Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Can you convince him to do a video about replacing a heater core?
Only if he posts in an EcoModder thread. I don't post anywhere else.
Quote:
I really want to know how I ended up in this thread, I clicked on [something else]
Was it in your control panel? Off by one error.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #162 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

A little history lesson.

Mr. Edgerton's website

Southern Heritage 411

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #163 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I remember when the Buddhas_of_Bamyan were *ssploded by the Taliban.
I guess I don't need to explain further why I disagree with the BLM attempts to erase history.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-08-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

George Floyd Police Body cam transcript.

http://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/...t207072020.pdf

Court documents here.

Minnesota Judicial Branch - 27-CR-20-12951: State vs. Thomas Kiernan Lane

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tomorrow is the Oregon County Fair. I became disenchanted with the Faire the year there were trannys fabulous weirdos on stilts squirting turkey basters full of some unknown liquid through the windows of the LTD buses taking the day trippers home.

But this year it's virtual: https://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

Quote:
With the OCF’s traditional festivities officially canceled on May 7, the chances that the notable annual event would happen were not good. And yet, as thousands of fair participants have done since 1969, everyone rolled up their sleeves to salvage the often strange and wonderful world that is the Oregon Country Fair.

Running Friday, July 10, through Sunday, July 12, the OCF will offer virtual platforms to access a medley of music, marches, artisans, performance artists and creative bedlam. Only armed with belief in the OCF spirit, fair staff and volunteers have dedicated hundreds of hours in the past weeks to realize a multi-layered experience for guests at the free streaming festival.
Thanks to the OCF’s digital “m8trix” crew, attendees will be able to stroll through digitally realized fairgrounds. The virtual world is complete with decorated booths framed by alder trees, dirt paths that lead to different fair zones and the Long Tom River wandering lazily through.

The m8trix crew realized this almost miraculous conversion by applying a LiDAR scan of the sprawling grounds. (Light detection and ranging technology uses intense pulses of laser light to measure the composition and structure of an area to render a digital map.) Fairgoers can visit their favorite booths, zones, performers or just meander through the grounds just like they would in real life. Even voice levels will depend on proximity to digital personifications.
“We’re so lucky and honored to get to work with the people that put their heart and soul into the fair every year,” Frank said. “Now they’re putting their heart and soul in the ability to bring people together virtually.”

Though it certainly won’t be the same show as the previous 50, 2020′s innovative scene will bring new perspective for fairgoers. Frank said that her first OCF was in the womb and this electronic experience adds some novelty to the pending excitement.

“I was showing a friend of mine the platform yesterday. She grew up at the fair, just like me, and we got lost (at the fair) for the first time in our lives,” Frank said. “It was so magical to get to experience that. I am just blown away.”
www.registerguard.com/.../oregon-country-fair-shares-its-magic-virtually

There's nothing more fun that getting lost at the Faire, but I will miss breakfast at the Tofu Palace.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (07-09-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #166 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Just has to be someplace up there that does Tofu Palace breakfast, your town is famous as a foodie mecca

The faire looks like just a average weekend on the Venice beach

Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Just has to be someplace up there that does Tofu Palace breakfast, your town is famous as a foodie mecca
There's food downtown, but you can't sit on a hay bale under a tree to eat it.
Quote:
The faire looks like just a average weekend on the Venice beach
Burning Man with shade.

Tim Pool's going on about Minneapolis having to pay for their own failings. It reminded me about the calls for social workers walking point for the police.

That got me to thinking about the Bummer Squad. I was working at White Bird Clinic in 1972 (building maintenance). Here's a recent article (the Register Guard is behind a[n email] paywall): thecoastnews.com/protests-bring-alternatives-to-fore-in-police-reform-debate/
Quote:
A program that has garnered national attention in recent weeks is White Bird Clinic’s CAHOOTS (Crisis Assistance Helping Out On The Streets), a crisis intervention program based in Eugene, Ore.

Originating from the larger counterculture movement in the 1960s, the founders of White Bird did not trust the police and wanted to provide a free, humanistic and compassionate health service to residents.

Kimber Hawes, agency outreach manager at CAHOOTS since 2015, said shortly after opening a crisis line, the clinic established its mobile response team, known locally as the “Bummer Squad.”

Teams were dispatched to nonviolent situations in used vans, providing assistance to people suffering from medical and mental health emergencies in Eugene and neighboring Springfield, responding to approximately 23,000 calls between both cities in 2018.

The success rate caught the attention of the Eugene Police Department, which elected to fund a partnership with CAHOOTS instead of hiring additional police officers.

Since then, the nonprofit has established 30 partnerships in the area, including several school districts, public transportation agencies, hospitals and drug addiction treatment facilities.

CAHOOTS

Kimber Hawes drives a CAHOOTS van during an evening shift. The gently-used vehicles responding to non-emergency requests for assistance were known locally as the “Bummer Squad.” Photo courtesy of CAHOOTS

Hawes said the Eugene Police officers attend Crisis Intervention Training, hearing from different community groups and learning de-escalation tactics and how to best utilize services such as CAHOOTS.

“Most of the cops in Eugene are open to that feedback and seek it out,” Hawes said.

According to Eugene newspaper The Register Guard, officials from nearly 20 cities — including Austin, Chicago, Oakland, Denver, New York City and Portland — have reached out to learn more about CAHOOTS.
From the White Bird and the Hoedads to Arcimoto, Eugene has been about 5 years ahead of California.

Last edited by freebeard; 07-12-2020 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #168 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'm not a Pool regular, but interested to hear what he has to say about Jorgansen's thoughtless Tweet. This further reinforces why I don't pledge allegiance to parties, but ideas... until better ones arise.

What ever happened to looney bins? People mentally incapable of providing a living for themselves should have an institution that takes care of them if nobody else is. Did Jack Nicholson really deliver a convincing enough performance to prefer crazies living on the streets?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:33 AM   #169 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IIRC there's nothing in The Constitution about political parties. I 'like' 3rd parties, currently the Birthday party, not the Libertarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_State_Hospital#2009—present:_Reconstruction
Quote:
Amidst the public and federal criticisms against the hospital,[51] the board and trustees put forth a $458 million plan approved by the Oregon Legislative Assembly in 2007, which called for the construction of a replacement hospital in Salem with as many as 620 beds, as well as a 360-bed facility in Junction City.[47] Portions of the dilapidated, 125-year-old main Kirkbride building were torn down and replaced beginning in September 2008.[52] The same year, the entire hospital campus was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[52] Construction of the new Salem facility began in 2009, and was completed around 2011; with the Junction City facility being completed in 2013.[47] Salem mayor Janet Taylor has called for the number of beds to be reduced to 320 or fewer, and another hospital facility to be built in or near Portland.[48]
Under See Also we learn there was an asylum in Portland that preceded the actaul Cuckoo's Nest.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Hospital_for_the_Insane
Quote:
J.C. Hawthorne died in February 1881 leaving ownership of the hospital in the hands of his wife. Dr. Simeon Josephi took over the operation of the hospital from the time of Hawthorne's death until the completion of the Oregon State Insane Asylum in Salem. Control of the patients at the Portland hospital were transferred to state officials in October 1883, with the 268 male and 102 female patients then housed at the facility transported by rail aboard a special O&C train from Portland to Salem on October 23, 1883.[23]

Hawthorne's hospital is remembered as one of the most progressive American mental health facilities of its era.[24] The hospital was marked by empathetic medical treatment and concern for the health and well being of patients by allowing them to work in the fresh air, raising vegetables and livestock, thereby helping them to maintain a sense of purpose.[24]

The bodies of destitute patients of Oregon Hospital for the Insane were interred at Lone Fir Cemetery in Portland, the final costs of which were borne by J.C. Hawthorne out of pocket.[24]
Kesey wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in 1962, the movie was filmed [in the Kirkbride building] in 1975.

President Carter passed the [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/]Mental_Health_Systems_Act_of_1980 and it was repealed by President Reagan thirty days later.

I visited the State Hospital in the 1970s. The couples lounging on the lawn were the least harried people I saw that day.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #170 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Interviewed at Camarillo and Atascadero back in the day for a computer operations job. San Quentin treated the solitary prisoners better. The high functionality people were treated ok.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread