Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #141 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
RIP Prius C

Dropping like flies!

Despite adding butch body cladding to try to confuse shoppers into thinking it's actually a hot SUV, sales of Toyota's entry level hybrid have tanked.

Quote:
Toyota is killing off the Prius C

“You’re probably not going to see Prius C for long,” Toyota vice-president of marketing Ed Laukes confirmed to Motor 1.

“The Prius C has served its purpose well.”
Source: https://driving.ca/toyota/prius-c/au...ff-the-prius-c

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019%20Toyota%20Prius%20c%20(5).jpg
Views:	322
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	25556  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
That's an SUV? I thought the 'C' was for compact.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #143 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
The c's problems were 1) it wasn't that much less expensive than a Prius Liftback, and 2) it was never more efficient--a problem exacerbated when the Liftback went into its 4th generation at the same time as the c's EPA ratings were lowered by the new correction factor. The Corolla Hybrid will take the place of the c, which is for the better.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #144 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
The Prius C has been replaced by the Corolla Hybrid. 52 mpg, same platform and engine as the Prius. Basically the Prius in sedan form.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-24-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #145 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Probably the Prius C was more intended to remain compliant to certain rules in markets where a size-based tax bracket is enforced, or other countries such as Ecuador where hybrid fiscal incentives started allowing anything to benefit (thus becoming more of an excuse to import landyachts relying on the tax break as an indulgence) until a 1.5L displacement limit for the incentive got implemented and nearly erradicated the hybrid offers there. Well, the same drivetrain could still be stuck into the Yaris anyway, at least where in won't be phased out so soon...
Old 02-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The C should still continue in Japan. It's still one of the top three best selling cars there, and has regularly been at or near the top over the past few years.

It's just too small for anywhere else. And yes, from experience, the fuel economy benefit versus the regular Prius just isn't there.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #147 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
The C should still continue in Japan.
Considering that Japan has so many market-specific models which are hardly available everywhere else, it wouldn't surprise me if Toyota turned an eventual next generation of it into another JDM-only model, with a hybrid version of the Yaris catering to everywhere else.

Quote:
It's still one of the top three best selling cars there, and has regularly been at or near the top over the past few years.
Because it's not liable to that luxury tax that any car wider than 1,70m is burdened with in Japan. Including the regular Prius.

Quote:
It's just too small for anywhere else.
I guess you have never been in Uruguay, which has been taken over by subcompacts from Maruti Suzuki and some Chinese automakers. And nowadays with so many crowded cities in every country, a smaller car which is easier to find a parking spot for at a downtown becomes desirable. No wonder in my school days a boy who attended the same school when we were 16 told me his father who had an early Renault Mégane hatchback and a Twingo used the Twingo more frequently.

Quote:
And yes, from experience, the fuel economy benefit versus the regular Prius just isn't there.
It might not be so advantageous at all on that matter, but it still has reasonable sales arguments which could apply to some markets.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I guess you have never been in Uruguay, which has been taken over by subcompacts from Maruti Suzuki and some Chinese automakers. And nowadays with so many crowded cities in every country, a smaller car which is easier to find a parking spot for at a downtown becomes desirable. No wonder in my school days a boy who attended the same school when we were 16 told me his father who had an early Renault Mégane hatchback and a Twingo used the Twingo more frequently.
Remember, I also live in a third world market.

What I mean is that the Prius C, for its tech and price, is too small.

At the price point we get it at, despite a 50% reduction in tariff versus regular cars, it still costs twice as much as a Yaris. (looking at the US, base price is still double that of a Mirage, even with the bigger tax incentives there).

This means breaking even is an even iffier proposition than with the regular Prius versus something like a Corolla, because small cars already get great fuel mileage. And there's no fallback on "luxury" or "premium" values with the Prius C, because it's cramped, plasticky and not much better inside than a regular Yaris.

A Twingo, a Mirage or a Maruti Suzuki Celerio is actually much more compact, almost as economical (or even more so, in some cases) and costs a fraction of the price.

It's a similar case to Kei Cars. Sure, the rest of the world would love to have them... but they only work due to tax incentives in Japan. Outside of Japan, the most Kei we will put up with are the Alto (because it's two generations out of date and thus very cheap) and the Jimny (because there's nothing quite like it). High tech and luxurious Japanese market Keis just can't compete in terms of price with global products.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford XLT Naked - '14 Ford F-150 XLT
90 day: 15.04 mpg (US)

Ford G-4 with Stinger - '14 Ford F-150 4X4 Super Crew XLT
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Ford Stealth G-4 - '14 Ford F-150 4X4 Super Crew XLT
90 day: 18.37 mpg (US)

XLT Towing Keystone 5th wheel trailer - '14 Ford Keystone 5th Wheel XLT
90 day: 9.58 mpg (US)

Trip 2015 C Max Energi - '15 Ford C Max Energi SWP
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)

Local 120 volt 2015 C-Max Energi - '15 Ford C-Max Energy SEL
90 day: 55.65 mpg (US)

Local 240 volt 2015 C-Max Energi - '15 Ford C Max Energi SLE
90 day: 57.63 mpg (US)

Energi Combined - '15 C Max Energi Leather
90 day: 51.2 mpg (US)

MoonDust for Travel - '19 Chevrolet Bolt LT
90 day: 123.11 mpg (US)

MoonDust 3 with 90% CE - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
90 day: 127.57 mpg (US)

Ecopia IV - '19 Chevy Bolt Lt
90 day: 126.39 mpg (US)

Ecopia IV Trip Log - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
90 day: 121.01 mpg (US)

Rate Rider Chevy Bolt - '19 Chevrolet Bolt LT-2
90 day: 123.16 mpg (US)

Teal Force One - '24 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
90 day: 96.87 mpg (US)
https://carbuzz.com/features/most-fu...cars-ever-made

This is a pretty good summary article on econoboxes. Note to Phil Kox. PS we owned both a Honda VX, and a 3 cylinder Sprint.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerostealth For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #150 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Remember, I also live in a third world market.
I didn't forget it, but anyway there are different perspectives. Uruguay had been more welcoming for small European cars even when the Philippines were still supplied mostly American cars, before Toyota started flooding the world with its econoboxes.

Quote:
What I mean is that the Prius C, for its tech and price, is too small.

At the price point we get it at, despite a 50% reduction in tariff versus regular cars, it still costs twice as much as a Yaris. (looking at the US, base price is still double that of a Mirage, even with the bigger tax incentives there).
Just to remind the 3rd-world Yaris is not the same as the Euro/Jap/USDM one, and I'm sure it might reflect in the price difference too.

Quote:
This means breaking even is an even iffier proposition than with the regular Prius versus something like a Corolla, because small cars already get great fuel mileage.
Sure the buyer of a Prius C is not the same of the Yaris available in "emerging" markets, even though it might be closer to the Yaris buyer in the US, Europe or Japan. But anyway, in such a small car as the Yaris and the Prius C, hybrids seem to be taking over some market share which otherwise would belong to Diesels which are fading away on entry-level cars in Europe.

Quote:
And there's no fallback on "luxury" or "premium" values with the Prius C, because it's cramped, plasticky and not much better inside than a regular Yaris.
That's why I considered a Yaris hybrid to make sense in case the Prius C gets phased out, unless some buyers are looking for bragging rights as some regular Prius owners are pointed out to do.

Quote:
A Twingo, a Mirage or a Maruti Suzuki Celerio is actually much more compact, almost as economical (or even more so, in some cases) and costs a fraction of the price.
Nowadays with start-stop and regenerative braking becoming widespread in normal cars too, the main advantage of a full-hybrid on heavy city traffic decreases, that's somewhat predictable. But the buyers of those are not the same as a Prius C buyer, just like you couldn't expect a Smart ForTwo cater to the same folks looking for a Piaggio MP3

Quote:
It's a similar case to Kei Cars. Sure, the rest of the world would love to have them... but they only work due to tax incentives in Japan. Outside of Japan, the most Kei we will put up with are the Alto (because it's two generations out of date and thus very cheap) and the Jimny (because there's nothing quite like it).
I remember when the Subaru Vivio and some version of the Daihatsu Mira were available in Brazil in the '90s. Even though the Vivio retained the same engine used in Japan, the Mira resorted to a 0.8L one for export markets. But anyway, microvans such as the Suzuki Carry and the Daihatsu HiJet have a broader international appeal, and nowadays DFSK is exporting some of their Suzuki-based microvans even to some European countries, not to mention the Piaggio Porter which is basically a facelifted older Daihatsu HiJet with a bigger engine.

Quote:
High tech and luxurious Japanese market Keis just can't compete in terms of price with global products.
I see those high-end kei cars as a niche product just like the Smart ForTwo, but I believe they're not so unsuitable to other markets as they might seem at a first glance.

Reply  Post New Thread