Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Living and working close to I-40 skirted and tapered trucks seem abundant in this state to me. I have a frequent flyer that comes through the area often that I readily recognize with covers, skirts, tapers and I noticed he drives slower than most too. Total ecomodder semi! I still think they are lots of huge gaps that I wish they would fill and the side mirrors just offend my modder sensibilities. Surely they can do a BMW i8 thing and duct a partial kammback from the back trailer wheels through the maditory bumper bracket and get some gains there.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Suki - '11 Suzuki SX4
Team Suzuki
90 day: 26.26 mpg (US)
I think that a half moon shaped piece could be attached to the top of the trailer, and a crescent moon shaped piece to the top of the truck, causing them to fit together like a puzzle piece, and fill the gap between truck and trailer. The shapes of the pieces would allow turning, while keeping the gap filled. Opinions?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hatch - '86 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 50.81 mpg (US)

Sedan - '92 Honda Civic Lx
Team Honda
90 day: 59.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermiler1995 View Post
I think that a half moon shaped piece could be attached to the top of the trailer, and a crescent moon shaped piece to the top of the truck, causing them to fit together like a puzzle piece, and fill the gap between truck and trailer. The shapes of the pieces would allow turning, while keeping the gap filled. Opinions?
Like this!! Vintage Little Tikes Semi Truck Trailer Ride on Toy Fast Free Shipping | eBay

I had one when I was a kid
Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Suki - '11 Suzuki SX4
Team Suzuki
90 day: 26.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbramWagner View Post
Yes! That's perfect! (would need a trap door to connect the trailer.)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Along with the side skirts, trucks could also benefit from wheel skirts connecting to the side skirts. Most of the truck drivers here that added wheel skirts saw about a 2 MPG increase. Throw some of that on a big rig, you will likely see a much larger increase.

Trucks could also probably also benefit from increasing tire pressure. I've seen far too many trucks with too low tire pressure (you can see the tire is almost completely flat on the bottom.)

Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Opinions?
To accommodate pitching movement, one part or the other would need to pivot on a transverse line through the 5th-wheel hitch.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
can't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Or trailer designs should be mandated to be more efficient. I really can't understand why not making them in a monocoque design like it's already done with buses, which would make them lighter and more aerodynamic. And nowadays that air suspension is widespread in heavy commercial vehicles, even some fully-independent suspension setup relying in a trailing arm for each wheel (without axles) similar to what is applied to motorcycle rear wheels could be attempted in order to allow for a lower boarding height where it's possible, thus increasing the interior volume of the trailer while keeping its overall height lower.
Perhaps Sir James Dyson will take up the challenge.He likes to do revolutionary changes in the market.
He will arrive at the solution you've laid out.And he has a multi-billion dollar credit line.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermiler1995 View Post
If the semi is turning off a thoroughfare and up an incline,into an alley for a delivery,whatever is provided for a gap-filler may be required to compensate for pitch and yaw simultaneously.
The crescents would need to be hinged along with a facility to 'ride' the face of the trailer,top included, while displacing,and provide a means to re-'center' once the turn was complete.
I ran into all these issues with my trailer.
freebeard (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Or trailer designs should be mandated to be more efficient. I really can't understand why not making them in a monocoque design like it's already done with buses, which would make them lighter and more aerodynamic. And nowadays that air suspension is widespread in heavy commercial vehicles, even some fully-independent suspension setup relying in a trailing arm for each wheel (without axles) similar to what is applied to motorcycle rear wheels could be attempted in order to allow for a lower boarding height where it's possible, thus increasing the interior volume of the trailer while keeping its overall height lower.
I'm not advocating mandates (especially funded federal ones) but I agree a lower boarding height design has been on my mind. I think the current standard is elegant in its simplicity and probably much cheaper to construct and repair OTOH. I was thinking of side structures like the Ariel Atom but curtained smooth. Incentivize the good designs and let the free market adopt Still have to consider the cost of all of the loading docks that would need to be changed.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Still have to consider the cost of all of the loading docks that would need to be changed.
That's like making a bazillion wheelchair ramps instead of improving the wheelchairs. With airbagged suspension you can just raise the whole trailer.

Reply  Post New Thread