Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Toyota addresses EMF health concerns with hybrids

Some news for those remembering our previous discussion on the topic: Toyota addresses EMF health concerns with hybrids - AutoblogGreen

Quote:
Whenever electrical current flows through a conductor, an electromagnetic field is induced around that conductor. For many years, some people have been claiming that these electromagnetic fields cause all manner of physical maladies. This is, of course, a highly dubious prospect since the humans are constantly being bombarded by electromagnetic radiation from space as well as from within the earth. In recent years WiFi routers and electrical transmission lines have been commonly accused of causing problems, although no conclusive evidence has been put forward. The latest suspect is hybrid cars (and of course future EVs) which contain high voltage batteries.

Over on the Open Road Blog, Toyota Communications VP, Irv Miller, has addressed the issue with regard to hybrid cars. While neither acknowledging or denying that EMF is an actual problem, Miller does explain how any potential EMF exposure is minimized in his company's vehicles. The main issue with EMF revolves around alternating current. The battery and cabling to the drivetrain only has direct current, which is not considered problematic. Most of the AC EMF is within the engine compartment and what there is, is heavily shielded. According to Miller, Toyota's hybrids emit no more EMF than conventional vehicles and the emissions are only about 1/300th of the recommended maximum as defined by the International Commission on Non Ionizing Radiation Protection.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Hah! Nice, glad to see somebody step up and put the looney's in their place! I still wouldn't mind buying a super cheap prius because somebody is terrified of EMF any sellers? :-)
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
And if you are still worried about the EMF generated from the Prius, just make yourself one of those fashionable aluminum foil hats. Not only will that help you avoid those pesky EMFs, but it will prevent the CIA from reading your thoughts and prevent aliens from abducting you. It's a win, win, win situation!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
I had a woman tell me once I was "rotting my sperm because of my cell phone use and told me I was going to have retarded kids". I guess she wasn't thinking about the satellite dish I was putting on her house, the radon gas deposit her house was on or the cigarette she had stuffed in her face.

And I thought my kid was retarded!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
People (especially Americans) have become "sissyfied" in these times and complain about everything. I used to work in a very large Dealership and would see these kinds of people daily. They complain about the stupidest things and if they don't get a satisfactory response, they go complain to corporate headquarters until they can be pacified with money or something else.

I remember this lady who complained that if she held both her power window buttons in the "UP" position, the driver window was 1/2 a second slower than the other. The poor tech was told to replace motors, then regulators, then weatherstripping, and it came to a point the driver window became slightly faster, so we delivered it. Next day she came in complaining about it and said she did not want it till it was fixed right.

As a Team Leader, I decided to put and end to this waste of time and money and confronted her with the issue. I took her to the showroom where there was a whole line of identical cars. I made her try all the windows and they all had different results.

"Sorry lady, but these windows were not designed to be timed or designed to have the speed changed in them. Frankly, I think your complaint is not going to allow any more warranty repairs since there is nothing wrong with your car and we done all we could to satisfy your needs."

She ended up demanding the phone number for corporate from our manager after that. I have no idea what the outcome was of this, but I think it was one of the biggest wasted jobs that ever came to our team.

I have many similar stories like this one to share from my daily experiences and may start a new thread for that. It's just crazy what people are complaining about.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
I had a woman tell me once I was "rotting my sperm because of my cell phone use and told me I was going to have retarded kids".
And where exactly were you holding that cell phone? :-)
Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Need more details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And where exactly were you holding that cell phone? :-)
I need to know for which ring mode. Ring or Vibrate?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Concerned human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX View Post
Hah! Nice, glad to see somebody step up and put the looney's in their place! I still wouldn't mind buying a super cheap prius because somebody is terrified of EMF any sellers? :-)
The number one rule(due to conflict of interest), is to not believe the safety of a product as preached by a representative of the company. Cigarette companies used to say smoking was safe, as an example. The person making this comment would lose their job if anything negative was said pertaining to the product. BTW, insulting people because of they're beliefs ("looney") is a typical tactic of paid shills.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Concerned human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerp View Post
And if you are still worried about the EMF generated from the Prius, just make yourself one of those fashionable aluminum foil hats. Not only will that help you avoid those pesky EMFs, but it will prevent the CIA from reading your thoughts and prevent aliens from abducting you. It's a win, win, win situation!
Off topic and irrelevant.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Concerned human

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
I had a woman tell me once I was "rotting my sperm because of my cell phone use and told me I was going to have retarded kids". I guess she wasn't thinking about the satellite dish I was putting on her house, the radon gas deposit her house was on or the cigarette she had stuffed in her face.

And I thought my kid was retarded!
What's this got to do with EMF levels in a hybrid?

Reply  Post New Thread