Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
There's simply no relation between the allowed speeds, and the road death toll.
I have to think about the relation to training (and implied social expectations).

I wonder how us 'murricans would do on the german driving tests

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	13766  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Here's a clue: The Eighteenth Amendment is the one that was repealed.
I looked it up. You may have thrown me when you suggested raising the drinking age to fifty-five and then mentioned that amendment.

You know, when I played SimCity on the Super Nintendo, the only way to get relatively low pollution was to get rid of all roads, so I actually had trains instead. Some kid found out and laughed about a couple taking a train to prom, or you could imagine other absurd situations.

If we cannot trust self-driving cars because they can be hacked, maybe mass transit really is the answer after all.

We would only need about one million times as much of it.

We had plenty of drunks on the trains in Germany.

It seemed like most of them were U.S. Soldiers.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I looked it up. You may have thrown me when you suggested raising the drinking age to fifty-five and then mentioned that amendment.

You know, when I played SimCity on the Super Nintendo, the only way to get relatively low pollution was to get rid of all roads, so I actually had trains instead. Some kid found out and laughed about a couple taking a train to prom, or you could imagine other absurd situations.
Some of us have never played Super Nintendo. Or have never gone to a prom. I don't think we missed anything of crucial importance in life, or are any the poorer for not having done that.
Quote:
We had plenty of drunks on the trains in Germany. It seemed like most of them were U.S. Soldiers.
You can voice any opinion you want, but that sounds like one that's tinged with an anti-American bias, and an anti-military one as well.

Soldiers on leave from any country will tend to act like kids on prom night. As long as they don't get into any trouble while enjoying their free time, what does it matter?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #34 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Some of us have never played Super Nintendo. Or have never gone to a prom. I don't think we missed anything of crucial importance in life, or are any the poorer for not having done that.
That is not the point. It was a simulation, but my city worked best with trains instead of cars.

Quote:
You can voice any opinion you want, but that sounds like one that's tinged with an anti-American bias, and an anti-military one as well.

Soldiers on leave from any country will tend to act like kids on prom night. As long as they don't get into any trouble while enjoying their free time, what does it matter?
I am proud to be a Soldier and an American, but that was not how we were trained to act as guests in another country, and they regularly got in trouble. Many Soldiers lost their licenses and rank and every weekend, Sergeants needed to pick up Soldiers at the MP station. They regularly warned us that the Polizei were free to play rough.

However, that is entirely besides the point. Drunk Soldiers may have been making themselves nuisances and targets, but the trains ran anyway and fairly safely.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Anyone else ever notice that vets who honestly report what they saw and did often get accused of being haters?

My unit found that the most efficient way to move a bunch of drunken soldiers was for the NCO club to charter a bus or three. No one drove and everyone was together and under some sort of supervision- and everyone made it (alive and unjailed) to formation in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (09-16-2013), chumly (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Anyone else ever notice that vets who honestly report what they saw and did often get accused of being haters?
The initial statement made was: "We had plenty of drunks on the trains in Germany. It seemed like most of them were U.S. Soldiers." As there was no other information provided, do you see how that singular statement puts the U.S. and/or its military in a bad light by what it implies?

Quote:
My unit found that the most efficient way to move a bunch of drunken soldiers was for the NCO club to charter a bus or three. No one drove and everyone was together and under some sort of supervision- and everyone made it (alive and unjailed) to formation in the morning.
Great solution! It kept them from being unruly on passenger trains and creating a negative image.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
The initial statement made was: "We had plenty of drunks on the trains in Germany. It seemed like most of them were U.S. Soldiers." As there was no other information provided, do you see how that singular statement puts the U.S. and/or its military in a bad light by what it implies?
Looks like a statement of facts without prejudice to me.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
We had many briefings in Germany about not making it obvious that we were U.S. Soldiers and our leaders often told us to not wear Army clothing or bags "in civilian clothes."

That was how I usually identified Soldiers off-post, even if they were not shouting in English.

They told us many times about Soldiers who were killed off-post by anti-Americans. Somehow, I always expected to come home and find some people who treat me like Vietnam Veterans were treated, but thankfully, there has not been anything of the sort.

Quote:
Quote:
Great solution! It kept them from being unruly on passenger trains and creating a negative image.
I have heard of NCO clubs, but we did not have one, although on occasion, they assigned Soldiers to shuttle service on weekends.

I honestly do not know how much the drunk Soldiers may have bothered Germans on the trains. I am a quiet guy, I try to not bother anyone. I just liked to read or rest as I traveled, and that was difficult at night on a weekend.

The bus idea really was a good one. Thank you for sharing.

Gentlemen, I am glad this conversation resolved quickly. I know that I say and write random things, but I was not trying to derail this thread or cause an argument.

O'Doyle Rules!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
So - if we were to reduce the speed limit to 35 MPH or less on all roads, hardly anyone would ever be killed in a crash, right?
That is a flawed conclusion for a number of reasons, which is why I didn't suggest it. I guess this makes you that guy. My issue isn't speed, it's excessive speed for conditions and vehicle specifications.

Quote:
It is not in poor taste to say something that is objectively true. Privates on leave are precisely "highschool kids out on prom night." They need to be supervised by NCOs. But ask yourself why so many Army recruits are gung-ho yet they drive jacked up, fullsize trucks and SUVs at fast and furious speeds.

You can't explain that.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

Gentlemen, I am glad this conversation resolved quickly. I know that I say and write random things, but I was not trying to derail this thread or cause an argument.

I'm glad we understand each other. It's remarkable that there is no argument between us yet some seem to want to turn it into one.

Last edited by XYZ; 09-16-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread