Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #91 (permalink)
BMak

Rollin Red - '97 Ford Aspire 3-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Here's my thinking.

The minimum speed limit thing as fas as I can tell is total BS. I read through the Indiana code on speed limits and no such mention of unposted minium speed limits are mentioned. If there is such an animal I don't know where to find it. If somebody can show me where it is in the law, I'll back down.

Doax is right about the "low speed vehicle" thing. There's a difference between a "low speed vehicle" and a vehicle traveling at low speed. Based on what I found, "low speed vehicle" is a term used to describe a class of vehicles such as farm tractors, gold carts, etc. which are incapable of high speeds.

At this point, I'm not sure I did break the other law. It reads,

With regard to the first incident (the "stopping"), if there's no one behind me how can that not be considered "reasonably safe"? That incident is the one he said the ticket was for (not the going 28 in a 60).

I did find another section of the law which may be applicable:

I don't know as this is relavant at all, since I wasn't cited for it but let's go with it anyway. I could see where it's arguable if I was cited for this. In my book I'm not "impeding or blocking" the normal and reasonable movement of traffic if the left lane is clear and people can pass me easily.

I don't beleive this would apply to you , being that as you described people were passing you and were not blocked from doing so , so therefore you weren't disrupting the flow of traffic , so therefore I'd say fight the good fight and just calmly explain your case and mention your experiment who knows maybe the judge will be impressed with what he'll learn lol

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm still not clear, Dave, what was the slowest speed you got down to? 28, 10, or 2?

I'm in the camp of just telling the judge what you were doing.

"No doubt the officer had a reason to suspect I was drunk, but I was just experimenting with fuel economy by seeing how slow my truck can comfortably drive in high gear, and how far it will coast. I was paying close attention to the traffic behind me. Since this happened, I have changed my mind about this method. I came today because I have a clean driving record, I think the cited law does not support the ticket, and I'd like to ask you to dismiss it. Thank you, your honor."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman9000 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (03-17-2012), TEiN (02-29-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #93 (permalink)
20:11:20:16:22:16:34

アキラ - '00 Volkswagen Passat B5 Wagon
It's just that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I'm in the camp of just telling the judge what you were doing.

"No doubt the officer had a reason to suspect I was drunk, but I was just experimenting with fuel economy by seeing how slow my truck can comfortably drive in high gear, and how far it will coast. I was paying close attention to the traffic behind me. Since this happened, I have changed my mind about this method. I came today because I have a clean driving record, I think the cited law does not support the ticket, and I'd like to ask you to dismiss it. Thank you, your honor."
Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #94 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
10mph is WAY WAY too slow for a highway. Period

but he did not break any laws. the low speed vehicle law is a VEHICLE law not a SPEED law. which is why the cop correctly did NOT ticket him for it.

ALSO the law you quotes about impeeding.

NOTE it says AND not OR

AND can not pass on left.

they "could" in fact pass on the left (assuming you were in the right lane)

and as you describe it their were less than 3 cars so it would not apply anyway.

legally you did nothing wrong. you however SHOULD have had your flashers on if you were going to dip to such a low speed you "COULD" miss an overtaking car and he would NOT be liable if he hit you since no reasonable person could guess you were doing 10mph in a 60mph zone AND even if he has depth perception it does not function so well at night.

plus pulse and glide does not work so well at those low and deep a speed shift IIRC. doa 45-60mph pulse and glide. you won't even be noticed doing that in a late night light traffic scenario.

the COP suspected you were "on" something that is why he issued you any ticket he "could" but you can successfully fight it and win since factually you did not break any laws that you were ticketed for.

Next time don't do 10mph on such roadways :-) hehe
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmak View Post
I don't beleive this would apply to you , being that as you described people were passing you and were not blocked from doing so , so therefore you weren't disrupting the flow of traffic , so therefore I'd say fight the good fight and just calmly explain your case and mention your experiment who knows maybe the judge will be impressed with what he'll learn lol
Put yourself in the judges shoes for a moment. He sits there all day listening to a litany of lies and deception by people who have sworn to tell the truth. I'm sure that gets tiring or boring fairly quickly.

To actually hear an honest statement and if the same judge actually believes your fuel economy in a giant truck, I would think it would seem, to him or her at least, to be a refreshing break from the daily monotonous routine.

Most judges I have known would make sure there was some positive reward for candor, and there was no intent to disregard the law.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
slowmover (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #96 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
thats what DASH CAMS are for. Install them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerys For This Useful Post:
Arctic Fox (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wonder what happened in court tonight....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hope he'll let us know, and I hope it wasn't too bad.

Myself; I don't think I'd ever be comfortable using the word coast to authorities,
if you know what I mean!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #99 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I'm not optimistic. Maybe the judge will surprise me.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Update: so apparently last night was just a "hearing" type of thing where you can either pay the fine or proceed forward, Now I have to go back April 11.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Reply  Post New Thread