Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2023, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
2017 Ford Escape AWD
Bleh, Ford

Sadly the big 3’s off book “campaigns “ have become fewer and far between.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...rical-problems

Should still bother Ford corporate, especially if the transmission has a paper trail of past issues and see if they throw in a little bit of goodwill coverage.

Could also check if all 13 TSBs were done or not.

Ford knows they have a lemon but they don’t care

If the car transmission failure caused it to stop on a highway you could also file a national highway admin complaint detailing the experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (01-29-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2023, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Going by the statistics - cars are getting steadily more reliable.

From personal experience modern cars are far better than cars from even a few decades ago. My 2005 and 2009 were near flawless - just routine maintenance by the book except for the coolant 3-way valve that feeds the thermos. The 2014 TDI was a bit of a lemon but that is due to the dieselgate emissions fix. I took a gamble - it didn't work out but I sold the car for more than I paid so that isn't' too bad.

Computers - my $250 Chromebook from 2014 still works. I did replace it a few years ago when Google stopped providing security updates. Now it is just a garage computer for looking up things that can get dirty.

Same with tablets. My wife just got a new iPad so I'm using her old iPad Mini 4 in the plant at work to look up BOMs and assembly drawings. It still works fine but I won't use a device for regular use that doesn't get updates. If I drop it and destroy it at work - no harm done. It is from 2015 and got 7 years of updates.

Same with her old original iPhone SE. It dates to 2016 - it stopped getting updates at iOS 15 so it got passed on to my father who doesn't even text so there is no danger from lack of security patches. She now has an iPhone SE 2 - which I'm confident will work fine until it stops getting updates after 5 years.

Speaking of phones - 5 years ago they were super delicate and cracked with the slightest drop. I dropped my company iPhone XR off a motorcycle at 35 mph and it still worked and only had minor scratches on the screen.

I prefer Android to Apple products but I have to give it to Apple - they support their phones for 5 years minimum which makes them cheaper in the long run vs an Android phone that might only get 2 years of updates. I actually just traded a Google Pixel 5A for the new 6A because with the Christmas sale price and Google trade it was a direct spot. I paid $0 to trade in a 1 year old phone for a new one and the Pixel 6A will get 5 years of updates. Here's hoping other manufacturers step up and support their products.

So no - my electronics haven't broken. The problem is eventually they are no longer supported by the manufacturer. My phone batteries have also lasted years but I don't abuse them. You won't see my phone battery getting below 30%.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Going by the statistics - cars are getting steadily more reliable.

From personal experience modern cars are far better than cars from even a few decades ago. My 2005 and 2009 were near flawless - just routine maintenance by the book except for the coolant 3-way valve that feeds the thermos. The 2014 TDI was a bit of a lemon but that is due to the dieselgate emissions fix. I took a gamble - it didn't work out but I sold the car for more than I paid so that isn't' too bad.

Computers - my $250 Chromebook from 2014 still works. I did replace it a few years ago when Google stopped providing security updates. Now it is just a garage computer for looking up things that can get dirty.

Same with tablets. My wife just got a new iPad so I'm using her old iPad Mini 4 in the plant at work to look up BOMs and assembly drawings. It still works fine but I won't use a device for regular use that doesn't get updates. If I drop it and destroy it at work - no harm done. It is from 2015 and got 7 years of updates.

Same with her old original iPhone SE. It dates to 2016 - it stopped getting updates at iOS 15 so it got passed on to my father who doesn't even text so there is no danger from lack of security patches. She now has an iPhone SE 2 - which I'm confident will work fine until it stops getting updates after 5 years.

Speaking of phones - 5 years ago they were super delicate and cracked with the slightest drop. I dropped my company iPhone XR off a motorcycle at 35 mph and it still worked and only had minor scratches on the screen.

I prefer Android to Apple products but I have to give it to Apple - they support their phones for 5 years minimum which makes them cheaper in the long run vs an Android phone that might only get 2 years of updates. I actually just traded a Google Pixel 5A for the new 6A because with the Christmas sale price and Google trade it was a direct spot. I paid $0 to trade in a 1 year old phone for a new one and the Pixel 6A will get 5 years of updates. Here's hoping other manufacturers step up and support their products.

So no - my electronics haven't broken. The problem is eventually they are no longer supported by the manufacturer. My phone batteries have also lasted years but I don't abuse them. You won't see my phone battery getting below 30%.
To be clear, my only problem with my Avalon, as far as reliabilty goes, has been the infotainment center. Other than that I've only done the required maintenance and haven't needed to do anything else. And I don't even have to adjust valve lash or pack wheel bearings!

The computer was one I built myself and I just seemed to have ended up with a defective CPU. I got the CPU traded in for another one without any problem. But finding the fault was a pain as I didn't have another 12th gen motherboard, CPU nor DDR4 memory to try. So I had to send things back through mail and wait for replacements to them one by one.

But it upsets me to see what happens to other people, especially those who I'm close to. I just found out another friend ended up paying $27,000 on a 2009 Subaru Impreza with over 90,000 miles on it. It is the WRX version, but still, the MSRP on a 2023 Impreza is less than $20,000! He also had a part that got damaged that he's been waiting for for months because it's backordered. Maybe I shouldn't get all wound up about other people's decisions.

But the Ford Escape's transmission going out at just about 100,000 miles is still enfuriating in this day and age, especially after what the car had cost them in the first place.

As far as cellphones go, the one thing that I hate is that there are practically zero phones now that have FM radio. I've been in natural disasters where all cellphones, landlines and internet had failed for at least 3 days. The only way to get any helpful information in that situation is via FM radio. Android phones used to have FM radio, but now they don't. So now I can't rely on my phone for listening to authorities during a natural disaster. Add to that the infotainment center doesn't work in the Avalon. So when I'm at work at night cleaning toilets and the power, internet, phone service goes out I will have no idea what's going on or what authorities are asking to be done unless I brought yet another separate device just to listen to FM radio.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 01-29-2023 at 11:27 PM..
Old 01-29-2023, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I know there are deficient transmission designs, but anecdotally I've never had a single one, automatic or manual, fail me. It makes me suspicious of the driver because anecdotally, I have 2 friends who always have transmissions fail, on every single vehicle, sometimes multiple times. They complain how shoddy the transmissions are built, and then I take a ride with them and the transmission is downshifting as they accelerate hard, then coast as they rapidly approach the car ahead. Then as speed bleeds off they are back on the throttle and the transmission is downshifting as the engine screams. Rinse, and repeat. In steady highway cruising they treat the throttle as an on/off switch.

One of those friends asked for my help buying a car about 5 years ago, and I found a 2014 Ford C-max. She hasn't managed to break a single thing on it yet. I specifically looked for something that doesn't have a traditional automatic, dual clutch, or manual. I wanted to avoid all the things she was likely to destroy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-30-2023 at 12:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
It always seemed that Nissan manual transmissions always die an early death.
That makes me laugh. My 240SX has 200,000 miles on the original clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. The Infiniti G20 has 253,000 miles on those parts. I think it had the original gear oil in it when I bought it at 217,000 miles. I had never seen that color of gear oil come out of a transmission when I replaced itīs gear oil. Itīs release bearing sounds horrible though. The 4 speed in the 1975 280Z I had still worked fine when I sold it at 225,000 miles. The 1997 Sentra I had, had over 200,000 miles on it and I bet itīs transmission had never been repaired. My 1994 Sentra SE-R has 182,000 miles but it did have the notorious 5th gear ĻpopoutĻ problem repaired before I bought it.

I would be wary of anything from Nissan newer than year 2000. They started having a lot of quality control problems in the 1990s. I might be willing to take a chance on a newer Nissan if it came out of the Oppama plant in Japan. I think they still build good stuff there.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It makes me suspicious of the driver because
I agree. When I was young a lot of my friends were good at destroying transmissions. I was rough on bumpers and fenders. They werenīt as necessary as the transmission.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang-bang control

I wanted to use bang-bang throttle, but that now refers to an anti-lag system for turbos.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissandriver View Post
I agree. When I was young a lot of my friends were good at destroying transmissions. I was rough on bumpers and fenders. They werenīt as necessary as the transmission.
Fenders are cosmetic, whereas transmissions are functionally necessary. Prioritize function or vanity.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-30-2023, 08:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I’ve had 4 automatics fail in my life
100,000-140,000 miles

Never even have had to do so much as a clutch on a manual

Babied every one and it made no difference.

Last edited by rmay635703; 01-30-2023 at 08:58 AM..
Old 01-30-2023, 09:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I know there are deficient transmission designs, but anecdotally I've never had a single one, automatic or manual, fail me. It makes me suspicious of the driver because anecdotally, I have 2 friends who always have transmissions fail, on every single vehicle, sometimes multiple times....
Same here. I've had more than a dozen vehicles over the years and only 2 were purchased new. I've had zero transmissions fail. My parents have never had a transmission fail, my in-laws have never had a transmission fail, my brother and sister-in-law have never had a transmission fail....

Transmission failure makes me suspicious of driving AND maintenance or lack of maintenance. Modern dual clutch transmissions require maintenance every 40K miles. MANY people don't do this as it is rather expensive. (VW charges about $500). Then there is the also common habit of putting in the wrong ATF because it is cheap and the correct ATF is expensive. ($20 a quart for my old 2014 TDI)

Reply  Post New Thread