Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks, that was very informative.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
Not once have I had an overheating issue, and have pulled a variety of things up to 1000 pounds. Up hills, down hills, cruise set at 70.
Is that a utility trailer under your box? I used one, and burned out a wheel bearing by pulling it at highway speeds, when it was rated for 45 mph.

Last edited by Angel And The Wolf; 06-14-2018 at 07:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Angel And The Wolf For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
If I were designing a trailer, I'd probably base it around the Macpherson strut front suspension of a VW Superbeetle. It's about 32" clear between the towers and is designed to carry the light end of a one-ton car.

Car suspension parts on a monocoque box. 13" wheels and up.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
Is that a utility trailer under your box? I used one, and burned out a wheel bearing by pulling it at highway speeds, when it was rated for 45 mph.
It’s the smallest trailer that Harbor Freight sells, but the one with the bigger 1080 pound axle and 13” tires. No issues yet, and at least 5000 miles on it. Most of those miles were significantly under its rated payload (able to pick up and move the back end of the trailer when loaded. This is important because it’s extremely difficult to back with precision).

At any rate, I’m not trying to tell you to buy a utility trailer, I’m telling you that I haven’t had any issues towing a reasonably heavy trailer, like if you were to use the pickup bed. I’m not offended if you decide to go another route, I just want you informed.

If you build a trailer, or anything else, and it doesn’t have a solid skin (say just using fabric), expect no aero benefit. The fabric will just flap in the breeze. I remember a boat tail being built years ago that was covered in heavy plastic that was pulled taunting. It looked great, no aero benefit.

If all you are looking for is a boattail and possibly some cargo toom, you could build off a hitch mounted cargo carrier box. The one I have is stock and rides completely in the wake and doesn’t impact MPG at all. 13 extra cubic feet of cargo volume though (only up to 165 pounds). With this setup you avoid all of the major issues of a trailer (backing, axles, being charged extra at tolls, etc.).

Just giving ideas, use what you like, like I say, I’m not offended if you go a different route than I did.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You have been a great help to the development of my trailer ideas. Currently, my ideas are the boat trailer, with a shortened tongue, (12 feet is to long for "The Profile") with a 3/4 inch floor, and a lightweight (possibly Fiberglas mat covered Styrofoam honeycomb, but more likely, a PVC pipe frame with something like a Formica) shell, opening clam-shell style, with a lip on the floor to seal against rain being blown under and into the cargo area. Not sure yet of the details of the hinge - can't hit the back of the car when opened. might have to hinge at the top of the front of the trailer with an overbite lip for the hing(es). Good use of weatherstripping all around.

Off to work. Drawing to follow later.
aerohead (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If I were designing a trailer, I'd probably base it around the Macpherson strut front suspension of a VW Superbeetle.
Probably beyond my skills. I'm not as talented as many you guys, but thanks for the idea.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
boat trailer..and a lightweight...shell, opening clam-shell style, with a lip on the floor to seal against rain being blown under and into the cargo area. Not sure yet of the details of the hinge
I drew this a while back for another post. The custom 'boat' could be reversed or double-ended.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, that's the idea, but my clam shell would drop down OVER the lower lip, and be Profile curved.
aerohead (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It was a rough sketch that could use detailing... like wheels.

But even if it was smoothened instead of faceted, the difference would be small. IMHO, of course.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Ill have to add a pic in here but I tow a 1538 1970 Fisher Jon boat (square lifted nose) with my 2010 Prius. Today it was 97F full sun 60% humidity and I went 62 mph gps for 3.5 hours and I got 31 mpg. Thats with a ~ 385lb boat, 130lb yamaha 30hp motor, around 60 pounds of stuff in the boat with a cover over everything, and a single axle boat trailer with 8" wheels id assume to weigh 200. So that might be altogether around 775 pounds. Id really say its pretty close to the biggest non aerodynamic thing I would want to take down the interstate. Need to optimize some more things with it.

wyatt (06-17-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread