Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
How you count is important, though- a plantation owner was most likely the one person counted as owning the slaves
Have you looked at the percentage of the African slave trade that went to North America?
Quote:
They used these seats earned by counting slaves to impose things like the Fugitive Slave Act on free states, denying them the right to decide who was free in their own states.
This is why slaves were counted as 3/5ths of a person in 1789.

You have to admire the dry wit (and bravery) of the people of Hong Kong. This graffiti is the first [two] line[s] of the Chinese national anthem.

https://i2.wp.com/hongkongfp.com/wp-...60%2C641&ssl=1

Arise,
Ye who refuse to be slaves.

(in the background, that's a lot of air conditioners!)

Last edited by freebeard; 07-04-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #142 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Loved the beginning of the video. Sheer genius, bravo!

I disapprove of violations of 4 U.S. Code § 8. If the flag were disrespected as part of political speech, that would be one thing: I can respect an enemy and appreciate it when he telegraphs his intentions. Disrespecting it as an act of "celebrating" it is just sad. I'm giving these people the benefit of the doubt because of their earlier musical genius- there's a chance that they're trolling us, hiding their disrespect of the flag behind their love of shooting guns. But it still looks bad. I love my country more than I love guns: one is simply a tool, one is my country.

I frown on automatic fire. Area effect is best when limited, and has no place at all in civilian life even if you're resisting the gubmint. Really, the best way to resist our government is to place your body in its way, not to shoot at low end government workers (or to forcibly occupy a bird sanctuary). It's best to suppress your love of shooting guns and focus on good effects downrange. Unless you're a Murrican with no philosophy who just loves shooting things, in which case you don't really qualify as a human being.

I have nothing but contempt for people who use 5.56 by choice. The policy that selected that round for our forces did not have the individual shooter's desires in mind. Individual shooters who select that round only proclaim their stupidity to the world and should be prohibited from possessing firearms because of that.

I also have nothing but contempt for the condition of the target rack at the end. Everyone in that video should be assigned ten days of fasting and prayers to atone for their lax targeting rituals. And then another ten days for their disrespect of the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-05-2020), Xist (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #143 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
What did you guys do for Independence Day? We watched the city's firework display from our driveway. We always enjoy it!

Do you guys think that the slave trade stopped when North America stopped buying?

Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 AM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They're just trying to sell coffee.

In 1976 I went to Autzen stadium to watch the fireworks on the 4th. I went up on the backside to smoke a joint, and to the South behind Spencer's Butte there was heat lightning that was more spectacular than the fireworks but completely silent.

There may be more spectacular events in our future:

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Do you guys think that the slave trade stopped when North America stopped buying?
The Mediterranean and Atlantic slave trade ended when Thomas Jefferson sent the U.S.Navy in.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Prohibiting_Importation_of_Slaves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War
The hope was it would strangulate slavery in the South, but it took another 50 years and a war.

After decades of repression in North Africa, Barack H. Obama took out Gaddafi and the slave markets opened up again. The loophole nowadays is indentured servitude.

Fat Charlie — Less problems with flag abuse in this one? Because America, That's Why.

Last edited by freebeard; 07-05-2020 at 01:55 AM..

Old 07-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #145 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Yeah, they held off on it until the very end. But there was no semi-automatic bell choir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #146 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
My cousin died at 46 years of age because he was a dope with health problems (diabetes). He'd probably have lived happier and healthier had he been an indentured servant (type of slave). He was always welcome to stay for free with us so long as he was drug free, and he thrived the 2 years he took us up on the offer when he held down a 40hr job. Any time more than a couple hundred bucks came his way, he'd destroy himself.

Being a slave owner isn't desirable, not because it can't be highly beneficial to someone else (my child is a slave), but because it's an enormous responsibility. To see that not only your best interests are served, but those in your care are served is insanely difficult.

We're all slaves to something. For some reason some folks think being a slave to the state is a pretty good deal. It probably is if you're a dope like my cousin was. I miss the good times we shared when he was living his best life.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 07-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My sister made it to 45. First husband right out of high school was an ex-con. 2nd husband was an alcoholic Indian. Left five kids.
Quote:
Being a slave owner isn't desirable, not because it can't be highly beneficial to someone else (my child is a slave), but because it's an enormous responsibility.
That's why corporations don't pay your rent and groceries, they've figured it out.

Consider the opportunity costs to society as a whole. ...let alone the morality.

edit: Feels like the opening scene in Blade Runner:

2nd edit:
I'm still trying to figure this out, does anyone have a theory.

Blue state, Blue city; prepositioned ordinance.

Quote:
“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America,” Adams wrote. “I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival…It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

Adams was off by a couple of days.

On July 4, after making a total of 86 (mostly small) changes to Jefferson’s draft, Congress officially adopted the Declaration of Independence, though most of the delegates didn’t even sign the document until August 2. Some impromptu celebrations greeted the declaration’s first public readings on July 8, in front of local militia troops in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but the first organized celebration of Independence Day would take place in Philadelphia on July 4, 1777.
http://www.history.com/news/july-4-f...day-john-adams

Bring on the shews. Has anyone pulled down a John Adams statue?

3rd edit:
China poked the bear. Get your popcorn ready.

Last edited by freebeard; 07-05-2020 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #148 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The loophole nowadays is indentured servitude.
It's still not unheard of here in Brazil, plus this was the way how so many German, Italian and Japanese immigrants were brought to Brazil. It's often claimed by left-leaning blacks and their allies that European settlers were just given away land in Brazil, but it's not entirely true. Some bought land which was then dirt-cheap deep in the countryside where not even the Indians wanted to settle, while others were enslaved by debt in a way similar to what was done to Chinese and Indian workers in the U.S. and some Caribbean countries. On a sidenote, it's worth to notice the Japanese used to be treated even worse than slaves during WWII. I still remember an old Japanese lady imitating a stereotypical Chinese accent while talking to me 16 years ago as she might have been used to do in the '40s in order to disguise her ethnicity and avoid being lynched because of her race.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The pre-Revolution colonies had indentured servitude. The 'problems' were that the [Irish?] servants were not treated as a non-renewable resource (better to work them into the ground), and if they bolted they were hard to distinguish from the gen pop.
Quote:
I still remember an old Japanese lady imitating a stereotypical Chinese accent while talking to .... avoid being lynched because of her race.
Time change though, now countries are competing for the Chinese. ...residents of Hong Kong.

UK will give them full citizenship, Oztralia and the USofA want them; even Japan, who have little love since the 1930s, want the financial acumen the 'walking capital' of China's financial gateway to the rest of the World.

TFIglobal: The world has joined hands to decimate the heart of China’s financial might

Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
freebeard

Get your popcorn ready

It may get very interesting...

Soon...

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread