Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just a rich mans toy. This is the farthest from being eco.

Maybe the lambo door hinges they are using were an after thought from a poor riced out chrysler 300 and one of the designers thought that was cool, but lets do it to the other doors instead.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
You guys are all downers. It's fantastic. I love it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brucey For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (02-11-2014), NeilBlanchard (02-11-2014), RustyLugNut (02-12-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

Tesla is all over the place where I live. They are the best things on the street for EVs.
I guess many people were critical about the expensive last turn of the century automobiles, too. They were expensive but paved the way for the lesser expensive cars to come.
No one should be critical until they have driven a Tesla a few miles. They must be something special because they are outselling the luxury class Mercedes cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giovanni LiCalsi For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (02-12-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The doors are not what I would have done, but they do did design them to fit in typical situations. And they have sensors in them to stop before they hit anything.

If you find a more efficient, better performing SUV, buy it. Or, at least tell us about it.

The Model X will possibly be the first vehicle to be sold with video mirrors, and it is supposed to have a lower Cd than the Model S, which is 0.24. It will have two motors, one per axle, and all wheels driven.

Here's a video of Elon Musk talking to folks in Norway, about lots of things, including the Model X and the Model E:

Elon Musk Talks Tesla Model X Details, Model S Upgrades, At Europe Q+A Sessions

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, maybe so. Over time mercedes have been more affordable for the masses, maybe the same with the Tesla? I know many evs come up for sale at a reasonable price that needs batteries.

I guess its the smugness of the guys,, like the first prius owners exhibited that turns people away.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's why you don't sell cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
"muscular sinewey feel, the athletic voice of the car". I'm gonna hurl now.

Tell me how much does it weigh, how much power does it make, how long does it make that power, what is the CDA, what is the price, then shut the hell up.
You have to tickle the fancy of the buyer. Unfortunately, raw data is boring to most. Don't crucify him for doing exactly what I would do in his position - motivate those with the money to part with it.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I agree with this sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
Tesla is all over the place where I live. They are the best things on the street for EVs.
I guess many people were critical about the expensive last turn of the century automobiles, too. They were expensive but paved the way for the lesser expensive cars to come.
No one should be critical until they have driven a Tesla a few miles. They must be something special because they are outselling the luxury class Mercedes cars.
I spent a weekend over the Holidays in Napa Valley, California. I ran across three Teslas parked in front of a cafe. All the drivers were enthusiastic and knowledgeable car guys. No, they were not your everyday working stiffs. One was in shipping, one owned a software company and the third was a musician of some note. But, by their purchases, they help pave the way for the technology to move forward. In time, maybe there will be a 7 seat family van that is priced the same as a Chrysler Caravan.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
No one should be critical until they have driven a Tesla a few miles.
I like to point to Bennelson's test drive of a model S. Awesome stuff.
Convinced me that I want one very bad. If someone gave it to me I'd sell the Insight.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
manufacturers have been telling us we want suvs, which are neither sport OR utility, and have been horrible on fuel consumption in general. A 7 seater minivan has far more utility than your average 5 seater SUV. I care that people act like sheep and manufacturers do their thinking for them. If folks care more about the marketing (and what other people who bought into the marketing think of them) than they care about thinking critically about the product then we are perpetually screwed.

Not to mention that this probably $80,000 vehicle will come with $25,000 in subsidies paid for by the rest of us. you can put a pretty sweet EV together on just the rebate, instead of everyone paying a subsidy for more marketing/"SUV" crap.

This stuff affects everyone. Marketing tends to be ageist and racist and a bunch of other target "ists" and is a large portion of expenses, and is everywhere (including here now) and is %100 crap, and you are bludgeoned with it while trying to get the details of the machine.

The more you "sell" ME something the less likely I am to buy it. I cannot reward such behavior. If you do, then you are part of the problem, allowing manufacturers to control all the dialog.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-hack For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
subsidies paid for by the rest of us.
Perhaps Tesla is simply demonstrating that the most efficient way to milk money out of the US government is by manufacturing electric cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to markweatherill For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-12-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread