Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
i dont know why you have the pic of the suzuki samurai, i had one of those, fun buggers

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The government has banned the import of mini trucks from japan because certain states allowed them on the road when the federal government said they were illegal (they aren't crash tested here. aka fed wasn't paid 15 million in booty) At the moment the fed seizes them when found at the port.

Full story here
EPA Regulations - Japanese Mini Truck Forum

It will be a fight to be sure but probably one thats already lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
As far as I can tell... they're not suited to the average American body type.
Unless you are
1. 300lbs+
2. 7'+ tall
3. have a crappy model of vehicle

I strongly disagree, I own 3 micro vehicles a 1970 Subaru 360 which has more than enough leg room and head room (I am 6' 2") and I own a Miles ZX40 which is a Kei Class Daihatsu Move variation very similar to the mini trucks shown which has more then enough head and leg room.

The subaru 360 is somewhat difficult to get into and out of but that is because the thing is basically sitting on the ground, the side to side seating isn't optimal but length / leg room & head room is just fine.

My other micro car is a 1981 Comutacar which is american made but it requires you to sit with your legs straight down and is the most cramped but still has enough room, you just sit differently.

In terms of mileage it really depends on the vehicle and how its tuned, the Daihtsu Move kei van with the CVT tranny gets 50mph and that isn't imperial, too bad its not imported, my Subaru 360 with a bit of a gas leak, messed up exhaust and carb gets 45mpg in town at around 0-15 degree temperatures

Those trucks if running properly with a 5 speed manual that is NOT disabled like most are should get between 28-35mpg, some as high as 40mpg depending on model and displacement.

Most imported here are locked into certain gears, are not running optimally, lack a 5sp overdrive and have the wrong type of tires on them to get decent economy, also lifting the trucks blows any fuel economy.

Last edited by rmay635703; 03-04-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
In British Columbia you're allowed to import anything for street use, as long as it's at least 15 years old. There are quite a few of these micro-trucks running around Vancouver, along with masses of Nissan Skylines, Nissan Figaros (your girlfriend wants one) and a few 660cc sports cars with scissor doors (can't remember what they're called...)
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The government has banned the import of mini trucks from japan because certain states allowed them on the road when the federal government said they were illegal (they aren't crash tested here. aka fed wasn't paid 15 million in booty) At the moment the fed seizes them when found at the port.
See, I've always felt this is flat out retarded. As long as you can legally buy and drive a motorcycle which has NO inherent safety features, or a convertible which has severely compromised safety compared to a hard top vehicle - you should be equally able to buy any of the little TukTuk or Kei tin cans. Want a safer car? Well, get one then. Willing to trade some collision safety for economy? Well, get a tin can. It's no less safe than a COMPLETELY LEGAL motorcycle or convertible

Completely nonsensical legislation.

Quote:

Unless you are
1. 300lbs+
2. 7'+ tall
3. have a crappy model of vehicle

I strongly disagree, I own 3 micro vehicles a 1970 Subaru 360 which has more than enough leg room and head room (I am 6' 2") and I own a Miles ZX40 which is a Kei Class Daihatsu Move variation very similar to the mini trucks shown which has more then enough head and leg room.

That's all nifty, but I'm not complaining about the size of cars. I am within 8 pounds of willoughby athlete weight and am comfortable in nearly any vehicle. However, an alarmingly large ( ) number of Americans are over 300 lbs, many of us are nearly 7' tall... and I've seen people nag about not feeling roomy enough in midsize sedans like late model Accords, speaking of which have you noticed how fat cars are getting these days? You could carry three 1982 CVCC's in the trunk of a 2009 Civic. We Americans seem to love huge cars for some bizarre reason, and the overwhelming majority of us wouldn't buy a Kei car because we want big, fast, and now. I don't mean this as a discussion of what's right or wrong... just that's how it is. People want what they want and nag till they get it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
See, I've always felt this is flat out retarded. As long as you can legally buy and drive a motorcycle which has NO inherent safety features, or a convertible which has severely compromised safety compared to a hard top vehicle - you should be equally able to buy any of the little TukTuk or Kei tin cans. Want a safer car? Well, get one then. Willing to trade some collision safety for economy? Well, get a tin can. It's no less safe than a COMPLETELY LEGAL motorcycle or convertible

Completely nonsensical legislation.
I agree that the legislation is non-sense, just like my fathers Miles ZX40 cannot go legally above 25mph, same BS. These are not as UNSAFE as many would have you believe, it depends on the year and type but the 2100lb Daihtsu kei van has a crumple zone and airbags available (US doesn't get the airbag due to the 25mph speed limitation) In Japan they do crash them and do need to meet a Japanese standard, sadly our government won't recognize a standard from another country, many of these Kei class vehicles also have a CAT and will pass emissions which is another bogus reason they say Kei cars aren't allowed.

Quote:
That's all nifty, but I'm not complaining about the size of cars. I am within 8 pounds of willoughby athlete weight and am comfortable in nearly any vehicle. However, an alarmingly large ( ) number of Americans are over 300 lbs, many of us are nearly 7' tall... and I've seen people nag about not feeling roomy enough in midsize sedans like late model Accords, speaking of which have you noticed how fat cars are getting these days? You could carry three 1982 CVCC's in the trunk of a 2009 Civic. We Americans seem to love huge cars for some bizarre reason, and the overwhelming majority of us wouldn't buy a Kei car because we want big, fast, and now. I don't mean this as a discussion of what's right or wrong... just that's how it is. People want what they want and nag till they get it.
I don't agree with the above, many people like big, fast, now but many people prefer, cheap, economical, practical by necessity. Safe is in there but only because its used as a clitche advertisement gimmick which doesn't necessarily mean much, (safe gimmick is tied into army tank size cars). I have found that people of different types go for a different gimmick, whatever that gimmick is, look at how well the smallish Smart car sells? Many Americans will buy what they are told to buy or what they believe will be "in" or them. However there is also a large number of Americans that buy solely on need and pricing points, I don't think the majority is one, instead we are well divided into dramaticaly different groups and there is in fact no majority on the buying side.

I know for certain whenever I drive my little Subaru 360 I am always asked where can I get one, same goes for my Comutacar, there seems to be a very vocal group who want small and unusual cars that aren't apparently getting what they want?

My fathers ZX40 always gets the comment, I would drive that and in fact a 7' tall person could easily be seated in it (at least in the front seats The propaganda for my Subaru 360 show a huge sumo wrestler sitting in the car getting out.

I think if given a real chance with proper advertising and backing many americans would be as likely to buy a kei car just as much as they now buy the Prius or the Smart. Also remember a small car does not need to be cramped, vehicles can be designed to fit anyone.

Give it a gimmick and people will buy it, I have never wanted a Mustang or a truck. I did want my old diesel Suburban but it filled a practical need, many of my friends are the same. Cars weren't made the way I wanted so I had to get ones that weren't normal there are many people who would buy vehicles similar to what I have if they were available without extreme effort or cost.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sierra - '96 GMC Sierra
90 day: 20.89 mpg (US)

White Lightning - '10 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
90 day: 27.18 mpg (US)
A guy in town has one. Neat little grocery getter. Would be cool for an ev conversion.

Last edited by my first gmc; 03-07-2009 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: cuz im silly
Reply  Post New Thread