Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Old Mech, I see that the engine is rated 3000 RPM sustained, but would you be running it closer to 2,000 RPM?

I was thinking about (please bear with me! ) Mythbuster's car versus motorcycle show. My understanding was that Jamie's fairing with the frontal area of a car was absurd, although even it worked, and that modern motorcycle engines can be as clean as cars. That is rated on PPM, right?

I was just wondering what someone would do if they had some great project like yours, poured time and money into it, and it did not pass emissions. I know that there are always shops near emission testing centers, promising to be able to make a vehicle pass, and I imagine that they would usually simply do a tune-up.
virginia exempts diesel engines from emissions testing Virginia Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, VA Smog Testing Stations at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Quote:
I have heard of cars where they piped some of the exhaust back into the engine to burn the fuel more completely, but I do not know what other techniques there are.

I was just thinking that it would be silly, you have a tiny, yet efficient engine, putting out a fraction of the particulates of a standard engine, but since its airflow is so low, it fails. Could someone install a blower ahead of the muffler to pull in outside air and thin out the exhaust?

Am I a bad person for thinking of this?
the first technique you speak of is EGR. it's done through a valve that is open at low engine coolant temperatures. the ECU closes this valve at operating temperature.

the second technique you speak of is SAI (secondary air injection) it has been used since 1966 (my car uses this in it's cali emissions compliant form) by OEMs. a pump adds air to the exhaust at two points (before the cat during warmup to help burn the unburned fuel, and at the cat during normal operation to help it clean the exhaust).

The Following User Says Thank You to 2007 ion2 For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-22-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The only place where Va does emissions inspections is northern Va, around the DC area.
There are no emissions tests here on any vehicle. They do require the chek engine light to work and not be on when inspected, as well as the air bag light, but I have never heard of any emissions testing on bikes.
One of the reasons it is a 3 wheeler is the regs for a 4 wheeler are basically impossible for any home builder to ever pass, especially the crash testing.
Also a 3 wheeler requires on one of my drives to function, versus 2 on a 4 wheeler or even more if you had a drive at every wheel, which I hope would be the eventual configuration.
The only issues with titling and registration (I checked) is proof of purchase of major components. On a bike that would be the engine, since the frame is a scratch fabrication. I have the documentation for proof of purchase.
regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #123 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
They may ask for a build sheet for the frame, so be prepared fr that eventuality.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
They are more interested in proof of purchase of the components. My brother traded me the engine. I bought the front axle assembly and transmission (have reciepts). The frame is basically the material, metal bending, and welding. I have done a boat trailer before as well as a salvage vehicle, and my 49 Plymouth body on a Nissan truck frame (titled as a 49 Plymouth-had title for truck and car).

Since the build does not constitute a deductible expense, their will be some strategies involved to minimize the tax expense for those who have helped in the construction. I won't go any further into specifics as they are a private matter between me and those involved, but any cost involved will be invoiced to the point where the appropriate authorities will be satisfied with the information provided.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Could someone install a blower ahead of the muffler to pull in outside air and thin out the exhaust?

Not only has what you speak of been done before--it already has a tongue-in-cheek motto:

"The solution to pollution is dillution!"

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #126 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Not only has what you speak of been done before--it already has a tongue-in-cheek motto:

"The solution to pollution is dillution!"
fortunately, if implemented properly, it does do more than just dilute it, but obviously, that is probably how most home grown "smog pumps" end up working.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Could someone install a blower ahead of the muffler to pull in outside air and thin out the exhaust?

Somebody once suggested this @ a local inventor's fair ...

Dunno if anyone had the courage to get him off his cloud, but at least one journalist was dumb enough to pick up the idea and demand why this simple idea wasn't put into practice on cars ...

Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #128 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Somebody once suggested this @ a local inventor's fair ...

Dunno if anyone had the courage to get him off his cloud, but at least one journalist was dumb enough to pick up the idea and demand why this simple idea wasn't put into practice on cars ...
You might be able to claim that it would reduce the PPM, only because you would be inflating the airflow, but the energy required would actually increase the pollution.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #129 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
You might be able to claim that it would reduce the PPM, only because you would be inflating the airflow, but the energy required would actually increase the pollution.
What the AIR or SAI system actually does is provide two things - more oxygen [by proxy] for a better chance of more gasses reacting in the catalytic converter, and a hotter 'burn' environment, which does the same thing, by the same means.

I guess it's really one thing... in two ways. Or something.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #130 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetallicTurd - '94 Ford Aerostar minivan XL
90 day: 25.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
They are more interested in proof of purchase of the components.
I'm clueless to VA's statutes, but my state ask for receipts solely to suck the tax from your wallet. I don't mind paying what is reasonable, but its gotten outa' hand in recent years. However, unless I have a very looong & trusting relationship with the parts seller, I grit my teeth and fork over the actual numbers. Tax evasion is serious business here... and they go after every penny with a shiny pair of handcuffs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-26-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread