Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #301 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
How long does a $1,000 pay the electrical bill?
Then when it does burn out you get prorated replacement.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #302 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix'97 View Post
To some that may mean something worthwhile. To others, like myself, ICE vehicles are just more simple and convenient to drive! Need I say more?
That was a response to Oil Pan talking about inverters in used in a solar array to power my home.

I've had an EV for 3 years now. They are dead simple. Plug in when you get home, unplug when you are ready to leave. Simple as that. No different than a cell phone except the cord is bigger. The charger is in the garage and I run the cord under the garage door. In the winter I hit precondition on my phone app 10 minutes before I leave and the car is warmed up and defrosted when I walk out of the door.

I'm just coming up on my first bit of maintenance. At 22,500 miles I'll have to change the cabin air filter. That is it until 120K miles.

However, EVs aren't for everyone. If you can't charge at home I wouldn't get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How long does a $1,000 pay the electrical bill?
Then when it does burn out you get prorated replacement.
About a year. However, each panel has it's own inverter. It would be highly unlikely that every inverter would fail within 8 years. Retail they are about $180 each.

Last edited by JSH; 03-21-2019 at 11:09 PM..
Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #303 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
However, EVs aren't for everyone. If you can't charge at home I wouldn't get one.
Living in an apartment would make owning an EV quite the burden. You would only be able to charge at a charging station somewhere.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:18 AM   #304 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
Each panel being on its own inverter seems to be the more costly of setups.
One big inverter running 2 or 3 inputs at 200v to 575v DC to 240v AC output is the cheaper way to go. That gets you down to around 10 to 15 cents per watt. A bunch of little inverters usually runs at least double that.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 AM   #305 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
EV maintenance

Tesla ends its yearly inspection program because it doesn't make sense.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-car-...-plan-service/
Quote:
Having analyzed billions of miles of real-world driving data from its worldwide fleet of vehicles, combined with internal engineering studies on vehicle reliability, durability, and safety, the electric carmaker found that there was less of a need for customers to bring their vehicles in for annual service when, in many instances, the vehicle did not require maintenance like a traditional gasoline car would.

In place of an annual maintenance checklist, Tesla owners will only need to bring their cars in for service when there’s a service need on a specific component at a specific interval. This will enable cars to stay on roads for longer periods of time.
Air filters, tire rotation, brake check, A/C service, 'winter care'... That's it!

Doing away with regular but unneeded services frees up capacity to provide assistance when and where needed.
Quote:
Your Tesla does not require annual maintenance and regular fluid changes. Please check your Owner’s Manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your Tesla.
Check your manual for the latest recommendations... It is a different world.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-22-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Old 03-22-2019, 04:52 AM   #306 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Tesla ends its yearly inspection program because it doesn't make sense.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-car-...-plan-service/

Air filters, tire rotation, brake check, A/C service, 'winter care'... That's it!

Doing away with regular but unneeded services frees up capacity to provide assistance when and where needed.

Check your manual for the latest recommendations... It is a different world.
So if you are lazy at maintaining your car, an EV is for you. If you are a lazy person, it may also hold true that you won't service your vehicle in terms of charging it regularly. This will be a problem in the winter time for such an owner.

I don't mind servicing my vehicle! It's a small price to pay to not have to charge the thing up with electricity during a snow storm or rain storm! I don't view EVs as a God send!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #307 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Lazy, me?

I don't mind oiling my typewriter arms, nor replacing the tubes in my AM radio and B/W TV when they burn out. I just keep winding up my gramophone, track and spool up the tape ends with my taperecorder and dutifully scrape the rubber ball crap from my computer mouse rollers.

I do rotate tires and will replace filters if that's the only thing needed.
But I won't change a car clutch myself, thank you. Nor do I get under my car to change oil or replace parts of the exhaust system.
Looking forward to getting an EV and be forever done with that.
Frees up time to tinker with other stuff.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-22-2019 at 07:24 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
JSH (03-22-2019), redpoint5 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #308 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Design

I haven't read the whole thread, but the original point #1 might be flawed in that it assumes everyone wants to drive 1000 miles/month.

Better city design would reduce or eliminate most commutes. I like to bike but read a compelling article once on how the bike also misses the point, as things are still too far away. If we designed modern communities like the "old world", your work, grocery store, schools, and other daily needs would be close by.

Rarely visited specialty shops or entertainment venues would be connected by public transit. I think it is possible that in the future individual car ownership will be somewhat rare, with autonomous ride-hailing serving most peoples' needs.

Basing calculations on "I need to drive a 5000lb vehicle 1000 miles/month" might not be accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to canoeist For This Useful Post:
JSH (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #309 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I do rotate tires and will replace filters if that's the only thing needed.
But I won't change a car clutch myself, thank you. Nor do I get under my car to change oil or replace parts of the exhaust system.
Looking forward to getting an EV and be forever done with that.
Frees up time to tinker with other stuff.
I do, proudly, change the oil in my car, every 3 months. I do replace filters, even the fuel filter every 2 years. I have been forced to take apart my exhaust system, my coolant system, and my ignition system! It helps me actually develop a bond with my car rather than merely owning it.

The average consumer won't even change their engine oil or add engine oil but never change the oil filter. Hell, some people constantly run their engines and/or fuel tanks, empty, and yet wonder why the engine suffered a mechanical failure! Or, it could be both with such neglect! Excuse me if it offends you that I find it humorous that the average consumer will take the time to make sure their EV is fully charged and pre-heated before a trip in the cold during winter time. An EV is more of a California car in my honest to God opinion! It's not a matter of not embracing new technology, it's a matter of not seeing the practical use of such new technology in areas where I live and where I see it will pose problems! God forbid a household is out of power for too long, your EV needs it's charge! Ooopsie! Good thing I have an ICE vehicle!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #310 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Gateway drug was an electric Ford Focus. Besides basics like wipers and cleaning there is little maintenance. Rotate tires, change coolant after 10 years, and change the brake fluid when needed. Rated at 76 miles and almost down to 40miles in harsh winter weather the only down side was wanting more range. You don't realize how inconvenient having to go to a gas station is until you no longer have to go to one and breathe stinky carcinogenic chemicals. I pretty much maintain my vehicles myself since I have yet to find a competent mechanic that doesn't do a halfassed job or outright screw things up worse. I have done everything short of tearing down an engine block, not because I really wanted to but because I have learned if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Fortunately I have the skill and ability to do almost all repair tasks. Now that I have had a taste of not dealing with constant time consuming maintenance I am hooked. Still the range limit is a deal breaker for many and this type of EV is really only practical for a commuter and grocery getter which is about 90+% of most peoples driving. This makes EV's not really practical since you would need another vehicle or the expense of renting one for the other 10% of your mobility needs.

My addiction deepens, the Model 3 is an absolute game changer. I cannot go back to ICE. To me an ICE vehicle seems almost as antiquated and quaint as a horse carriage. Not only does model 3 represent an "equivalent" replacement for a gasoline car, It is superior to an ICE car in almost every way:
- more convenient refueling.
---5 seconds to plug in.
---No standing out in the cold waiting like with an ICE car.
---leave home with a "full tank" every day.
- plenty of range for cross country trips.
- very little to maintain.
---Pretty much same as above with the Focus Electric except Tesla wants you to change the coolant ever 4 year or 50k miles which seems overly conservative especially considering coolant in an EV lives a much easier life than in an ICE.
- silence... no noisy engine drowning out your music.
- fuel is about 1/3 the cost compared to my old 4cyl econobox.

As an added bonus the power and instant torque makes it feel like a super car when all you have ever driven is 4cyl econoboxes. Charging speeds could still be improved for long distance travel but for me and I'd imagine most people, being able to add 100-150 miles at simple pottie stop is close enough to the convenience of a gas fill up. Further if you stop for a meal, that's often enough time for a "full tank" of premium electrons. Essentially the model 3 represents the first vehicle than can comparably replace a gasoline car. The only con is the price premium. In another decade with battery cost decreasing, when EVs become available with 300+ mile ranges and cost $20K-$30K. That will be the final nail in the coffin for ICE cars. At that point EVs will be the same or cheaper to buy, far cheaper to fuel, far easier and cheaper to maintain having a significantly less TCO. That is when the ICE will finally go the way of the horse carriage. We are at the beginning of the end. The interesting thing will be to see how long it takes.

Last edited by triangles; 03-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: formatting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triangles For This Useful Post:
JSH (03-22-2019), RedDevil (03-22-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread