Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
I wish I knew how to place the template over a picture and move it. If you placed the template at the rear with the high point being the top of the tailgate in the up position, would the resulting shaded area be the shape of what I'm aiming for?

Or something like this........
Seems about right to me.

My understanding is that the primary benefit is less about having a cavity than conforming to the general shape of that curve for the rear most trailing edges. So if the bed extender falls in that area, just closing off the top and sides of it while extended would likely provide measurable benefit without having to extend it further, though every little bit often helps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Let's not forget the Anal Probe, Sven7's last post was 05-01-2016 07:07 PM.

The proven solution for a pickup truck is the half-tonneau. See this thread https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ate-36859.html, started on 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM by hat_man. Hmm.

Curiously, a half-tonneau is basically a box cavity rotated 90°.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
That idea is still on the board also. I wish I could find a way to use the flip over bed extender and still seal off the tailgate opening. Then I could use the two in tandem for longer road trips.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

FWIW, here's a pickup with a half-tonneau, a folding single-wheel trailer, and side pipe that are capped with Coanda nozzle slots to pull the air toward the centerline:

And another with an oversized aerocap for more usable interior space. The wake of the cab reattaches to the nose of the canopy.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-31-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For me the half tonneau and wing would be what I would really want, but I just couldn't figure out how to make the wing and keep the truck looking somewhat normal. The bed extender idea could be flipped out for driving to work and longer trips and put away for in town jaunts. The truck would still look normal for the most part. The wing would have to be a permanently attached structure and even though would be a perfect conversation starter, would still look a little strange. Makes me wonder if a partial aerocap (pseudo box cavity) with slope and taper of about 6°-7° and maybe 12" deep behind the cab and a half tonneau would be a start and adding the flip out bed extender idea later would be feasible? The partial cap/box cavity behind the cab would be permanent but look a little more "normal" than just a wing attached to the top of the cab. Each by itself would be a benefit. I wonder if they would play nice together?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Been thinking about the flip over bed extender idea some more. Checked on used ones but man are they still expensive and most are for an F-150 or Explorer Sport Trac. Both are too wide for my Ranger. So I'm looking at making one out of PVC fittings and pipe. It doesn't really have to hold any loads in place while extended so it doesn't have to be super strong like metal. I'm thinking 1 1/2" pipe and whatever assorted fittings I can find and a little "on the fly" engineering. I have two ideas in mind and I'm looking for advice on either. I would prefer to plan the work, then work the plan so to speak. I don't like building things twice. Both would have the same view from above, only the side view would change.

I'm open to any advice. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC bed extender.png
Views:	13
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	26621   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC side view 1.png
Views:	8
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	26622   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC side view 2.png
Views:	12
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	26623  

Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
For me the half tonneau and wing would be what I would really want, but I just couldn't figure out how to make the wing and keep the truck looking somewhat normal.

Had I a pickup truck, this is what I'd do, except the outer ends would be beveled. It's a half-tonneau/spoiler combination.

edit:
The manager of the pizza parlor knew it gets better gas mileage, but he didn't know how much.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-03-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've seen that picture before. It may work but I just don't like the aesthetics of it. I want to keep the truck looking as "normal" as possible. The fold out box cavity can at least be put away when not in use (like in town) and flipped out for trips back and forth to work and on longer road trips.

Reminds me of this delivery car that used to be in the next town over. Not very aero, but definitely a head turner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken car.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	26630  

Old 08-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The manager of the pizza parlor knew it gets better gas mileage, but he didn't know how much.
Could very well be the driver(s). When I worked for them, we always fought over who got to drive the 4.3 Astro over the anemic 2.3 liter ones. I know the economy in that thing stunk!
Old 08-03-2019, 11:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Reminds me of this delivery car that used to be in the next town over. Not very aero, but definitely a head turner.
Attached Thumbnails
Now you're just mocking the idea. It's more like a Camper World Cup racer

In both cases I think the corners could beveled or rounded without compromise. If you can hide a horizontal extension, why not a vertical one? In either case you're just trying to get back to the Template line.

Reply  Post New Thread