Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Seat and fuel tank mod for my NBC110

I'm doing a seat and fuel tank mod for my NBC110. I'm currently getting 39-42km per litre (91.7337 to 98.7901mpg).

Ergonomics
I tried out the seating position yesterday and I should be able to change gears and apply the brake albeit awkwardly. The handle bars are a slight stretch I would like to move them back an inch or two for comfort.

I have previously considered moving the foot controls forward and above the front wheel but this did not work due to clearance issues and linkages benind being ineffectual. If I were to move the controls forward I would double the length of the gear shift lever and leave the brake control where it is while moving the foot pegs in front of the brake lever. This should give some improved comfort/leg room if desired but not required.

Fuel Tanks
I was considering making a composite fuel tank but I could not find filler necks that were within budget and there probably is not a cost saving to be had.

I'm waiting on two fuel tanks I purchased from ebay they should arrive next week.

If I use the stock fuel pump I will have to cut 70mm hole and weld two bolts to mount the stock fuel pump. I have considered mounting the stock fuel pump externally but not sure if that will work. It would be very convenient and cost effective as the fuel tanks already have a hole in the bottom.

I have considered external aftermarket fuel pump but do not know enough about fuel pumps to faff around with that.

Seat Mounting
I am looking for rubber washers for mounting the seat I am unsure how much vibration insulation I will require for a comfortable ride. I know there are a couple bumps on the highway that really shoot up my spine.

Once I have this better seating position I can think about a fairing.

Gokart seat on NBC110. Should lower torso 23-25cm for smaller frontal area.

Two 2L fuel tanks.

Seat mounting points.

Last edited by Spaghetti Man; 04-30-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Man View Post
I tried out the seating position yesterday and I should be able to change gears and apply the brake albeit awkwardly. The handle bars are a slight stretch I would like to move them back an inch or two for comfort.

I have previously considered moving the foot controls forward and above the front wheel but this did not work due to clearance issues and linkages benind being ineffectual. If I were to move the controls forward I would double the length of the gear shift lever and leave the brake control where it is while moving the foot pegs in front of the brake lever. This should give some improved comfort/leg room if desired but not required.
Would a hand-shifter be out of question? Eventually you could also set the rear brake to also be operated by the same lever which already controls the front brake.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Would a hand-shifter be out of question? Eventually you could also set the rear brake to also be operated by the same lever which already controls the front brake.
That would work but they don't call it a suicide shifter for nothing. Electronic Gear shifter on the handlebar would be a better option but would blow the budget.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
That would work but they don't call it a suicide shifter for nothing. Gear shifter on the handlebar would be out of the budget.
AFAIK the suicide refers to a clutch pedal without a spring-actuated lock to keep it engaged, demanding the rider to leave the foot on the clutch pedal the entire time while standing still at a stop.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
AFAIK the suicide refers to a clutch pedal without a spring-actuated lock to keep it engaged, demanding the rider to leave the foot on the clutch pedal the entire time while standing still at a stop.
That's interesting I did not know that.

I am reminded of the time I realised holding groceries in one hand while riding a bicycle one handed was a painful mistake.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
I'm don't think I'm picturing what Cripple rooster is suggesting correctly, so I might be suggesting the same thing...

Can you set the shifter up with something like this, but put the clutch lever on the end so it only requires one hand still?

Not my bike.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Old 05-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
I'm don't think I'm picturing what Cripple rooster is correctly, so I might be suggesting the same thing...

Can you set the shifter up with something like this, but put the clutch lever on the end so it only requires one hand still?

Not my bike.
The gear shift lever doubles as a clutch and it has a centrifugal clutch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaghetti Man For This Useful Post:
M_a_t_t (05-02-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you read my build thread https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...0-a-27945.html, answers there for many of you questions.

Easy option would be to relocate your fuel tank to the rack behind the seat.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Have you read my build thread https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...0-a-27945.html, answers there for many of you questions.

Easy option would be to relocate your fuel tank to the rack behind the seat.
Yes I remember reading it a few years ago and reread it today. I"m very interested in these sorts of aerodynamic modification projects.

Originally I considered a fuel tank on the rear rack but decided against it to save luggage space but I did not think of using a big box as you did.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
The gear shift lever doubles as a clutch and it has a centrifugal clutch.
It doesn't prevent a manual shifter to be fitted. I have already seen it on some tricycles converted from the Honda Biz available in Brazil.

Reply  Post New Thread