Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should Scott walker and the legislature give up their pensions and health benefits?
Yes I think he and the legislature should volutarily give up all pay this year 7 26.92%
Yes I think the legislature should at least match the cuts and limits proposed to teachers 12 46.15%
Yes the 15% cuts and pension cuts should be across the board 8 30.77%
No he is too important 4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
So, how would an environmentally-conscious parent put his kids on a non-polluting, safe school bus, when the manufacturers don't have to (and don't, AFAIK) build them, and the school districts don't have money to buy them?

Sure as heck, if states and taxpayers put education on the bottom tier of budget priorities, modern buses are at the bottom tier of education priorities.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 02-23-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Education spending is either #1 or #2 in my state; can't speak for other states, so it appears to be a high priority.

I don't know how parents could put their spawn on a clean bus but I do know that the issue isn't even on the radar with them.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Yes, that plants Walker firmly into the union-busting camp, and strips his claims of budget justification to shreds. People like the Kochs and Walker won't be happy until everyone is working at minimum wage, or less, without union rights, for them.
Except that these days, union "rights" are closer to legalized extortion. I think we need to get back to a middle ground: if people want to join unions, that's fine; if other people want to work without having to join a union (or support its political activities), then that should be fine too.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
So, how would an environmentally-conscious parent put his kids on a non-polluting, safe school bus, when the manufacturers don't have to (and don't, AFAIK) build them, and the school districts don't have money to buy them?
Well the voters supported a political agenda of the Left for imposing mandated pollution devices on automobiles. Oh, I guess it wasn't a priority to demand it of government to do the same for state mandated vehicles. (Ah, perhaps some politician's brother in law who has a contract for a fleet of school buses is operating more profitably by not having pollution controls imposed?) Funny how government is always above and exempt from the laws that the rest of us have to follow and the expenses associated with it...

Quote:
Sure as heck, if states and taxpayers put education on the bottom tier of budget priorities, modern buses are at the bottom tier of education priorities.
The position of the political Left is that every problem will be solved by throwing more taxpayer's money at it and then demanding more through coercion.

Regarding your statement: to the contrary, in my state the budget for education is bloated as ever, but the kids aren't any better educated. And the grant money flows, and the administrators get paid more than the teachers do to be their bosses (although they themselves can't teach worth a damn, which is why they aspired to be bosses), and the unionized bus drivers and custodians are all handsomely paid, too. And no one who benefits above and beyond market value for their skills wants to rock the boat. Who wins? Those in power and control and those profiting from the arrangement. Who loses? Those who pay the mandatory tax bill imposed upon them and have no other choice but to do so.

But since you ridiculed and denied the existence of school administrator's unions, why should we believe your partisan opinions about priorities on spending for education? It's all based upon force. Taxation = coercion.

Should we say boldfaced that it's "all for the children"???

Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #45 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Except that these days, union "rights" are closer to legalized extortion. I think we need to get back to a middle ground: if people want to join unions, that's fine; if other people want to work without having to join a union (or support its political activities), then that should be fine too.
Gov. Walker & the Republican legislative majority in Wisconsin want to strip union rights from all state employees. Just how balanced and middle ground is a complete lack of unions? It leaves all state employees in Wisconsin unable to bargain collectively. This is wacko mega government control stripping workers' rights away, and you're complaining about UNION extortion?

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #46 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
Thymeclock, you're blaming the Left for the mandatory air pollution devices that give you the clean air you breathe, and you're also blaming them for NOT forcing the same thing for buses that stink up the same air. Great logic. I'm impressed.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
The position of the political Left is that every problem will be solved by throwing more taxpayer's money at it and then demanding more through coercion.
Well, I'm glad that we're not spending a few hundred billion taxpayer dollars to make Bush's corporate cronies richer while killing a few hundred thousand brown people in the Middle East, and then demanding more through fearmongering.

And then we can talk about my taxpayer money being used to subsidize churches, both through direct tax breaks and "faith-based initiatives." And about my taxpayer money being used for corporate welfare, auto industry bailouts, billion-dollar junk projects for the DoD, subsidies for the oil industry and corn industry, tax cuts for the ultra-rich, tax breaks for the purchase of high-dollar large trucks for the rich, special tax rates for capital gains for the rich...

The Following User Says Thank You to Clev For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Well, I'm glad that we're not spending a few hundred billion taxpayer dollars to make Bush's corporate cronies richer while killing a few hundred thousand brown people in the Middle East, and then demanding more through fearmongering.

And then we can talk about my taxpayer money being used to subsidize churches, both through direct tax breaks and "faith-based initiatives." And about my taxpayer money being used for corporate welfare, auto industry bailouts, billion-dollar junk projects for the DoD, subsidies for the oil industry and corn industry, tax cuts for the ultra-rich, tax breaks for the purchase of high-dollar large trucks for the rich, special tax rates for capital gains for the rich...
I thought this thread was about unions, schools, benefits and the position of a governor of a state. As usual, it is turning into a general Leftist harangue about everything imaginable.

BTW, your school taxes and your state taxes are not determined by Washington. They are a local matter. State governance (with regard to unions) is not a Federal issue. It is the dominion of those who live in that state and is determined by their legislature and elected officials.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
White Liner

What a snake ! The union already agreed to the cuts. The unions might not be perfect but they are still needed.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #50 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I thought this thread was about unions, schools, benefits and the position of a governor of a state. As usual, it is turning into a general Leftist harangue about everything imaginable.
So you're allowed to make sweeping generalizations and I'm not. Typical righty hypocrisy.

Quote:
BTW, your school taxes and your state taxes are not determined by Washington. They are a local matter. State governance (with regard to unions) is not a Federal issue. It is the dominion of those who live in that state and is determined by their legislature and elected officials.
They are? Well, thank you. I'm glad you're here to explain the obvious concepts to us. /sarcasm

Closed Thread  Post New Thread