Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Thank you

I have been told that, if I am to continue posting here, I am not to address any posts that Aerohead makes. That is unacceptable to me, because unfortunately Aerohead is the greatest source of misinformation on this subgroup i.e. the one about car aerodynamics.

What he posts here falls into one of four types of posts:

- completely wrong - that is, utter garbage, that no-one versed in the field would ever support (about 40 percent of his posts)

- misleading in context - that is, because of what is *not* said, quite misleading (about 30 per cent)

- misleading because Aerohead has been proved utterly wrong and is fighting a stupid rear-guard action where black is white (or vice versa) - about 20 percent, but rising quickly.

- really good and interesting posts - about 10 per cent.

Apparently, the owners of the website are happy with this this mix, no doubt because page views are good when such misinformation is being spread without challenge.

As a book author, I find such an approach impossible. In my books, I go to endless lengths to try to nail everything down correctly. For example, in the aero history book, Professor Jeff Howell and I sometimes had 5-6 emails back and forth, all about one tiny point on a single page!

Doug Milliken (one of the most famous names in the field of vehicle dynamics, ever) with whom I am working with on my current history of suspension book, is even more pedantic! (Which is great.)

It is all light-years from the approach taken here: and I just find it impossible to switch effortlessly between 'anything goes' and 'here is the definitive account'.

A few weeks ago, I was told that I couldn't address Aerohead's BS in this forum - and I have considered how to respond since.

I am really sorry, but I think that getting real and credible information out to car modifiers is actually really important. (Why? Because I spend hundreds of hours modifying cars. Yeah, strange I know. Who else would care about such a waste of time of heading in wrong directions? Certainly some here who never lift a finger to do anything real in car mods - it's all just a game to them.)

So unless there is a dramatic change here, goodbye. It will certainly save me many hours of thinking and typing!

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 07-21-2021 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: numerical correction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (07-29-2021), oldtamiyaphile (07-22-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2021, 05:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Thank you for your contribution.

thehill.com: Is the antidote to bad speech more speech or more regulation?
BY JAMES D. ZIRIN, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 04/19/21 08:00 AM EDT

Quote:
The antidote to bad speech and false statement is more speech, not suppression of speech. Or as Justice Holmes put it, “free thought—not ... for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.”
Swaying public opinion is an art-form. In the best of times ....let alone i today's contentious atmosphere. What we learnt in the 1960s (and subsequently forgot) is that to fight it is to feed it.

Last edited by freebeard; 07-21-2021 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I have been told that, if I am to continue posting here, I am not to address any posts that Aerohead makes. That is unacceptable to me, because unfortunately Aerohead is the greatest source of misinformation on this subgroup i.e. the one about car aerodynamics.

What he posts here falls into one of four types of posts:

- completely wrong - that is, utter garbage, that no-one versed in the field would ever support (about 40 percent of his posts)

- misleading in context - that is, because of what is *not* said, quite misleading (about 30 per cent)

- misleading because Aerohead has been proved utterly wrong and is fighting a stupid rear-guard action where black is white (or vice versa) - about 20 percent, but rising quickly.

- really good and interesting posts - about 10 per cent.

Apparently, the owners of the website are happy with this this mix, no doubt because page views are good when such misinformation is being spread without challenge.

As a book author, I find such an approach impossible. In my books, I go to endless lengths to try to nail everything down correctly. For example, in the aero history book, Professor Jeff Howell and I sometimes had 5-6 emails back and forth, all about one tiny point on a single page!

Doug Milliken (one of the most famous names in the field of vehicle dynamics, ever) with whom I am working with on my current history of suspension book, is even more pedantic! (Which is great.)

It is all light-years from the approach taken here: and I just find it impossible to switch effortlessly between 'anything goes' and 'here is the definitive account'.

A few weeks ago, I was told that I couldn't address Aerohead's BS in this forum - and I have considered how to respond since.

I am really sorry, but I think that getting real and credible information out to car modifiers is actually really important. (Why? Because I spend hundreds of hours modifying cars. Yeah, strange I know. Who else would care about such a waste of time of heading in wrong directions? Certainly some here who never lift a finger to do anything real in car mods - it's all just a game to them.)

So unless there is a dramatic change here, goodbye. It will certainly save me many hours of thinking and typing!
Agreed. I would add obsolete, debunked and outdated information, usually to the tune of 20 to 30 years ago then clings to theory and modeling when real experiments with observations have been preformed.
Just put him on ignore and continue to post away it will drive him nuts.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I would add obsolete, debunked and outdated information, usually to the tune of 20 to 30 years ago...
20 to 30 years isn't that long. All the important work was done in Zeppelin's wind tunnels.

And he does change his mind. In The Lounge (where he seldom ventures) is a post called 'magnetism and earthquakes, wherein he agrees that empty space is full of magnetism. It's only a short step to realizing that magnetism and electricity always and only coexist.

I couldn't get him to stop with The Template, but Julian Edgar did. Baby Template never got the acclaim that Aerocivic did.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

As far as I’m concerned you’re both arrogant, pretentious pricks, and y’all deserve one another. Lol...

Also...

It’s my belief we should...

However...

Having said that, I realize they’re others here that require a safe space and it’s disturbing to them.

Therefore in reality...

Darin is going to do what is in best interest for this site. And, well, you can’t blame him. 🤷

Unfortunately, this is where we’re at.

But...But...But...

It’s easy to get around...

Just don’t mention aerohead specifically. Just say blah, blah, something, something.

Thus, it’s not a personal attack.

And guess what...???

We’ll figure it out.

Believe it or not, we aren’t that dumb.

Also, should you choose to leave...

Who will be our contrarian and savior...???

Don’t be so hasty...

Think of the children...

😉

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-21-2021), redpoint5 (07-22-2021), Stubby79 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Watching for a new user named Eulian Jedgar that disrespects capitalization of other peeps handles.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (07-26-2021), JacobLeSann (11-06-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 03:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
We need to build a Thunderdome!

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)

Old 07-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

With blackjack and who-cares?

Old 07-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Attacking the ideas was never the problem; it was always the attacks on the person. It doesn't matter who started it (that's what children argue). Nobody would have been suspended if there had been civil discussion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-22-2021), Hersbird (07-27-2021), Isaac Zachary (07-23-2021), MetroMPG (07-28-2021), RedDevil (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Attacking the ideas was never the problem; it was always the attacks on the person. It doesn't matter who started it (that's what children argue). Nobody would have been suspended if there had been civil discussion.
Exactly. Just because one person believes in HHO generators and another is absolutely sure they don't work doesn't mean that they can't respectfully get along. There are a lot of things I don't agree with on this site posted by others, but I don't take it personal. That doesn't mean I keep quiet either. But if they want to keep thinking that their way of thinking is better than mine that's fine because that's what I do to them. We can all peacefully disagree.

But like I said before, this a forum, nothing more. Edgar Julian seems to believe this is some kind of an encyclopedia collaboration. There are the Ecomods and Hypermiling lists that are kind of an official reference. But not everything that's put on the forums makes it there.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 07-23-2021 at 08:54 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-23-2021)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread