Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Steorn E-Orbo Brushless Pulse Motor - Over 100% Efficient?

Hello Everyone,

What do you think about the claimed overunity efficiency of Steorn's E-Orbo pulse motor?

Basically, it is a brushless DC pulse motor that is claimed to be over 100% efficient and does not experience back EMF. Back EMF is what limits the efficiency of all motors to under 100%. Steorn is launching the E-Orbo technology as we speak. They will be having a public demo this month at the Waterways Center in Dublin Ireland. Also, they have posted a talk about their technology. In the following video they perform a couple experiments on an E-Orbo.

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

In the video they show that the voltage/current of the motor does not change if the system is loaded or accelerates.

Do you think this motor could be over 100% efficient?

Later in the month they are supposed to have live experiments where they measure the energy going into and out of an E-Orbo.

Also, they are supposed to be inviting anyone who wants to do so to come in and take measurements themselves.

What do all of you think?

If this technology turns out to be legitimate it could be used to power electric vehicles.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Out of my mind, back in 5

Nothing is over 100% efficient... Not happening unless you bend a few of the laws of physics...

However you look at it there will still be mechanical losses in the bearings of the axle, there will also be small electrical losses unless they built the whole thing with superconductors, which I find highly unlikely...

That's not to say however it can't be very, very efficient in electrical terms with low back EMF... But to claim over 100% means you are either a moron or expext your audience and buyers are... (And I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about them...) I don't buy their claim of "producing" energy in the motor... If it where that simple we would all be using EV's long ago...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-03-2010 at 06:23 AM..
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpaste View Post
If this technology turns out to be legitimate it could be used to power electric vehicles.
If this technology turns out to be legit, then they've got a perpetual motion machine.

How do you get more than 100% efficiency? How do you get more out than you put in? Only if there is already energy in the system that you can take out, like out of the magnets.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Nothing is over 100% efficient... Not happening unless you bend a few of the laws of physics...
I have a window air conditioner that you could call 1050% efficient. It takes a kW of electricity to move 10.5kW of heat from inside to outside. But that's a stupid way to define efficiency, so we say it has a Coefficient of Performance of 10.5.

Yeah, any claims of efficiency of > 100% are either marketing shenanigans or outright falsehoods.

I don't expect to see revolutionary developments in electric motor efficiency. But if there were a breakthrough, I'd expect to hear about it from the New York Times or a journal, not YouTube.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
toothpaste -

My friend asked me about this a few weeks ago. The website has a very polished video ... their marketing department is very slick. They are claiming overunity and being "in your face" about it. I can't find out anything about these guys. They don't seem to have any track record on anything to me.

It looks like part of their plan is to sell "developer kits" in the 100s of Euros and test hardware in the 1000s of Euros.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I didn't hear a claim of 100% efficiency. He is talking about losses.

Orbo can produce energy, so can a starter motor.

I don't get what is so great about this. It is very difficult to measure efficiency once the efficiency is high. As efficiency is the difference between input power and output power.

If your meters are 1% accurate, the efficiency calculation can be off as much as 10%.

I too have by judicious swapping of meters have seen efficiency of greater than 100%, but somehow I knew this not to be so.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Efficiency over 100%? I don't believe it. There's this Second Law of Thermdynamics thing.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)

This is my Ray-Gun. It's over nine thousand.

I could say it's like... 400% efficient, but I prefer to say over nine thousand. If you want to buy one, I'll sell you a developer kit for less than $500 US. I'll then sell you the equipment to "properly test" the developed developer kit for some $3000 US. Your substandard (possibly "top of the line") Test equipment still won't be able to accurately measure anything past seven thousand. This is over nine thousand. Nine Thousand.

I promise, even though your friends will say they don't see anything happening, it's really happening.

You can send paypal to darkness.suspended@gmail.com for one of my over nine thousand ray guns.

And remember. It's over nine thousand. Nine Thousand.

I'd actually look at the information provided, but I'm afraid I'd just see something like all the crap I typed above. Since I have this particular reply saved as a txt file, and can copy/paste it, I wasted far less time than I would have watching the video and reading any accompanying information.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Well, whatever they made, they are at this address: Waterways Centre
2 Grand Canal Quay, DUBLIN 2, Co. Dublin City, Ireland
I found it on google maps.
Re: the motor they are making, well, it may very well not be a perpetual motion machine. But it may be VERY efficient and we should keep an open mind at all times. Full testing will reveal all.

ollie

ps: here's the web address, if anyones interested:http://www.steorn.com/

Last edited by vtec-e; 01-04-2010 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: included web address
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If they claimed very efficient, then I think very few people would have a problem.

You just get in there are measure the efficiency and compare and contrast with existing solutions.

These guys are claiming that they have invented something that to my understanding is scientifically impossible. So of course there will need to be more and better proofs peer review and so on and so forth.

If it really is true (which it isn't) then science will begin to attempt to understand it and will be modified.

What I want to know is how can I make money by betting against these guys?

The cool thing about science is that it will modify its beliefs in the face of new evidence, might be ugly and might take 20 years but it will happen and in the meantime nobody gets burnt at the stake.

Reply  Post New Thread