Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #371 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
T Vago Thank you. I am able to connect to board now but when avrdude tried to flash the chip it give me error: "Wrong Microcontroller found. Did you select right board from tools>Board menu"

Binary sketch size: 20814 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

The chip is atmega 328-pu. I would like to override this so i looked up how to but didn't work as i'm sure my code is wrong. Now you would ask why i want to overide it. Well chip has no longer valid code inside as while trying to try different board it may have uploaded write code to wrong spot so now displays just some crap. I can still connect to board and chip as you see but i think i may need to overwrite it now. This happened prior to any mods to the code you made. This was with original andruino board which is why it went south. This is why i was asking if andruino ide and your scatch addressed all chips memory. If so i think i just need to overwrite the code and i'm all set. Unless i'm wrong. lol

•PROGRAMMER.force: whether or not to send the "-F" parameter to avrdude, which ignores signature mismatches. Defaults to false if omitted.

Platforms - arduino - The format of files and folders in an Arduino hardware platform. - Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. - Google Project Hosting

Tried this avrispv2.force=true in programmers.txt but that didn't work

Can i also specifiy this speed or is this too fast? avrispv2.speed=128000

My settings are jelly board, programmer v2 you did and upload using programmer.
avrdude currently supports AtMega328P-PU, not AtMega328-PU. That one letter difference is causing your heartache. It's a bit disconcerting that "avrispv2.force=true" didn't work as it was supposed to, but I am not really that surprised. However, I have never had this error pop up.

Are you trying to burn a bootloader onto your chip? This is not necessary, as your ISP programmer takes the place of the bootloader.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #372 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
vrdude currently supports AtMega328P-PU, not AtMega328-PU. That one letter difference is causing your heartache.

Well i'm using Adruino IDE using upload with programmer which is what i should use right? I'm thinking that the guy that programmed it did it somehow. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to run to radioshack and buy AtMega328P-PU. Will then Arduino not complain about the chip? Is there anything extra i will have to do to prep the chip or just put the code in Arduino IDE and upload it.

Will Jellybean board work with AtMega328P-PU chip?

Will Andruino Uno board also complain about the chip and have same result of asking to force it? If so then maybe getting new chip is the answer although somehow that guy programmed it originally somehow.

It's a bit disconcerting that "avrispv2.force=true" didn't work as it was supposed to, but I am not really that surprised. However, I have never had this error pop up.

Is there other statement that needs to be added or maybe it needs to be True instead of true. There is also -F switch. Not sure how to use this.

Are you trying to burn a bootloader onto your chip? This is not necessary, as your ISP programmer takes the place of the bootloader.

I'm just trying to upload your code. I'm not messing with bootloader although i do no know if after my experiments did not mess up bootloader or any other chip space. At this point i'm saying i would like Andruino IDE to write to chip from first octet to last. Chip is no longer booting to 0.86 code as it's already messed up. Thank you very much for your help. I'm almost at the home run now.

Last edited by stewie; 05-18-2014 at 01:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to stewie For This Useful Post:
t vago (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #373 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Well i'm using Adruino IDE using upload with programmer which is what i should use right?
That is correct.

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to run to radioshack and buy AtMega328P-PU. Will then Arduino not complain about the chip? Is there anything extra i will have to do to prep the chip or just put the code in Arduino IDE and upload it.
The Arduino Uno is guaranteed to work with the Arduino IDE. That may be my advice, going from this point on - just buy an Arduino Uno from Radio Shack, program its chip with whatever flavor of MPGuino is desirable, then swap the chips around between the Uno and the MPGuino board.

Quote:
Will Jellybean board work with AtMega328P-PU chip?
Yes. The 328P has picopower energy saving support built in, while the 328 does not. There are a few other differences, such as the signature byte issue you discovered, and the addition of a few extra machine instructions in the 328P, but these are not going to be show-stoppers. Both chips are pin-compatible with each other, and you should have not problem using the 328 in your JBD board.

Quote:
Will Andruino Uno board also complain about the chip and have same result of asking to force it? If so then maybe getting new chip is the answer although somehow that guy programmed it originally somehow.
I will have to check to ensure this is the case, as I do not have any 328-PU chips floating about right now. Give me a week to order a 328-PU chip, and check it with my Uno.

Quote:
Is there other statement that needs to be added or maybe it needs to be True instead of true. There is also -F switch. Not sure how to use this.
Your syntax looks correct, and the parameter should be case-insensitive. I just think that this is one feature that was specified in the Arduino IDE, but that is not actually supported. This sort of thing happens from time to time, where a really obscure function is specified for support, and may have actually worked once, but stopped working after a while due to various upgrades to other, more visible parts. It even happened with my code, as I revised and revised it.

Quote:
At this point i'm saying i would like Andruino IDE to write to chip from first octet to last. Chip is no longer booting to 0.86 code as it's already messed up. Thank you very much for your help. I'm almost at the home run now.
I will continue to help until we get this working together. I thank you for your continued patience.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #374 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
T vago thank you very much again. OK so i got Arduino Uno from Radio Shack and so i thought it would be smooth sailing it was not. lol. I chacked com port for uno and it was correct, changed board to uno changed isp to andruino isp and was getting same error
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync. Ok i played with it for a while and was not able to get this up. So i took chip from it and installed it into JBD board and since i was able to get into the board and chip from your code before but chip was incorrect and i think i was able to flash the chip. Well i'm pretty sure it flashed ok but maybe you can confirm. Not sure where log is but i'm copying and pasting what screen log was showing. BTW only version that worked was Andruino IDE 1.0. 1.05 did not work. Maybe 1.0.1 works too. didn't try. I also tried to upload 0.86 code in but it give me compiling errors that some values are not defined. I thought this code was stable and solid and without any errors. Werid.

....there was more to the upside

avrdude: Recv: > [3e]
avrdude: Recv: . [06]
avrdude: Recv: . [00]
avrdude: Recv: H [48]
# | 100% 7.75s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 20814 bytes of flash verified
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [0f] . [00] . [03] . [0e] . [11] . [01] . [01] . [08]
avrdude: Recv: . [1b]
avrdude: Recv: . [0f]
avrdude: Recv: . [02]
avrdude: Recv: . [0e]
avrdude: Recv: . [11]
avrdude: Recv: . [09]

avrdude done. Thank you.

So i think the chip is ok now but after i took power from it and put it back in (reboot) and still displays this. Not sure if this is chip, code or board now. I may have shorted either some component on the board or lcd itself. Antone wants to take a wild guess if it's lcd itself of board component. I have mulitimeter and good soldering skills so i may wip out schematics and start testing components but maybe someone knows if it's lcd or component and which one it would be shorted most likely. I have no luck with this thing.

P.S
If anyone wants some enhanced Andruido IDE here it is
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

Last edited by stewie; 05-18-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #375 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Hm... Starting at or about at line 225 of the code, what do all of your "#define" statements look like? They should look something like below:

(also - with the Uno, make sure you're just using File | Upload, not File | Upload using Programmer )

Code:
// if the below "#define"s are commented out, code will compile for an AtMega328-series processor
//#define ArduinoMega2560 true
//#define TinkerkitLCDmodule true

// if the below #define is commented out, 16 MHz system clock will be assumed
#define use20MHz true // force 20 MHz system clock values

// only one of the below LCD options may be chosen - choosing more than one will cause a compilation error to occur
// if TinkerkitLCDmodule is used, useLegacyLCD will automatically be used, and the below options will be ignored
#define useLegacyLCD true
//#define useParallaxLCD true

// only one of the below button options may be chosen - choosing more than one will cause a compilation error to occur
#define useLegacyButtons true
//#define useAnalogMuxButtons true
//#define useParallax5PositionSwitch true

// the below options only work if useLegacyLCD is selected. If useLegacyLCD is not selected, the below options will not be inserted at all
//#define useLegacyLCDinvertedBrightness true	// For alternate LCD backlight connections
#define useLegacyLCDbuffered true				// Speed up LCD output

// selectable options - all may be chosen independently of one another, save for serial data logging.
// the serial data logging option will conflict with the Parallax LCD output option, if both are selected at the same time
//#define blankScreenOnMessage true		// Completely blank display screen upon display of message
#define trackIdleEOCdata true			// Ability to track engine idling and EOC modes
#define useSerialPortDataLogging true		// Ability to output 5 basic parameters to a data logger or SD card
#define useBufferedSerialPort true		// Speed up serial output
#define useCalculatedFuelFactor true		// Ability to calculate that pesky us/gal (or L) factor from easily available published fuel injector data
#define useWindowFilter true			// Smooths out "jumpy" instant FE figures that are caused by modern OBDII engine computers
#define useBigFE true				// Show big fuel economy displays
#define useBigDTE true				// Show big distance-to-empty displays
#define useBigTTE true				// Show big time-to-empty displays
#define useClock true				// Show system clock, and provide means to set it
#define useSavedTrips true			// Ability to save current or tank trips to any one of 10 different trip slots in EEPROM
#define useScreenEditor true			// Ability to change any of 8 existing trip data screens, with 4 configurable figures on each screen
#define useBarFuelEconVsTime true		// Show Fuel Economy over Time bar graph
#define useBarFuelEconVsSpeed true		// Show Fuel Economy vs Speed, Fuel Used vs Speed bar graphs
#define useSpiffyBigChars true
#define useFuelCost true			// Show fuel cost
#define useChryslerMAPCorrection true		// Ability to perform on-the-fly fuel injector data correction for late-model Chrysler vehicles
//#define useABresultViewer true			// Ability to graphically show current (B) versus stored (A) fuel consumption rates
//#define useCoastDownCalculator true		// Ability to calculate C(rr) and C(d) from coastdown

// program measurement and debugging tools
//#define useCPUreading true			// Show CPU loading and available RAM usage
//#define useDebugReadings true
//#define forceEEPROMsettingsInit true
//#define useEEPROMviewer true			// Ability to directly examine EEPROM
//#define useBenchMark true				// this is probably broken - last time I used it was in August 2013
//#define useSerialDebugOutput true

// SWEET64 configuration/debugging
//#define useSWEET64trace true			// Ability to view real-time 64-bit calculations from SWEET64 kernel
//#define useSWEET64multDiv true			// shift mul64 and div64 from native C++ to SWEET64 bytecode
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
stewie (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #376 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Okay... Progress on the MPGuino code is as follows: I've added an overall Menu page, similar to what josemapiro suggested with his PowerPoint example. I've started changing the Parallax 5-position button programming to be more like that PowerPoint example, too. This will enable me to add the A-B test viewer, as well as the coastdown test. I simply could not add any more button-press combinations, otherwise.

The Menu page is accessed by pressing <UP> on the Parallax 5-postion button, or by pressing <LEFT> and <RIGHT> together on the traditional 3 button setup. The Setup page, which used to be accessed by these button press combinations, is now a Menu page entry.

As with all other displays, the MPGuino code will continue to reliably gather fuel and distance information in the background. This is different than, say, the UltraGauge - The UltraGauge user manual clearly states that fuel consumption information is not gathered while a menu is displayed.

The beta is posted here - once I have refined it, hopefully with input from one or more of y'all, it will be posted at the first post of this thread.

Update: The current version of my MPGuino code may be found here.

Last edited by t vago; 01-06-2017 at 12:12 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Felar (05-20-2014), josemapiro (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #377 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Okay... Progress on the MPGuino code is as follows: I've added an overall Menu page, similar to what josemapiro suggested with his PowerPoint example. I've started changing the Parallax 5-position button programming to be more like that PowerPoint example, too. This will enable me to add the A-B test viewer, as well as the coastdown test. I simply could not add any more button-press combinations, otherwise.

The Menu page is accessed by pressing <UP> on the Parallax 5-postion button, or by pressing <LEFT> and <RIGHT> together on the traditional 3 button setup. The Setup page, which used to be accessed by these button press combinations, is now a Menu page entry.

As with all other displays, the MPGuino code will continue to reliably gather fuel and distance information in the background. This is different than, say, the UltraGauge - The UltraGauge user manual clearly states that fuel consumption information is not gathered while a menu is displayed.

The beta is posted here - once I have refined it, hopefully with input from one or more of y'all, it will be posted at the first post of this thread.
I've been testing the menu, and it seems to be on track but needs some fixes.
A bug I found, is to move forward, must repeat the line that is down the next menu, but on the top line. How is lets not select the row below.
Another fix would be the arrow that indicates the selected line, position yourself above or below in order to be possible to see the next line to be selected. Ie if you use the up button, the arrow should be down, to show up the next line, if you use the down button, the arrow should be on top, to show the next line below.
For the first presentation this menu is very good, when everything right, I have no doubt it will get 5 stars, is much easier to work.
Another excellent work t vago

Thank you
José Rodrigues

Last edited by josemapiro; 05-19-2014 at 06:47 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
Felar (05-20-2014), t vago (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #378 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi t vago
The icon of microseconds is a bit different from others, I was watching and it really is not easy to find a solution to it, the way that seemed best was this, what seems to him.

Thank you
José Rodrigues
The Following User Says Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
t vago (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #379 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemapiro View Post
The icon of microseconds is a bit different from others, I was watching and it really is not easy to find a solution to it, the way that seemed best was this, what seems to him.
Yah, it was a challenge to find some suitable icon for the microsecond functions. Microsecond functions are really only meant for the serial logging output, they use the same 64-bit computation engine (SWEET64) as the other functions, and I didn't want to further complicate the code by trying to disallow microsecond function output on the display screen.

Changing the microsecond function icon is going to be a fairly low priority change to implement. Must put in RTC support, improve the menu, and add A-B test viewing and coastdown testing first.
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
josemapiro (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #380 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Yah, it was a challenge to find some suitable icon for the microsecond functions. Microsecond functions are really only meant for the serial logging output, they use the same 64-bit computation engine (SWEET64) as the other functions, and I didn't want to further complicate the code by trying to disallow microsecond function output on the display screen.

Changing the microsecond function icon is going to be a fairly low priority change to implement. Must put in RTC support, improve the menu, and add A-B test viewing and coastdown testing first.
Ok
I just gave this idea to see a menu with the icon different than usual, follow the order you want, because they do not have any problem for me is how the icon.

Thank you
José Rodrigues

The Following User Says Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
t vago (05-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread