Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have found it invaluable to understand people's motivations, but despite my dating experience, I do not feel that I have enough of an abnormal psychology background to fully understand why certain root vegetables do what they do. It appears that El Don collects attention, money, and power for the purpose of Making America Greater [for the rich].

Adam, he who Ruins Everything, taught us that the wall would work 0% of the time because people immigrate illegally by plane 40% of the time.

I saw a post with three real ways to improve immigration, first, hire more judges because detainees wait up to two years to see a judge. According to ICE’s fiscal year 2018 budget, on average it costs $133.99 a day to maintain one adult detention bed, $97,812.70 for 730 days. For how many days could an immigration court run on almost $100,000? How many cases could they see in that time?

"Currently, there are approximately 350 immigration judges." "There are currently 733,365 pending immigration cases which means that the average immigration judge would have a backlog of over 2,000 cases."

Quote:
Congress has failed to adequately fund the immigration court system as it has dramatically ramped up immigration enforcement, the case backlog continues to grow. The average wait time for a case to be heard is 721 days, about two years; with wait times in San Antonio, Chicago, Imperial, CA, Denver, and Arlington, VA averaging over 1,400 days (almost four years) as of June 2018.
https://immigrationforum.org/article...ration-courts/

Weird, that original source quoted four sources, ICE, "Immigration groups," say an adult bed costs closer to $200 a night (and $146,000 for two years), DHS, which says it costs $319 to keep a mother and children together, and Health and Human Services, which says it costs $775 per night for children separated from their parents.

Second, they recommend expanding U.S. Refugee Resettlement program to also provide services to asylum-seekers. The third recommendation was to provide humanitarian aid for food, education, and health care, instead of security, and they pointed out that Nicaragua is the second-poorest country in the area, but has fewer people fleeing.

Nicaragua has a lower murder rate than its neighbors.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have found it invaluable to understand people's motivations,

which says it costs $775 per night for children separated from their

Nicaragua has a lower murder rate than its neighbors.
At about $8000 a month I am sure there are folks who could take care of a kid or two for less
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not both? You have a fair point, but that's why the qualifier is 'adequate'. It doesn't have to be impermeable, but just channel movement toward the legal points of entry. The 'big beautiful door'.

No. The idea comes from his predecessor[s]. Like those cages for children.

Thanks for mentioning the building fire. I'm in awe of the 500 firefighters who ran toward that pyre.

This morning I was thinking again about subsonic drones to kill brush fires with sound. It occurred to me that the main rotors of a quadcopter could flutter at ~20-100hz and it wouldn't affect the lift, it would just require fast pitch control. Add tanks of foaming flame retardant for weight so the rotors have something to work against.
The aerial fire attack would have worked great with helicopters which is the main way aerial firefighting is done. Everyone just acted like the planes are the only way to bomb a fire and of course that may not have gone so well. Helicopters bagging right out of the nearby river would have done much better than fireman standing by for hours waiting to even attempt a direct attack. Still would have been terrible.

Personally if my house gets that involved I'd rather it just fully burn to the ground to ease in cleanup, but I don't live in a 900 year old stone and timber cathedral. It's a 70+ year old log cabin at heart built by a sheephearder so nobody would be sad but me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-17-2019), roosterk0031 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xis
I have found it invaluable to understand people's motivations, but despite my dating experience, I do not feel that I have enough of an abnormal psychology background to fully understand why certain root vegetables do what they do.
There's your problem, not dating persons who are weird enough.

Quote:
Adam, he who Ruins Everything, taught us that the wall would work 0% of the time because people immigrate illegally by plane 40% of the time.
Maths don't work that way. Seek other opinion.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,375 Posts
I do my taxes the first week of February. If I've screwed up and we are due a refund I file immediately. If I have done my calculations correctly and owe a few hundred I schedule my filing for 1-April.

For 2018 we paid 10.2% in federal taxes. That is up from 9.4% in 2017. That increase is due to the cap on SALT deductions so we moved from itemizing to taking the standard deduction.

We also own $1315 due to the IRS reducing withholding to make the tax "cut" look bigger than it was. Time to change my withholding AGAIN to try to fix things.

BTW, the IRS doesn't calculate your taxes and send you a completed tax return due to lobbying from Intuit and H&R Block. The idea comes up repeatedly and then dies after those two companies spend millions lobbying against it. The House just passed a bill that will ban the IRS from creating their own free tax prep software. (A bipartisan bill called ironically the "Taxpayer First Act" that just passed on a voice vote)
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-24-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Taxpayers first... Tomorrow, the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-24-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
The House just passed a bill that will ban the IRS from creating their own free tax prep software. (A bipartisan bill called ironically the "Taxpayer First Act" that just passed on a voice vote)
Typical.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The aerial fire attack would have worked great with helicopters which is the main way aerial firefighting is done. Everyone just acted like the planes are the only way to bomb a fire and of course that may not have gone so well. Helicopters bagging right out of the nearby river would have done much better than fireman standing by for hours waiting to even attempt a direct attack.
Have you ever been close to a water drop from a helicopter? It comes down hard. Would have collapsed the roof and pushed the fire into lower parts of the structure.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I do my taxes the first week of February. If I've screwed up and we are due a refund I file immediately. If I have done my calculations correctly and owe a few hundred I schedule my filing for 1-April.

For 2018 we paid 10.2% in federal taxes. That is up from 9.4% in 2017. That increase is due to the cap on SALT deductions so we moved from itemizing to taking the standard deduction.

We also own $1315 due to the IRS reducing withholding to make the tax "cut" look bigger than it was. Time to change my withholding AGAIN to try to fix things.

BTW, the IRS doesn't calculate your taxes and send you a completed tax return due to lobbying from Intuit and H&R Block. The idea comes up repeatedly and then dies after those two companies spend millions lobbying against it. The House just passed a bill that will ban the IRS from creating their own free tax prep software. (A bipartisan bill called ironically the "Taxpayer First Act" that just passed on a voice vote)
Smart way to do it all. This is the first year I've owed, and I owed a lot. The higher standard deduction certainly makes it less valuable to itemize deductions, but I get a little more back by itemization mostly due to charitable giving (which shouldn't be a deduction) and mortgage interest (which certainly shouldn't be a deduction).

We should fire all the politicians that block a federal online tax system. Actually, we should fire all politicians that get in the way of cleaning up the filthy tax code. Anyone putting up resistance is clearly corrupt, and should not ever get another public service job again (politician).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How many other instances does someone send you a bill, tell you to figure out if it's right, and then threaten you if you've done it wrong?
Have you been to a hospital lately?

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-24-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread