YS - '20 - -
Team Toyota
90 day: 59.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Since the engine is OK, I'm heading for Rally Wyszkow 2012 this weekend

Good luck then
Btw. I know the driver from this white Felly

_______

*Most of my driving is city driving
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you can work on selecting and actually hitting apexes, and on not "getting behind" the car, you should have a chance. I'm pretty sure I saw at least a second and a half that the driver in that video "left on the course".

-soD
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

fokus - '08 Ford Focus

tdm - '95 Yamaha TDM 850

PCX - '10 Honda PCX

Piwoslaw, thanks for the tips.

We succesfully completed Rally Wyszków. Yay.
Top 10 in our class. Yay.
There were 10 cars total in our class. Boo.

OK, so I managed to not be the last, finished 7th, but mostly because of others getting penalties. I really need to work on my pace. Sometimes I thought I was really taking the best lines, but it turns out that it was possible to take them at greater speeds Ultimately I was barely faster than a stock-looking 1.1 Punto from a lower class (it's heavier AND less powerful) and only because they fudged the very last "Super-Stage" by several seconds.

The white Felicia didn't show up, but I managed to beat another one that was in my class. Close enough.

There were at least two quite powerful cars, an Impreza and an early 90's (late 80's?) Supra. The Impreza was too big for the tight final super-stage and so I can boast that I was faster . The Supra was borrowed by a driver who had only driven FWDs and so he wasn't very quick. But surely he had lots of fun:

I must say the fun of rallying is really great and the people are ever so friendly. And I missed out on some marshal party action

The most important part - fuel consumption - is a bit of a mistery to me now. I was distracted when leaving the pump and I don't know how much I've refilled. I'm waiting for the gas payment to go through the banking system, then I can work out the amount because I remember the price per liter.

The Scrapcento thread
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Man, rally is fun. Looks like you had a good time though.

If I may, it appears you're losing some time in the slalom- once you find the car's rhythm it should go smoother. And don't be afraid to clip a cone! Also, make sure you're apexing late and coming into the turn wide so you don't have to make those mid-corner adjustments (1:10). Just my humble thoughts

Excited to see the Kammback come together. In constructing, it is helpful to clamp a known 15 degree angle onto a level sawhorse. That way you don't have to rely on photos to determine your angles.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Good luck with Scapcento! I'm sure you can go as low as 4.5l/100km avg (52.27 mpg US) without big effort. And if you don't want to invest big bucks maybe you should go for vacuum gauge? That would be the cheapest FE gauge, and it's good enough to give you proper feedback. MPGUino is not expensive too I can help you to build one if you wish. Right now I'm building new one for Berta and that will be probably first MPGuino in diesel car (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway it's good to know that ecomodding becomes more popular in Poland.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Reply  Post New Thread