Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Just a little update:
I installed my HID lights into those TYC one piece projector headlights and have been super happy with the results.

Light output has almost doubled (1500 lumens with halogen, 3200 lumens HID) and light coverage is way better.

I've gotten high beamed a couple times with the halogens even though they were aimed right. They did have a horrible hot spot in them. Now with the HIDs in there, I have not gotten beamed once. The light is much more evenly spread on the road.

I also have the final version of my rubber lip on my car (will get pics today). It looks just like the green one posted above but is black, lol.

The next project that I'm tackling is a full exterior LED conversion. I am in the process of making the boards to place inside the rear tail lights. The running/brake lights will consist of 240 red/orange Lumiled LEDs and the turn signals will consist of ~160 Amber Lumiled LEDs. Total wattage for this setup will draw only 48Watts while braking, that's less than half of what the stock incandescent light system draws. Along with the 40W reduction from the HID system I'm dropping just over 120W from my electrical system, for a whopping .16HP increase, lol.

I'll be taking pictures of the whole process this time around so others can see and hopefully be inspired.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-02-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Thanks to some inspiration from Daox, I installed my external plug for my block heater last night so I don't have to pop open the hood on my car anymore.
You can also see the black rubber version of the front air dam that I am currently using.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
you got a great write up going

hopefully you got those visors cheap
(i looked into them for my ride and they were pricey)
spoon mirrors are always bad ass too

i think i like the plug for the block heater the most tho

(i want one even tho i have nothing to plug in)

Last edited by alohaspirit; 12-21-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
What kind of plug did you use there? I was going to use a 12V cigarette lighter socket and lighter plug on the exterior for a battery maintainer on one of my old cars, but I ended up just putting a 110 socket inside the fuel door.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
Christ, he used the same type of plug I use on Zap Xebras. Its a recessed male socket in a weatherproof housing with a rubber gasket around the wires. Ours are made by Helga Electric or something like that.
Make sure the contacts stay dry! After 3 years of use, the plug on a customer's delivery truck corroded and the rust dribbled across the contacts. The car still worked, but plugging it in unbalanced the electrical system in half our building.

~Jimbo

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oval_Overload For This Useful Post:
TomO (04-02-2011), Xist (05-27-2015)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
you got a great write up going

hopefully you got those visors cheap
(i looked into them for my ride and they were pricey)
spoon mirrors are always bad ass too

i think i like the plug for the block heater the most tho

(i want one even tho i have nothing to plug in)
Thanks!
I did get the visors cheap, in fact for free...they were a birthday gift But yes the weathertech stuff is not cheap, but the quality is worth the price as well as the customer service.
I had the passenger side fall off on a trip by some freak act of nature. Sent them an email the next day asking if there was anything that could be done or if I could purchase just the passenger side. One hour after I sent the email I recieved and email stating that the passenger side was being shipped out today and had a tracking number already at no cost to me. the part arrived just 16 hours after me sending the initial email! So Weathertech gets two thumbs up from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
What kind of plug did you use there?
Marinco recessed plug is what I used, and the link is for the cheapest I could find it shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval_Overload View Post
Make sure the contacts stay dry! After 3 years of use, the plug on a customer's delivery truck corroded and the rust dribbled across the contacts. The car still worked, but plugging it in unbalanced the electrical system in half our building.

~Jimbo
The plug is protected from getting splashed by the OEM splash shield in the wheel well as well as it has a rubber boot that fits real snug over the wires in the rear and the back of the plug itself. I also put a dab of black RTV to completely seal up the wires in the back.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
Xist (05-27-2015)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HEY MAN! Sick eco project!!!

I gotta question: What headers are you using with your d15z1? Is it getting good fuel mileage? Is it a 4-2-1?

The reason why I ask is because my VX exhaust manifold is cracked and I need a new one. I'm not made of money so I'm looking for something comparable and pretty thrifty.

THANKS
Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
That VX guy!

I'm just using the Ebay special Stainless Steel 4-2-1 with two O2 bungs (one on runner #4 and one at the collector).

If you can, sometimes you can find OEM VX manifolds for sale for about $40 too. That way it's a simple bolt on affair (if your catalytic converter is still good) and you don't have to go changing your whole exhaust system.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Thanks for these pics. That aero front bumper you made is perfectly cool. How did you make it? Must have required quite a shop, or are there techniques that bring it closer to the reach of those of us with fewer skills?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I'm just using the Ebay special Stainless Steel 4-2-1 with two O2 bungs (one on runner #4 and one at the collector).

If you can, sometimes you can find OEM VX manifolds for sale for about $40 too. That way it's a simple bolt on affair (if your catalytic converter is still good) and you don't have to go changing your whole exhaust system.
thanks tomo.

vx manifolds are near impossible to find. will a 96-00 dx/lx manifold work?

Reply  Post New Thread