Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #121 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
That's crazy!

About once a month someone goes through my car, which I rarely lock (but never leave anything of value inside).

One time I DID lock it, they busted a window to get the thing of value (snowboard, which was even hidden under a blanket). Makes a person mad & discouraged.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #122 (permalink)

Holy cow, i thought Canada was a safe place to live! I have to learn from this and take precautions. well...

I do leave the car with the windows rolled down in the parking lot. But i leave nothing of value in the car, except a pitbull with massive chompers that'l take your fingers off! My stereo sucks, to save weight there is nothing in the car, and it's not like it's gonna be chopped for a 1 litre engine and have fun running away from the cops in it. I've even been tempted to leave the hatch up so it doesn't bake in the sun.

Though in that same parking lot during night shift i've had my inspection sticker stolen off my plates. And a coworker had his plates stolen off his truck.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

Jeepper - '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
90 day: 19.96 mpg (US)

White Gen II Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57.68 mpg (US)
Sorry to hear that pletby, I installed a fuel shut off for EOC, it cost maybe $10 (switch and wiring). It functions essentially the same as the kill switch, while you maybe able to start the car you won't get far. The wiring should be similar to mine (96 EX), so if you need tips LMK.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #124 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Kill switch nearly done. Got dark fast so it was me, the trouble light and the mosquitos jammed into the passenger seat. All wiring is done, just need to mount the switches. For now I can set the switch beside me to kill the engine, but tomorrow after work it gets hardmounted. Works great! I look forward to not wearing out my ignition switch. Just followed the instructions in the project library. I added a rocker switch inline for anti theft purposes. I like the fact that when I'm done it's going to be hard to tell anything was done at all.

Thanks for the words guys.

Parked the car in front of the house. My eighty year old neighbor that likes to look out for us and is up all night lives across the street. So between her and the street light overhead I think everything will be fine. Now I just have to relax... and sleep.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #125 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Kill switch nearly done. Got dark fast so it was me, the trouble light and the mosquitos jammed into the passenger seat. All wiring is done, just need to mount the switches. For now I can set the switch beside me to kill the engine, but tomorrow after work it gets hardmounted. Works great! I look forward to not wearing out my ignition switch. Just followed the instructions in the project library. I added a rocker switch inline for anti theft purposes. I like the fact that when I'm done it's going to be hard to tell anything was done at all.

Thanks for the words guys.

Parked the car in front of the house. My eighty year old neighbor that likes to look out for us and is up all night lives across the street. So between her and the street light overhead I think everything will be fine. Now I just have to relax... and sleep.
Nice work. I'm sure you'll be fine. These cars still get stolen, but they're in less demand and yours does not have expensive aftermarket parts on it. If they can't even start it when they get in... they'll move on is my bet. And I have had mine for 11 years.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
pletby (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #126 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Filled up after a full tank used. Had a pretty good start: 55.44 mpg I expect I can do quite a bit better as I used the A/C quite a bit and my boss drove the car for 100km burning nearly 1/4 tank. Argh. He's got his car back now so that shouldn't happen again. I also now have the kill switch installed so watch out!

Now my city driving is vastly better than highway driving. What a change over my Contour. Auto trans is hard to get good mileage over long distance in the city for me anyway. This standard trans car is awesome!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #127 (permalink)

69.3 mpg. Had it at 70 at 300 miles till it force regened in the rain uphill.

My car isn't loving my grill block now that i'm driving much slower speeds overall. Have to remove it.

I finally realized how great a Plug in Hybrid would be with even just a 2 mile range. The difference between getting 69.3mpg and 75mpg my goal over a 40 mile commute is probably only 2 miles of free ∞ mpg EV range per commute! 2 miles of EV range per day would net me +5mpg in the long run. Thats just a measly battery capacity! If i had a 4 mile EV range and only commuted 20 miles each day, i would be at 90mpg! I know i would not be at 90mpg-Equivalent, but i would use so much less foreign gasoline which is the point.

Well how cost effective would it be to have a 4 mile range plug in car. Running on the cheapest batteries you could find?

Just a thought that struck my mind when i see a 100 mile range Leaf. It's kind of overkill. Spreading that battery capacity over 10-20 cars would have a more pronounced effect on the consumption and dependence on foreign oil then that one Leaf.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #128 (permalink)

Were a total of 3mpg behind team Metro! Everyone needs to drive 1/10th of a mile better than before over a tank to beat them, that's close!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #129 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Were a total of 3mpg behind team Metro! Everyone needs to drive 1/10th of a mile better than before over a tank to beat them, that's close!
Nope, we're only .1 mpg behind them! Them: 54.13 mpg, us: 54.03 mpg as of right now.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #130 (permalink)

I mean collectively. If one person gained 3mpg for all 28 of us we'd be ahead.