Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #71 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
CaliforniaCivic, yes I'm satisfied with my 17" tires/wheels. My wife & I think their appearance is perfect for my car, and they barely hurt mpg performance. I can drive the mules with Hollywood Flipper or classic full moon hubcaps most of the time, and switch to the 17" set when I want to show off the car.
Alternatively, what about considering a way to put smooth wheel covers / discs on the pretty air blenders just for the higher-speed, longer trips?

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
humm I wonder if I will notice an increase in my FE

dont laugh but I have a 2010 honda element SC not exactly the most gas friendly vehicle with my best mpg being 24.4 :/

but my oem wheels and tires are very heavy. 18x7 with some 225/55-18s.

they weigh in @62lb wheel+tire

ive purchased some larger wheels.

19X9 and 19X10s with 245/45-19 front 275/40-19 rear. (I understand rolling resistance will be worse.)

but the fronts will weigh in @45lb the rears 49lb

do you think this will effect my economy in a good or bad way?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
humm I wonder if I will notice an increase in my FE

dont laugh but I have a 2010 honda element SC not exactly the most gas friendly vehicle with my best mpg being 24.4 :/

but my oem wheels and tires are very heavy. 18x7 with some 225/55-18s.

they weigh in @62lb wheel+tire

ive purchased some larger wheels.

19X9 and 19X10s with 245/45-19 front 275/40-19 rear. (I understand rolling resistance will be worse.)

but the fronts will weigh in @45lb the rears 49lb

do you think this will effect my economy in a good or bad way?
you didnt think this thru did ya???!!!!!!
1. 19" are always more expensive than 18 or 20.
2. all you have to do is look on tire rack.com under specs
3. old size 27.7 inches in diameter
new tire 27.8 inches in diameter
4. so from that alone you are no better off....just out a lot more $$$$
5. both tires weight 28-29lbs so they are the same.
I really cant believe that the rims only weigh16lb front and 20 lbs rear.....
6. you should have gone with a 20 inch rim and tires that were 29 Inchs in diameter.
7. weight savings.....IF you weight is correct wont really help mileage. But it will reduce the dynamic load on the brakes and suspenion parts.
8. However, the ride will suffer because of the rubberband type tires. The suspension will have to do more work.
9. also the slightly wider width will cause a slight increase in the frontal area, potentially reducing mpg.
10. bottom line....spending to much $$$ for just 'looks' and no gain.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah, your mileage will be quite a bit worse, and it will ride even worse than the standard SC does. BUT, you like how it looks, and that is worth something to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well if it helps the new tires are continental extreme DWS

the wheels are forged and I got a really good deal on them fronts are 20lb rears are 20.9lb

the DWS tires seem to be on the light side of tires of this size.

as for my OEM wheels and tires. the wheels are like 32lb and the goodyear LS2 tires are on the heavy side and perform poorly.

I have a set of steel base model wheels and tires for winter but. they are 16" with 215/70-16. and the tires/wheel package weight is not much diff then the 18s.

and as for the availability and price. yes 19s are harder to find. (for cars that would need 30 series or less.) but the 245/45-275/40 set is an oem tire size for new mustangs and many other performance vehicles. much easier to find then 225/55-18s. and about the same price

the vehicle is a factory mod vehicle. lowered slightly aero kit etc. and the smallest wheels that can be run are 16s. or smaller wheels with a negative offset.....lol and. I havent tried it out yet with the 16" it may drive worse then a normal element due to the suspension.

so I would say I kinda thought it through. and want a compromise.

my goals were

A. light weight
B. have to look decent
C. price.

I was able to get rays forged wheels @1/4 retail price. so for 850$ they endup being the lightest option that wont sacrifice the sport feel by having huge sidewalls.

I wasnt just looking through a wheel book and saying ohhh that looks pretty. I do research on what is strong,what is light,if it happens to look good to its a big plus.

tires for 20s(large trucks) or 18s(cars) may be cheaper. but when your tire size is too big for most cars and too small for most trucks it gets hard.

and ive seen 29s on a base element but I dont know if they would fit on an SC. and... is taller really a mpg increase? or is it just a plesebo from a uncalibrated spedo?

Last edited by racerc2000; 02-09-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
starting with you last comment......

how about you read some posts on tire sizes .....then pull the placebo out of you XXX.

MAYBE you would learn that the 'yahoos' don't post on this forum and we use scangauge and gps to verify our miles traveled......we don't post it if we can't prove it.

And as far as tire size.......you keep quoting tires that are the same diameter.
If you read some of the posts on tires you'd see that generally there is room for a taller tire. Of course, you have to get down and look........

or

you could try to THINK.......nay.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
starting with you last comment......

how about you read some posts on tire sizes .....then pull the placebo out of you XXX.

MAYBE you would learn that the 'yahoos' don't post on this forum and we use scangauge and gps to verify our miles traveled......we don't post it if we can't prove it.

And as far as tire size.......you keep quoting tires that are the same diameter.
If you read some of the posts on tires you'd see that generally there is room for a taller tire. Of course, you have to get down and look........

or

you could try to THINK.......nay.
so. you use a gps and scan gauge for every mile you travel or just when doing tests? I kind of like my car to work as intended. so if I placed taller tires on it ide have to recalibrate the spedo. I use fuelly to track my miles. and kinda like my car to show its real mileage.

will larger tires fit yes Im sure they will. but most people who put larger tires on an element add a lift kit. and why would I do that? my wheelwells are full as it is. most people go smaller diameter and lower it more.

one question I have though if your done feeling superior.

is taller always better? I was thinking shorter would infact be better with my setup if I wanted less sidewall which I dont. the 5 spd auto is over geared as it is. its under 2k rpm @60 and cant go on more then a 3% grade before downshifting. a taller tire would make this worse?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Okay, hey, congrats on the wheels, and let us know what your results are after a few tanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

it seems ive rubbed some people the wrong way. it seems I will have to go elsewhere to get an unbiased answer.

as for anything meaningful that was mentioned. thanks for your time.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
is taller always better? I was thinking shorter would infact be better with my setup if I wanted less sidewall which I dont. the 5 spd auto is over geared as it is. its under 2k rpm @60 and cant go on more then a 3% grade before downshifting. a taller tire would make this worse?
In town, sometimes yes, it is possible that reducing tire diameter will help. I've simulated running my car through the UDDS and HWFET and found that with some trans options a shorter than stock tire will return better results on the UDDS than the stock tires will.

over 1/2 of my commute is ~35mph. At 35mph, my car will go down to 3rd with even the slightest load. Reducing the tire size mitigates this.

Conversely, swapping to a manual trans that is geared longer overall would allow me to get respectable mileage around town in 4th and have good economy in 5th on the highway.

If I ever do the high mileage build I want to do, it will involve the longest geared SOHC transmission, and 23" tires to drop the car by .5", and springs to go down as far as I can total. My rpm in OD would still be approx 10% lower than now.

Reply  Post New Thread