Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Because he is on a site devoted to saving fuel.
Obviously, you're more concerned with superficial numbers than actually quantifying a gain, considering that this is the second time you've made a comment like this. (That I've read. Gods know how many more times beyond that.)

Check the tag in the sig. Sure, the car only gets <20 MPG with him driving it, but he's getting ~40% better FE than the EPA suggests he should be getting. THAT is the point of this site, to do more with less.

Not everyone is going to go out and get a smaller, more fuel efficient car, some would rather do what they can with what they have.

Maybe he's only driving that car on weekends as a cruiser? Maybe it's a vehicle that he drives for pleasure, or for work, or any number of things that you don't currently know, which could affect the situation.

Meanwhile, you've got a minivan with sub-20's posted to your garage. How is that different?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
There are some companies out there that make rims that bolt on to full size truck hub but that take heavy truck tires (80-100psi), there was an article a few months back in Farm Show magazine about these style of rims they claimed longer tire life and better mileage.
changing fluids to synthetic should help as well, you have a lot of gear oil in the rear end, tranny fluid, engine oil, all of those would be good to change.
Then as far as driving goes, you have a vehicle that is designed to tow or haul alot, so when it's empty you can shift alot sooner then you would when it's full.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There are a couple full-size trucks around here with hub adapters and 22.5" rims with LP tires on them. Those guys are serious about hauling stuff around, often pulling farm equipment and full size heavy duty flatbeds.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Obviously, you're more concerned with superficial numbers than actually quantifying a gain, considering that this is the second time you've made a comment like this. (That I've read. Gods know how many more times beyond that.)

Check the tag in the sig. Sure, the car only gets <20 MPG with him driving it, but he's getting ~40% better FE than the EPA suggests he should be getting. THAT is the point of this site, to do more with less.

Not everyone is going to go out and get a smaller, more fuel efficient car, some would rather do what they can with what they have.

Maybe he's only driving that car on weekends as a cruiser? Maybe it's a vehicle that he drives for pleasure, or for work, or any number of things that you don't currently know, which could affect the situation.

Meanwhile, you've got a minivan with sub-20's posted to your garage. How is that different?
Where the hell did that come from? Any of it? My point was, if he can afford a 180,000 dollar car, he doesn't need to save gas. The van is my mom's, and I don't drive it. The truck is solely for towing/hauling.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
You never know... some people just want to save gas because it is the right thing to do. Money may not be the motivating factor here. But there is the possibility that saving money, hypermiling as one of many methods, allows him such luxuries. Did you know that the average millionaire buys used, rather than new, cars? Those kind of habits allow them to become millionaires. "Live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else" - Dave Ramsey.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Okay, no more discussion on the Bentley GT or I'll delete it because it really doesn't have anything to do with anything to do with this thread
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
hope

grille block is good.A deep airdam to block air below front bumper good(as low as bottom of oilpan).An aftermarket fiberglass hood,as Harwood sells for hot rods,which has a huge blister cast into it would help streamline the windshield area.Any kind of bed cover.If your trailer is not a gooseneck,even a sheet of plywood across the rails ahead of gate( half-tonneau) will help.Flex-fan or thermo-clutch if a fixed fan now.Electric fan even better.Fairings behind the duallies could help reduce wake area a bit.belly pan if you can stomach it is better than just front airdam.Can you run without the outside rear tires when not towing?

Reply  Post New Thread