Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Or underground.

Do we want to go down that rabbit hole?

Mom has not necessarily ruled out a sixteen-foot round foundation, but she says that domes are ugly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Back to compressed earth blocks? What's the soil like in that yard?

Quote:
...she says that domes are ugly.
Has she seen the dome my parents built? Probably not.

Has she seen the Armour-Stiner house?

Show her this: https://www.reddit.com/r/tartarianarchitecture

Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 AM   #73 (permalink)
Not Doug

This indicates that soil in Arizona should be good: Compressed Earth Blocks - Joseli LLC

It says to perform the jar test, which is described here: EarthTek Inc

If soil expands, it is unsuitable.

That would be easy enough to test.

From what I have been able to tell, an underground shed is an over-built above-ground shed--below ground.

I naively thought that being below ground would provide insulation and thermal mass, but no, I am supposed to provide that myself, plus endless waterproofing.

This Old House made a video about how to make a shed. They did not say how long it would last. They provided a materials list, but they did not seem to enumerate everything visible in the video:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

Things always went fine on DIY video tutorials.

But in reality I bet most people face things like in the video bellow :

Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Who NASA wants to fool???

First he said that can't take concrete/cement to the Moon. But for the 3D print using regolith (Lunar dust) he talks about polymers from plastic, took also from astronaut's trash (plastic used to put the food)
Ok, how much plastic they think astronaust's food carry on a ship??? Even if Homer Simpson was a astronaut they couldn't have enogh plastic to use the polymer for create enough for the mixing using lunar dust regolith.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
This Old House made a video about how to make a shed. They did not say how long it would last.
Six months. Use ETFE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_P...d_of_Light.JPG

What did your mother think about the dome? Did you do the jar test?

edit:

Two layers heated-sealed into hexagonal pillows. Good for 30 years and it cleans itself like a Lotus blossom.

https://www.etfe-film.com/etfe-membrane

2nd edit:
I'm watching Youtube videos about a 12x14ft pyramidal roof gazebo from Costco. It's $1800.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-27-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Old 04-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #77 (permalink)
Not Doug

No, Friday was busy. I spent over two hours waiting for a meeting that was perpetually five minutes from starting, drove an hour each way to see three clients, waited fifteen minutes for a $10.50 burrito that did not come before I needed to leave, and I wanted to be on-time more than I wanted the burrito, and then I wrote my notes, showered, packed my car, and drove two hours to meet my nephew, who was camping.

I will do the jar test when I return.

I know there is proper greenhouse plastic, but I will look into that.

Have a great weekend!
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #78 (permalink)
Not Doug

Tangent warning!

I check for full-time jobs almost every day. I look first in the Show Low area, but then around Phoenix. I found an opening in Maricopa, about forty minutes from anywhere of consequence, including my sister's current house, compared to over three hours from lovely, green, and cool Show Low.

I had a client in Maricopa for a while, I only stopped seeing them because I moved for my last job, which was a disaster, and I am concerned that moving for a job will fall again.

I drove to Show Low every weekend while I was in Page, but Mom's health has gotten progressively worse since then.

The job may have the highest SLPA pay that I have seen, and despite the friend currently moving to Maricopa saying rent is high, my sister says it is low.

I should be able to rent a house comparable to her current one, although lots are about half as big, and landscaped logically--desert.

I would hate to take Mom from a nice and green place to a house decorated with gravel while we see if the job works out and figure out what to do with the old house.

I had been looking into greenhouses and I think that installing one of those and putting in a nice garden would help.

Don't greenhouses keep plants warm?

Would these 4' x 8' sheets be a good starting point?
https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/s...08_116049.html

They are $69.30 each, plus shipping.

The last time that I saw a good-paying opening it filled before I was able to finish my application, and just because I apply does not mean that I am interviewed, let alone offered a job, but I want to plan ahead the best that I can.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'sfunny, I came here to post about sheet materials for a shed. It's hard to keep up.

I use greenhouse glazing scraps for privacy and insulation on the inside of my windows. The horizontal flutes make reflectors that redirect [diffuse] sunlight onto the ceiling.

Anyway, from OSB to insulative sheeting:

Old 04-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
Not Doug

I watched that recently! I do not think that I have found anywhere to purchase Zip-R, but I thought that having it on the outside, with standard insulation inside, would make sense, but I still want to check out those 3.5-inch R-26 panels!

People always say "It wouldn't hurt to try!" I guess that applies to people lowballing my brother-in-law's motorcycle, but he seems to be hurting their feelings when he gives them a definite "No." Just a couple of says ago someone asked why I didn't bother with grad school.

Bother?!

I am on an indefinite plan to get in!

As I have said before, if I get a full-time job (or even just maintain at least twenty hours a week), I can apply to NAU's summers-only program.

Baylor is opening an on-line SLP program, so I told my friend that went to grad school there about a new on-line grad school out of Waco.

He asked if McLennan Community College was now doing grad school. Apparently he assessed that to be more my speed.

He also talked about how difficult it is to get into there and to finance it. I did the math on paying off student loans after graduating.

It looked like the ROI for a teacher earning a Master's. You spent $30,000 to earn an extra $1,500 a year...

However, this is the first year, and supposedly it is easier to get into brand-new programs. Also, they have a Yellow Ribbon program, so my GI bill should cover tuition.

Would it hurt to apply? Kind of. The application fee is $50 and it is a long process. The last time that I tried to apply for a job they required letters of recommendation from my current and last two supervisor. None of them responded.

Baylor does not want professional recommendations, they want to hear from your professors.

I did not have difficulty understanding the material, just remembering. That required more time and energy, not direct attention from my professor, so it sucks to be me for being able to figure out stuff on my own?

I have also read that you need to volunteer to help your professors with their projects.

Who has time for that?!

All right, my sister is kicking me out of the guest house, I will tell you stories later.

[yay]

Reply  Post New Thread